What's new

Can any soaps made by Razorock compete with the top tier?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have noticed that soaps made by IB/Razorock are dirt cheap. I am curious: can any of them compete with the likes of B&M, A&E, or any other top tier brands?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The Dead Sea and Santa Maria del Fiore are the best ones, IMHO. They come in a big glass jar of 250g or 8.8 oz. You can get those for $14 each during some of the Italian Barber sales.

Razorock is all about value. I don't really think they are trying to compete directly with WK, etc. However, the Dead Sea is a great soap for this time of year and you get your money's worth with it. They also have matching splashes for most of their soaps.

It is really difficult to argue with a 150g tub of Don Marco (bergamot & neroli) for $3.99.

Last edited:
RR helped me break into traditional wet shaving. The prices are excellent, they have some great scents, and performance is okay, definitely better than canned foam. For the most part, they are decent, but I feel you will be disappointed in them once you have used the soaps you have mentioned.

The Dead Sea and Santa Maria del Fiore are the best ones, IMHO. They come in a big glass jar of 250g or 8.8 oz. You can get those for $14 each during some of the Italian Barber sales.

Razorock is all about value. I don't really think they are trying to compete directly with WK, etc. However, the Dead Sea is a great soap for this time of year and you get your money's worth with it. They also have matching splashes for most of their soaps.

It is really difficult to argue with a 150g tub of Don Marco (bergamot & neroli) for $3.99.
I came here to say just this. These soaps are basically MdC.

They're not expensive enough to be considered as anything more than a value brand.

I don't have a ton of experience with Razorock, but currently have Dead Sea & SMdF on hand (have also used Mudder Focker in the past). My time with it has been great. If you value the superfatted unicorn milk postshave promised by the newer artisans, yeah, Razorock will likely be underwhelming. It's all in what you're looking for.

Very nice soap for the money, especially those big tubs of smdf and ds and good scents too.
But performance wise you can find better soaps.

Razorock soaps do the job and provide decent slickness and protection. They don't go beyond that for me but sometimes, a good shave is all I want.

I'd like to add one more bit of info to this thread. While I realize your question was specifically about Razorock, often it's the nature of the question that intrigues me. If you are looking to spend as little as possible just to have a variety of good quality soaps, then Razorock is hard to beat. But if you are just plain looking for high quality soaps at bargain prices, you might consider some of the most classic, most trusted soaps in existence, and save yourself a ton of money in the long run. See... once you have tried the best, it sets a high standard for everything else, and keeps you from going broke as quickly :) Anyway, here are my recommendations:

Cella
Tabac
La Toja
Palmolive cream

And one other suggestion regarding trying out new soaps: buy samples until you find the one. I know I'm not the only one who has nearly a century's worth of soap that I paid tons of money for and will never get used. People tell you to buy blade sampler packs, but rarely do they encourage you to buy soap the same way.

Good luck.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
About 60% of my soaps are Razorock and I find them just as good or better than competitors IMO.
My favorites in no order are Lavender, The Dead Sea, XXX, Santa Maria del Fiore.......! I still have not tested them all and that is just as enjoyable until next time I put in a order. They also have other artisan soaps they sell that a lot folks enjoy also.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I a number of artisan soaps. Expensive, by comparison, to many of the classic soaps that have stood the test of time.

My Desert Island soaps are Haslinger, Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac. I can always count on them.

The RazoRock soaps I've used perform fine and are excellent values for the money.

I use Hyaluronic Acid daily in my post-shave routine so my skin is always happy. :)

I’ve wondered the same with their triple milled soaps. Reviews always say “good for what you paid.” That sounds to me like they are just meh and don’t perform as well as Tabac, PdP, or Cade. I like the scent of XXX but it dries out my skin compared to something like Stirling or Captains Choice, or my favorite hard soaps.

The Razorock hard soaps seem like a bargain with how cheap they are, but 4 triple milled soaps could last 2 years, so it’s definitely a commitment when that purchase is made.

Read between the lines. Because of the price, many people assume it can't be very good. I'm sorry, but "decent", "better than canned foam", "you can find better", etc. is damning with faint praise. Many Razorock soaps actually deserve better than that.

Look at the nice, short ingredient list for Santa Maria del Fiore:
Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Water, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Eucalyptus Globolus Oil, Menthol, Camphor, Lanolin
This is basically a standard Italian soft soap recipe with some nice fragrance and skin conditioning ingredients added. Santa Maria Novella produces a similar soap for $75 a tub and people fall all over themselves praising it because it comes from a fancy Boutique Name. Is it five times better? Not really. But Razorock is too cheap, no one will be impressed with that. You don't want people looking down on you, do you?

I’ve wondered the same with their triple milled soaps. Reviews always say “good for what you paid.” That sounds to me like they are just meh and don’t perform as well as Tabac, PdP, or Cade...
Price is the issue, again. I got four of these soaps for $8.88, or $2.22 each. Pretty amazing, wouldn't you agree? Enough soap to last a year for under $10, this is why people always say "good for what you paid", they really are.

Honestly, I don't think they are quite as good as PdP, Cade, Provence Sante, etc. But, they aren't bad, perfectly serviceable if you load heavy and use plenty of water. Scents are pretty similar to other Razorock soaps.
Gold Label <=> XXX
Blue Label <=> Blue Barbershop
Black Label <=> American Barber
Green Label <=> Some sort of "Fresh" cologne

Post shave is about average, use your favorite splash or balm and it's fine.

I've been wet shaving for many years, and tried many soaps. Santa Maria del Fiore is an excellent soap at an excellent price. I would say on a scale of 1 to 100, it is at least a 90...and you get this quality in a 200 ml container for about 15 bucks.

I'm certain you could find a better soap if you search around and spend a bunch of money. For me, I'm satisfied getting an excellent soap at an excellent price. For me, the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I tried the Dead Sea recently and was not all that impressed. I would not compare it to MDC.

Couple years ago, I took advantage of sales and used soap prices and have several tubs of Razorock soaps . but I might as well sell them all because they never get used. The lather just doesn't compare to Stirling and many other midrange soaps much less the top-tier.

The one exception might be Tuscan Oud. I love that sent, and will likely tolerate the lackluster performance just because the smell is so good. With that said, I still haven't used it in two years.

but, don't get me wrong, it's good soap. There are just plenty of them out there that are better , IMO. and some are better at the same price point.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom