What's new

Can a Soap Lather be TOO Slick?

I've been enjoying several Stirling soap samples. No doubt it's top tier stuff. Of everything I've tried, it's hands down the slickest! However, I'm wondering, can a soap be to too slick? Sometimes in seems like the blade moves so very easily that it's just sliding right over the whiskers. While the super slick Stirling sure makes for a comfortable shave, I'm not getting my desired close shave results.
Thoughts?

Can a steak be too big..... Nope

moving on from the bad joke, to me it sounds like blade angle and the blades not touching the skin.

No. Especially with a straight razor!!

+1 but even a DE or SE should glide as smoothly as possible. I think it would be impossible to shave to quickly to actually miss hairs due to speed, it's not like you are driving a small boat in chopping waters after all. If you are not getting close enough it could be that your blade is too dull, your razor is too mild, your technique needs work, or a combination.

Too slick, no. Too thick, I think yes. With a razor that has, e.g., a rounded cap and a small blade gap, I think a thicker coat of lather can cause, basically, hydroplaning over whiskers. My Ikon slant is much more finicky of blade angle than my Merkur slant, and I can feel it skimming if I get the handle too close to perpendicular.

Thanks for the helpful perspectives.

To clarify...
I've not experiencing this with other soaps/creams. I do tend to put my lather on fairly thick. I have been using a mild razor (Flair Tip Super Speed). And, my blades are Personna Labs with 3 or less shaves.

Too slick, no. Too thick, I think yes. With a razor that has, e.g., a rounded cap and a small blade gap, I think a thicker coat of lather can cause, basically, hydroplaning over whiskers. My Ikon slant is much more finicky of blade angle than my Merkur slant, and I can feel it skimming if I get the handle too close to perpendicular. - NCJack

NCJack's thought makes sense to me. I think I'll apply less lather and try a more aggressive razor (my 34G).

I also think the increased slickness makes it easier for me to go too fast, which in turn may cause my technique to degrade.

I'll keep experimenting with this one.

No. Try stretching you skin, concentrate on proper blade angle, and if you're no prone to razor burn, apply a little pressure.

Top Bottom