What's new

Can anyone check my plan for cleaning vintage safety razor?

Here are my plans
1. Dish soap and clean with water.
2. Dip in heated water (not boiling).
3. Apply polish and clean with water
4. Using med kit alcohol cloth and clean with warm water.
Since I am in Thailand these are only the item that I can find.

Polishing
2056647975-636945576.jpg

Med alcohol kit
2059978121-1763486965.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Seems like a solid plan to me. I’ve cleaned well over 50 razors I’ve bought off ebay with just toothpaste. They all turned out satisfactory. I boil water then dump it on the razor. Let it soak for a while until the water is cool enough to touch. Then scrub with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Rinse and done.

Here are my plans
1. Dish soap and clean with water.
2. Dip in heated water (not boiling).
3. Apply polish and clean with water
4. Using med kit alcohol cloth and clean with warm water.
Since I am in Thailand these are only the item that I can find.

Polishing View attachment 952424
Med alcohol kit
View attachment 952425
Yes, this seems to be fine. I have cleaned razors this way and thought they were clean but then took them apart to find heavy and hard crust inside. If I am not going to take it apart I soak the razor in a crook pot on low for several hours with a good cleaner like dish soap or simple green. Many suggest scubing bubbles, use with caution, if the razor is chrome it will damage it. Go easy on the polishing, the finish is thin. As already mentioned toothpaste is great and your wives toothbrush.

Yes, this seems to be fine. I have cleaned razors this way and thought they were clean but then took them apart to find heavy and hard crust inside. If I am not going to take it apart I soak the razor in a crook pot on low for several hours with a good cleaner like dish soap or simple green. Many suggest scubing bubbles, use with caution, if the razor is chrome it will damage it. Go easy on the polishing, the finish is thin. As already mentioned toothpaste is great and your wives toothbrush.
Dish soap is ok right?

A mild dish soap should work well. Just be sure to soak your razor for a good while in warm water with the soap, then repeat until you have cleaned things up!

I picked up a very cheap ultrasonic cleaner and it's done some really good work on my gunked up TTO razors. Most of them are moving very smoothly now and the biggest problem one I had has definitely improved. I use hot tap water, a couple drops of dish soap and I cycle it through for about 30 minutes.

The soaking and cleaning with gentle detergent is a solid plan for either of the razors pictured. You are putting it against your face, you should clean it. As far as polishing with toothpaste or other abrasive, best to know what it is you are polishing and what level of abrasive you are using. Toothpaste can vary quite a lot in it's abrasiveness. See A little haze on my aluminum for more discussion on polishing. A short soak in vinegar will disinfect, emphasis on short.

Last edited:
The soaking and cleaning with gentle detergent is a solid plan for either of the razors pictured. You are putting it against your face, you should clean it. As far as polishing with toothpaste or other abrasive, best to know what it is you are polishing and what level of abrasive you are using. Toothpaste can vary quite a lot in it's abrasiveness. See A little haze on my aluminum for more discussion on polishing.
Can you check the post above?? The second one is need to clean. And it is aluminum handle.

Do you recommend to dip in hot water?
When you shave you rinse your razor with hot water so if that does not clean it to your satisfaction then you need more aggressive methods as already mentioned. I like the idea of a ultrasonic cleaner, I just don't have one so I use a crook pot and more time.

If sanitizing is your goal, you have plenty of advice here. You can just sanitize the heads, and wash the handles separately in a mild detergent like dish soap. For me regardless of how shiny the surfaces are, sanitizing the heads would be a top priority. Think about what level of preparation you would want on a surface that touches your face with the real possibility of also coming into contact with broken skin.

Can you check the post above?? The second one is need to clean. And it is aluminum handle.
Aluminum is softer go easy with harsh cleaners or methods, if it is solid and bare then a polish specifically for aluminum would be a option. Some bare metals are coated and this coating can be damaged. I have a brass lamp that was coated with a lacquer, it should not be polished with brass polish, for example.

Aluminum is softer go easy with harsh cleaners or methods, if it is solid and bare then a polish specifically for aluminum would be a option. Some bare metals are coated and this coating can be damaged. I have a brass lamp that was coated with a lacquer, it should not be polished with brass polish, for example.
Can you check my new post??

Top Bottom