What's new

Can anyone help with these pipes?

Guys:

My uncle gave me what is left of his pipe collection the other day. He quit smoking seven years ago, and has now decided to get rid of them. Most are quite used, but three of them are interesting. Two of these have never been smoked.

View attachment 128353

The top one is an "Old Mokum" from Holland that has never been smoked. The middle one is a "Peterson," and do not know what the bottom one is. It has a ceramic lined bowl, and has not been smoked either.

I have the original box and papers for the Peterson, papers for the Old Mokum, and nothing on the other one.

I was wondering if there is a market for these (like vintage razors?) Any ideas on value or how to best sell them? I quit smoking myself two years ago, and still find the idea of enjoying a pipe to be quite tempting!! (I don't dare light one up!)

Thanks in advance for any info you all have to share!

A very nice, very collectable, selection there Brad.

There is a big market for genuinely unsmoked "estate" pipes...particularly Petersons.

Have a look on ebay for completed listings to get an idea of prices for estate Petersons, then add on some extra for the fact it's boxed! The Pete looks like a 317 Standard System Ebony ($64 RRP for new here in the UK).

The Old Mokum is made by Zenith, Van der Want, Holland. Looks like it's meerschaum.

The third one is an Almond shape (iirc), rustic finish, sounds like it's meerschaum lined...again, a VERY nice pipe!

Last edited:
Update: Apparently Old Mokum are porcelain pipes! They can be washed out with warm soapy water after use so they make ideal "taster" pipes like clays.

Why not give them a try? If you really wanted to get rid of them, contact MARK STEWART at www.pipecraft.org. He can clean them/restore them no mater how bad off they are and probably give you an idea of a value.

Thanks for the info, guys!

The Peterson is a 221s Black Spigot, according to the box. 221s is also stamped on the side of the stem just below the sterling silver band. It has been smoked, but was not used very much. It was given to my Uncle by a friend who died over 25 years ago, so I really can't date it much beyond that. Uncle did not like the pipe, or the others that were given to him, as he is a simple and frugal soul who dislikes anything but the lowest price items available.

Of the used pipes he gave me, the most used ones have no markings or names on them. I assume they were purchased at the local drugstore from a cardboard display for under a dollar apiece, if I know my Uncle!! Another is a Dr. Grabow, not used very much at all.

I so greatly fear the nicotine addiction that I must not allow myself the pleasure of even a single smoke. That is how I got started smoking a pack a day again after quitting five times previously!!

Again, thanks for the info and link to Pipecraft!

God luck on those pipes. For what its worth, I have never had the nicotine urge with pipes. I smoke when I want, and I don't smoke when I am not in the mood. I tend to smoke more when I am in the presence of pipe smokers though. If you still smoke the cigarettes, use the pipe as a means of quitting cigarettes.

Top Bottom