What's new

Can anyone compare Tallow and Steel to DG, and WK

Morning all,
Is anyone able to compare T&S to DG and WK? I’ve got dry sensitive skin it appears and these are my two go to soapmakers at the moment. Curious about T&S though. Another datapoint would be that I find B&M Reserve performs well but is a little drying for my face.

I can't comment on performance except to say all three perform well to me. As for scents I find T&S overpowering and at times quite chaotic. Limited experience of DG. I like the WK scents I have. I'd prefer Grooming Dept to all three.

I have something from all 3 companies as my determining factor is scent and I have alot of soaps.
Probably T&S is the best soap of the three but their scents are very hit or miss. I only like one scent from them.

I have something from all 3 companies as my determining factor is scent and I have alot of soaps.
Probably T&S is the best soap of the three but their scents are very hit or miss. I only like one scent from them.
I agree. I find T&S to perform a touch better than DG buffalo and WK donkey milk, but have yet to find a scent that I love. There are a few that I like, but I enjoy several DG scents more. WK scents are also hit or miss for me.

As far as post-shave feel goes, all are very good for my “normal” skin. I like the post-shave from Grooming Dept and Barrister and Mann Reserve more than T&S, DG, and WK.

Tried all the ones you listed and honestly get Grooming Department. That was the best post shave and skin feel soap I've ever used. My skin is fairly sensitive but I've got a fair fast growing and wire like beard. I also usually don't react well to most Aftershaves, just makes my skin more upset most of the time. I've found just soap and rinsing with water after to be the best for me. This means i rely heavily on the post shave feel of the soap itself and Grooming Department is tops. I've found that any of their stuff performs really well, vegan vs. duck vs. beef, it's all outstanding.

I have not tried Tallow and Steel, but I have tried a lot of other soap bases. A lot of reviews of T&S indicate the performance is good, but the scents may not be.

For me after shave conditioning is a large part of the experience. In alphabetical order, some soaps I can recommend that you try are:
1. Ariana and Evans goat milk formula
2. Barrister and Mann new Excelsior base. I like the Reserve base as well, but Excelsior contains lanolin which might be better for you.
3. Cold River Soap Works Glide formula
4. Declaration Grooming Icarus formula
5. Grooming Department
6. Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations sheep milk formula.
7. Wholly Kaw donkey milk formula with which you are already familiar. I have not yet tried the new Buffala formula with water buffalo milk, but some say it is even better than donkey milk.

I tried WK for about 2 weeks. Something just missing for me. My shaves don't seem as close or last as long. I use a straight and usually get near BBS with all other products I use (DRH, MWF, Tabac, Arko etc). No complaints otherwise.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Tallow and Steel then Grooming Department I don't care for WK I find it to be only average and lacking in post shave feel

All top tier shaving soap are so close in performance nowadays that any difference is almost entirely subjective. YMMV.

I definitely hear you @Bogeyman. I can get a decent shave from many makers and it may just be the difference between needing a balm vs. a toner in the post shave sometimes for me. I am finding though that I can “trust” some soapmakers or some lines in some soapmakers inventory more than others. Thanks for all the input and opinions shared. Sounds like samples of T&S may be in order if I decide to try them out.

I’ve tried them all and here’s my picks from best on down

Grooming Dept
Wholly Kaw (great for dry skin)
DG
T&S

These are my top 4 also and the separation between them is very, very small to me. Each of the above uses excellent ingredients. T&S especially only uses essential oils. Each yields a terrific post shave.
I also enjoy the following quite a bit for post shave and overall performance:
Talbot
Ballenclaugh Soaps Shaving Soap
Ariana & Evans
Turtleship
Lisa's Naturals new formula
B&M Reserve
Cold River Glide
Long Rifle

I tried WK for about 2 weeks. Something just missing for me. My shaves don't seem as close or last as long. I use a straight and usually get near BBS with all other products I use (DRH, MWF, Tabac, Arko etc). No complaints otherwise.
I had the same experience. I also noticed a slight late day irritation that I attribute to the ends of the stubble feeling sharper. Like the hair actually cut a little differently. Non scientific, but that was just my feeling.

Top Bottom