What's new

Can a stone get clogged?

I've tried honing on a used 4k/8k that I acquired some time ago. However, I've found that it just doesn't cut. Even after crazy numbers of laps, there's no real difference.

I was wondering if its possibly a problem with the used stone, or is it just me? If its a problem with the stone, I'll happily get a new stone. If its me, that's a somewhat more difficult fix.

Any and all input welcome.

Synthetics can get clogged.

No need to discard the hone. The clogging doesn't go too deep usually. Just lap it on each side (just a bit), and you should have a useful hone again.

I don't find the Norton 4/8K to have much of a problem with swarfing. Like was said, a light lapping will cure it.

Absolutely, stones can become clogged.

Oil stones require a few drops of honing oil to keep metal slurry from packing into the stone's pores. Using a stone dry can really plug-up a stone. Try scrubbing it with a brush with detergent and warm water.

As the previous members have said, another possibility is that the stone is slightly dished out. Check the stone with a straight edge. Even a slight concavity could cause what you are describing over a blade length.

Water stones can easily be lapped on a flat surface (like glass) covered with wet/dry sandpaper.

Other types of stone can be lapped on other harder stones...so either look for a professional to do it for you or you'll have to buy a new stone to hone your old stone.

Last edited:
Absolutely, stones can become clogged.

Oil stones require a few drops of honing oil to keep metal slurry from packing into the stone's pores. Using a stone dry can really plug-up a stone. Try scrubbing it with a brush with detergent and warm water.

As the previous members have said, another possibility is that the stone is slightly dished out. Check the stone with a straight edge. Even a slight concavity could cause what you are describing over a blade length.

Water stones can easily be lapped on a flat surface (like glass) covered with wet/dry sandpaper.

Other types of stone can be lapped on other harder stones...so either look for a professional to do it for you or you'll have to buy a new stone to hone your old stone.

I believe you misinterpreted. Yohann and Rick were referring to the stone glazing. A light lapping will solve that. A light lapping would be maybe 15 seconds tops. If the stone were dished, the lapping would be a bigger task. Also, even with a very hard stone, some packs of sandpaper and a flat surface are all you need.

I have tried to flatten it several times and found that the pencil marks on the corners are still lightly there. Maybe I'll just kick down for a flattening stone and give that a shot - working it until it is fully flat all the way around.

In the past, even after flattening it on a DMT, it still didn't seem to cut. I think I'll get a fresh flattening stone, scrub it down, flatten it until its even all around, and see how it goes afterwards.

Last edited:
I clean my Norton every time I use it by lapping it with a 325 grit DMT plate, I do about 8-10 figure eights on the surface and then hone with the slurry on it and dilute as I go.

The Norton should be cleaned every time you use it or it will get dirty and clog up.

You are working up through a progression with the 4/8K stone right?

Yep.

I clean my Norton every time I use it by lapping it with a 325 grit DMT plate, I do about 8-10 figure eights on the surface and then hone with the slurry on it and dilute as I go.

The Norton should be cleaned every time you use it or it will get dirty and clog up.

What I had been doing was soak, flattening passes, rinse, rinse between lap sets, then rinse when done.

Now that I think about it, the corners (where the pencil marks remained) have flattened very slowly.

This may sound like a strange question. I have a few vintage barber hones, some have 1 grit/side others are 2 sided/2 grits. On the 1 grit hones bearing a logo-Swaty, which side is the honing surface, the logo side or the plain side?

This may sound like a strange question. I have a few vintage barber hones, some have 1 grit/side others are 2 sided/2 grits. On the 1 grit hones bearing a logo-Swaty, which side is the honing surface, the logo side or the plain side?

On the 1 grit stones it doesn't matter which side you use. Most people use the side without the logo as it gives you a bigger working area.

I went ahead and got the Norton flattening stone. I then got my 4k/8k flat.

I'll give it a spin tomorrow. Looking at the difference, I'm wondering if this was a problem based on incorrect flattening. We'll see tomorrow.

Top Bottom