What's new

Can anybody compare the Tatara Masamune or Nodachi with the Razorock Game Changer or Lupo razors ?

The blade is allot more rigged in the Tatara. It also sings a little (not the blade), which is cool i think. You are comparing two really good razors here, so i think it comes down to personal preference. Both are cnc machined, but the tolerances are tighter in the Tatara.
The handle goes into the base plate locking and aligning the blade.
The Nodachi was a little to efficient for daily use. The Masamune was a little to mild. If you buy directly from Tatara i would get the Masamune handle and top cap and the Nodachi base plate.
This configuration is just as efficient as the Lupo, but smoother.
The Lupo gives you more blade feel. The blade flexes a little more. It is as efficient as the Tatara, but feels more aggressive. It also requires a different shaving angle. The optimum cutting angle for the Tatara is around 24 deg. The lupo is probably around 30 deg.
The Lupo is probably a little easier to use.
Thanks for the great information.
This combination of Masamune and Nodachi is something that I am considering.

Reactions: JPO

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I shave every day and have what I believe to be a fairly coarse, thick and fast growing beard with skin that is mostly smooth and on the soft side but not terribly sensitive (??).
The growth pattern is quite regular N->S, except for the sides of the throat.
Areas of concern for me are below the nose and the crease of the chin below the upper lip, but actual problem areas are the sides of the throat the corners of the mouth and less so, the adams apple.

My price range is ideally <$200. The Razorock options are great value, but I have considered others like the Tatara and Blackland razors.
My aim with DE razors is to have something that works well and is easy to use on autopilot and on off days while I develop my skills with straight razors.

I am really only interested in stainless steel machined razors, but titanium is also something that I would consider trying at a push. Yes I fantasize over the Blackbird Ti (never mind what I wrote about my price range).

I consider the Tatara razors to be a good compromise between quality, price, smoothness and efficiency, but have yet to actually prove that by using one.

Thanks.
Thank you very much for your detailed response. :)

My beard grows wiry, fast and in chaotic swirls. Sounds like we have some similar problem areas.

I do not have a Tartara razor, although their sale is tempting me with a Nodachi SB with the shorter handle.

Have you considered getting an Artist Club (AC) razor?

Thank you very much for your detailed response. :)

My beard grows wiry, fast and in chaotic swirls. Sounds like we have some similar problem areas.

I do not have a Tartara razor, although their sale is tempting me with a Nodachi SB with the shorter handle.

Have you considered getting an Artist Club (AC) razor?
No, I have not looked at those. With the replaceable blade razors, I would like to stick to something that I can buy blades for at the local supermarket if need be, so these would be a bit too specialized.
Thanks for the suggestion, I see that they have quite a good discount right now!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
No, I have not looked at those. With the replaceable blade razors, I would like to stick to something that I can buy blades for at the local supermarket if need be, so these would be a bit too specialized.
Thanks for the suggestion, I see that they have quite a good discount right now!
Lots of sales right now.

You mentioned the Blackbird (a favorite of mine). Blackland Razors has the Stainless Blackbird on for $130.

Id definitely look at the various sales. Good time to buy a really nice razor for a very reasonable price. :)

Lots of sales right now.

You mentioned the Blackbird (a favorite of mine). Blackland Razors has the Stainless Blackbird on for $130.

Id definitely look at the various sales. Good time to buy a really nice razor for a very reasonable price. :)
Thanks for that.
So the Blackbird is now just about the same price as a Tatara.
And comparing those is not an easy task...
I would guess that the Blackbird is not as smooth as the Nodachi/Masamune combinations.

Last edited:
Reactions: JVS

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for that.
I would guess that the Blackbird is not as smooth as the Nodachi/Masamune combinations.
That's where opinion comes in: I find the Stainless Blackbird SB to be a very smooth, very efficient and highly effective DE razor. :)

YMMV warning

I prefer the Nodachi over the BB and yes I've tried the Ti version.
Tatara razors are quality DEs. I can't compare to the RR. My favourite combo is the Masamune OC baseplate and Nodachi cap (on a Masamune handle, regular or mini). The OC plate is not harsh, even the Nodachi OC is smooth but overkill for me. They hold the blade tightly and give me smooth shaves.

YMMV warning

I prefer the Nodachi over the BB and yes I've tried the Ti version.
Tatara razors are quality DEs. I can't compare to the RR. My favourite combo is the Masamune OC baseplate and Nodachi cap (on a Masamune handle, regular or mini). The OC plate is not harsh, even the Nodachi OC is smooth but overkill for me. They hold the blade tightly and give me smooth shaves.
What do you prefer about the Tatara vs the BB ?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Can you compare the Blackbird with one of the Razorock razors ?
As @Fedsbackhand states, this is heavy YMMV territory.

