What's new

Can any of you use a DE without a nick or two?

*knocks on wood* it's probably been 2 years since I nicked myself with a DE, about 9 months since I nicked my ear with a straight though

when my razor rotation goes from a mild to aggressive razor, occasionally the first shave may give me a weeper. the alum block resolves it.

there's always a plan B.

I can't, but it doesn't really bother me. I just hit them with my pencil, rinse after a little bit, and apply my aftershave.

Some years ago I had pretty high nicking rate. It all changed when I went to sharper blades. Sharper blades means less tugging, pulling and skips and thus better precision.

Since then I have had pretty much a nick free experience.

Try Feather blades and then walk down to less sharp blades until you hit the perfect blade that gives you smooth shaves and still allow precision!

I rarely if ever knick myself with a DE at this point, don't even think about it. It just comes with time and practice.

Straights, OTOH...

Yeah, the only time I nick myself is when I'm using a new kind of blade or razor that I'm not used to. The other day I gave myself a few good ones while testing out a feather for the first time.

I can. It just takes practice and mastering your technique. Whats kind of odd for me is that I get far fewer nicks and cuts with my R41 than I did with any full safety bar razor and way less than the Feather All-Stainless (which is supposed to be one of the mildest razors on the market and one that you supposedly cant cut yourself with). I think its because with the R41, its so aggressive that I can get a close shave with it while using almost no pressure. With milder, full safety bar razors, I think I tended to revert back to bad habits of cartridge razors where Id use too much pressure, trying to get it to shave closer.

I get a nick less often than once a year of daily shaving. None this year so far, except during the SEptember single edge event, but the question was about DE shaving. I almost always use a Feather Popular, and to get a nick you almost have to be trying to do so.

Two very small nicks this morning. I just knew that this would happen right after posting.

Once in a very great while I'll run into a weeper, but I haven't had a deeper nick or cut in years. Having said that, I should scrap SE Sunday now and pull out the Trac II tomorrow.

I never get a nick now but I do if rushed, when I first started i bought a Merkur Futur with a feather blade and on max setting.Now that was a bloodbath.
Just take your time and map your face, and let the razor do the work your just there to guide it.

Yep, sometimes I get a nick under my nose if I am not careful or on a mole on my chin. Otherwise, usually nick free shaves unless there is a bump on my skin. I think slick cream helps with this and very light pressure.

If I try to rush it I sometimes get one or three. If time is short instead of rushing, I'll do a single with the grain and be done for the day. Even that gives me a better shave than those disposable monstrosities. I use Feathers in a Merkur and let the weight of the razor do the work.

Top Bottom