What's new

Can alum blocks be better or worse than another brand?

I had an AOS alum block that I misplaced when moving for the summer so I googled around and found one at The Shave Den for $10. It was half the price of the AOS one and twice the size (100g vs 50g) so I think it's a good deal. But can there be a "better" alum block or is it all the same? I loved my AOS one and I've had to shave for 2 weeks without it and it just isn't the same.

Here's the one I ordered.
http://www.theshaveden.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=66

I had an AOS alum block that I misplaced when moving for the summer so I googled around and found one at The Shave Den for $10. It was half the price of the AOS one and twice the size (100g vs 50g) so I think it's a good deal. But can there be a "better" alum block or is it all the same? I loved my AOS one and I've had to shave for 2 weeks without it and it just isn't the same.

Here's the one I ordered.
http://www.theshaveden.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=66

I just use a Thai Crystal type deodorant stick. It is the same stuff as I understand it, and cheaper, and more available.

I just use a Thai Crystal type deodorant stick. It is the same stuff as I understand it, and cheaper, and more available.

As do I. I also like the packaging. It can be closed up and the base makes a nice handle.

To answer the OP: I think anything generally available for "cosmetic" use is all the same stuff.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Got a big block for a couple of bucks from Vintagescent in Portugal, it is a nice large block, maybe 100 g. I think it was something like 3 or 4 Euros.

very interesting observation... i recieved my alum block from the shave den today and it's the same size as my AOS one but feels much thicker/denser and a little more powdery on the outside. it's 100g vs the AOS at 50g. Is this a good thing? I'll be using it in a day or two and seeing how it is.

also this didnt come with a container, what should i keep it in when not in use?

Cheapest alum blocks I've found are at local Indian grocers. Can buy a block for a couple bucks.

I let my block air dry as well and just keep it on a soap dish. If I need to pack it away, I use a travel soap dish/container.

Cheapest alum blocks I've found are at local Indian grocers. Can buy a block for a couple bucks.

Big +1 there - do you want to pay $10/lb for alum ($2 for a 4oz/100g block) or $50/lb ($10 for the same size block) with a fancy logo on. It's the same potassium aluminium sulphate, might be sightly different quality to the crystallisation - but only you know if it's $40/lb worth better.

I let my block air dry as well and just keep it on a soap dish. If I need to pack it away, I use a travel soap dish/container.

Mine is resting in a plastic beaker - it's just too big to fall right in the bottom, so the drips fall off and then it air dries.

Does this mean that you can use an alun block as a deodorant? :biggrin:

Yes

I've been doing so for the past 2 years with no problems/embarrassments.

I find a shaving (potassium) alum block better than a crystal (ammonium alum) deodorant under stress (of me - a fat bloke on a bike on a hot day riding up hill) - the crystal deo breaks down with a transient whiff of ammonia and the startings of ammonia/diaper rash under the arm. No such rash with potassium alum.

Today I bought a 75g. (2.65 oz.) block from the local Kruidvat store for €2. (store brand)

I was also feeling like seeing whether the competition (Etos store) across the street had any shaving gear worth my money (except for Tabac shaving stick and VGH stuff they didn't have much else) and noticed that the SAME size block of alum (VGH brand) was €3,95!!

Top Bottom