Where DE razors are concerned, the Ti Blackbird is at the top of my DE Big Dogs. The Brass and Stainless Blackbirds are right behind, running with my Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB, Timeless Ti Slim, Charcoal Goods Brass Level 2 and a few other new and vintage razors.

I favor razors that are nimble, maneuverable and highly effective (my #1 overall razor is the Blackland Vector AC razor).

The Tatara razors are of interest, which is why I was looking at their sale. If you decide to get one, I look forward to your comments. :)

Holds and supports the blade way better. Just look at the design of the heads. Although the BB does hold the blade under tension it isn't as smooth ATG. I now mostly use SE razors so prefer a design like Tatara or the WR1 when choosing a DE. I would point you in the direction of the Vector or Sabre if you want a Blackland.

If I understand correctly, you have tried the Masamune and the Lupo .95 but not the Nodachi or Game Changers/Lupo .72 ?

And what would you choose if you didn't have to stay with Tatara/RR ?

By the way, I looked for your tread, but I haven't found it. Yet...
Here is the thread:

I have tried all the razors you listed except the Nodachi. I really like the Lupo .72. The Timeless Titanium .68 scalloped is what works best for me. It is my only Timeless but I would like to try more.

Thanks for the great information.
This combination of Masamune and Nodachi is something that I am considering.
I just tried the full Nodachi setup with a feather blade. It confirms to me again why i do not use this setup. To get a close shave on my lower neck area i need to do some buffing, even with this efficient razor. For me the Nodachi does not allow much buffing an fast strokes.
The Masamune top cap with The Nodachi OC does allot better here. The Lupo actually does a little better in this area.
The reason i am holding off on the BB is that i think i will get the same issue with that on my lower neck. Small gap combined with high exposure and a flexible blade have not worked well for me. I guess it is more complicated then that, but still.
I have even found milder razor to be quite efficient by applying a little more pressure riding the cap going against the grain. I usually need two to three passes anyway, and i feel like i end up in the same place at the end without the skin feeling raw.

Try a milder blade. Full Masamune is great with a feather. Nodachi not so much.
The gillette Yellow have been my preferred blade in more efficient razors, maybe i will try that. I have tried other blades in this razor, but if i want this much blade exposure i will reach for my R41 GS.
If i compare it to my R41, the R41 does a far better job on my lower neck then the Nodachi. I think it has something to do with the head geometry. I am just not getting along with the Nodachi on the lower neck. Open comb razors seem to work better in areas where the hair grows in different directions for me. If i use a milder razor i need to use short buffing strokes and if i use a more efficient razor i prefer to use fewer more precise strokes, using an steeper angle to "catch" the hair. Something i like about the R41 is the wide shaving angle. The Tatara has in my opinion a more narrow sweet spot in terms of cutting angle envelope.
That is something i like about the Lupo as well. It has a wide cutting angle envelope, which makes it really easy to use.

Maybe it is just me, but the open comb base plates works much better for me in this particular razor. I also think the positive blade exposure the Nodachi top cap gives is a challenge with the rigid blade clamping. It is really unforgiving when you compare it to something like the Lupo.
The Muramasa adjustable is completely different again with a little less rigid blade support (cantilever length).

It's not just you, I prefer the open comb plates and feel they support the blade even better than the closed. Agreed about the narrower cutting window, especially with the standard Masamune.

I get good results with GSB and Polsilver with the Nodachi.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@StellaNova - Remember, all any of us can do is provide you with our opinion of how a particular razor works on our face, skin and beard. :)

To figure out what works best on your face, skin and beard, you may want to try some higher end razors from manufacturers that offer a "money back" period. There is no substitute for personal experience. :)

Last edited:
Here is the thread:

I have tried all the razors you listed except the Nodachi. I really like the Lupo .72. The Timeless Titanium .68 scalloped is what works best for me. It is my only Timeless but I would like to try more.
Thanks for finding that thread, it was quite informative.

@StellaNova - Remember, all any of us can do is provide you with our opinion of how a particular razor works on our face, skin and beard. :)

To figure out what works best on your face, skin and beard, you may want to try some higher end razors from manufacturers that offer a "money back" period. There is no substitute for personal experience. :)
Thanks, I understand that everybody is different, not only with respect to skin type and beard, but also with respect to technique and other factors too.
This is the reason for my somewhat tongue in cheek initial post.
I still think these discussions can be helpful, but in the end, as you say, it's YMMV all the way.

Top Bottom