What's new

Can a leather strop be used with a little chip?

I am new to stropping and accidentally lost focus, which led to the blade cutting into the leather.

The chip is small, and the leather did not come off. Do you think this will be a problem when using this in the future?

You can repair nicks in a couple of ways.

You can sand down the strop with a high grit wet n dry paper 1000 to 3000 grit paper. 1k grit paper will increase the draw, 3000 will reduce the draw so be mindful of what you use.

You can glue larger nicks down with rubber cement, and press it flat with a spoon whilst it's drying. After it is fully dry you can smooth everything down with high grit wet n dry as above.

After either of these treatments I would treat with a good quality strop balm - e.g. Dovo. This needs to be done very sparingly - rub it between the palms of your hands and then onto the strop.

If you are still shaky with your stropping, try with the strop lying on a flat surface until you build up the muscle memory.

You can repair nicks in a couple of ways.

You can sand down the strop with a high grit wet n dry paper 1000 to 3000 grit paper. 1k grit paper will increase the draw, 3000 will reduce the draw so be mindful of what you use.

You can glue larger nicks down with rubber cement, and press it flat with a spoon whilst it's drying. After it is fully dry you can smooth everything down with high grit wet n dry as above.

After either of these treatments I would treat with a good quality strop balm - e.g. Dovo. This needs to be done very sparingly - rub it between the palms of your hands and then onto the strop.

If you are still shaky with your stropping, try with the strop lying on a flat surface until you build up the muscle memory.
Thanks for your informative reply!

Is it bad for the razor to strop on a knicked strop?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
This is why I recommend a single part strop with a D ring on each end. Most nicks are at the right hand edge. If you get a big nick there, on a 3" strop, just hang it from the other end.

If you do not have such a strop but what you have can be disassembled, you could take it apart and swap ends on the leather, and same result. The nick would be on the left hand edge.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Check the toe of your razor. You may want to mute the tip slightly. just drag the toe at various and changing angles on the side of a medium grit hone, something in the 4k to 6k range. And watch the toe carefully anyway. Don't ride the shoulder of the razor up on the strop. When the shoulder of the razor is on a tightly stretched strop, the toe is being forced down with a concentration of pressure and at a slight angle. This can scratch or gouge a strop. The main cause of nicks at the edge of the strop is obvious. Try loosening your grip a bit. Don't force the blade to align with the strop. ALLOW it to align with the strop. Don't exaggerate your x stroke. If the strop is wide enough to carry the entire edge, then you only need about a half inch or so of sideways pull. If it is more narrow, only enough to ensure that the entire edge gets attention.

If your damage was only to the edge of the strop, the quick fix would be to disassemble the strop and turn the leather end for end. Or in the case of a leather-only strop, hang it the other end up which is why I recommend a simple D ring on each end of the strop and no fabric component, or else a separate fabric strop not attached to the leather strop. Every strop I have ever made is so constructed. And it is simple, and cheap. Flashy hardware with fancy swivels and hooks and clasps don't make the strop perform any better, only add to the cost of making it.

I do not like to put any sort of glue on a strop. A divot should instead be trimmed and sanded so that nothing stands proud of the surface where it will catch and impede the razor's movement on the strop. YMMV.

Sometimes the leather just gets too much damage to continue in use. Some makers will sell you replacement leather. You can also simply buy a 3" wide strip of veg tanned leather and DIY it, using the original leather as a pattern. If the strop is sewn together the replacement is a bit more time consuming but still quite possible. A "Speedy Stitcher" or some other sewing awl kit might be the only tool you need, if the leather is under 8oz or so. That is roughly 1/8" thickness. Utilize the original holes in the bolster pieces and you only have to pierce the main leather part with the awl. The Speedy Stitch comes with instructions and you can also find them online. Knockoffs are used in similar fashion. You can also use what is called a jerk needle for single thread sewing. The Speedy Stitcher type awl of course uses two threads. 8lb or 10lb test braided fishing line makes excellent thread or you can get various very strong and durable leatherworking thread from craft shops or online.

Worse comes to worse, you can always just DIY an entire strop. It's not rocket science. So simple, even I can do it.

SoEasyaCavemanCouldDoIt2.jpeg

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I do not like to put any sort of glue on a strop. A divot should instead be trimmed and sanded so that nothing stands proud of the surface where it will catch and impede the razor's movement on the strop. YMMV.

This exactly. I would rather have a slight dip or divot than a hard spot or bump left from trying to glue a flap down

Top Bottom