What's new

Can a Vintage Shell Strop be Made Ineffective by Sanding and Polishing?

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I'm restoring a CCCP Certifyd Shell. Turning out really well but it made me wonder if there is a break off point on the finish. I saw a video on the web of a restoration where the restorer was actually buffing a strop. Can you make them too smooth?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My thinking and understanding of what a strop is doing when a blade is stropped on it, is that a strop cannot be too smooth.

In this thread, we will see if I am right.

If you sand too much away you'll get through the skin/shell material into the suede/flesh material and THAT will change the strop significantly

But if you don't do that, you'll change the feel of the strop, but no you can't make it too smooth. I think (ideally) the natural texture of the leather itself is doing the work, more than any tooth left from sanding.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I don't think you can make it too smooth as many like slick, lightning fast strops. Even sanding through the skin will leave a nice brushed/mat finish that will have a heavier or even velvety draw and still work just fine. Yes, sanding will change a strop for sure but likely not for the worse.

Top Bottom