What's new

can a gillette adjustable fall out of adjustment?

so, i just bought a long-handled gillette super adjustable and it's great, except for one thing...

after reading through postings here, i started on a conservative setting of 3, then 5, then 6. only now at 6 am i starting to get the kind of closeness i normally get with my merk HD.

is it possible for these adjustables to fall out of adjustment? is there a way to properly calibrate them again? is a setting of 6 normal for merk users and i just don't know it?

any insights gents?

David, I can't be sure but experiance but I have seen often that the Merkur HD is around 5-6 on an adjustable. Again this is hear say on my end.

Hi everyone,

I have a J1 Slim that seems to be more aggressive than I've read described here at B&B. At 3, it ripped me up. I attributed it to technique and I am still quite confident that was a large part of the problem. With care at 2, it gives me a *really* smooth shave, BBS over the vast majority of my face. But, even at 1, its *way* more aggressive than my X2 SS or my Tech.

Am I correct that what I've described seems more aggressive than what is typically expected out of a Slim? I obviously have a perfectly fine razor since I've found a way to get a BBS out of it, but I bought a Slim in order to be able to adjust it and I don't feel like I can really budge much from where I am. I wanted a Slim so that I could dial it back to try new blades, or on days when I'll be sweating and dial it up when I just want to go for BBS.

I tried the instructions in the SMF thread linked in this post, and think I might've done more harm than good. I now have a pretty meaningful gap between the head and the adjustment ring - a gap that wasn't there before I started fiddling with it. Help?

proxy.php

I'm gonna go shave with it at 1 now and see what I get. Gosh, it would be absolutely awful to have to start razor shopping again. ;-)

TIA for any help!

Jack

I do not know if this thread is the proper place to ask this question, but it does seem to be related so here it goes.
I s there any cheat sheet or data base base that I can refer to that will tell me what level of aggressiveness the various razors are in relation to each other? Does a 3 on a Gillette Slim Adjustable mean the same as a 3 0n a Fat Boy? Even to go so far as comparing the different brands of razors to each other. I understand there is the old tried and true method, but you see I have no problem with trial part; it is the error part that concerns me!
Just asking.

JinNC> I'm gonna go shave with it at 1 now and see what I get.

Well, I tried it at 1 and it was pretty harsh. Anybody have any advice on whether my Slim can be salvaged as is or recalibrated? Please check my info and pic two posts above.

Thanks gents!
Jack

David, I would say about 5 is the same as a Merkur head, so I agree with Ray on this one.

Jack
I would guess that you went around a full turn when you tried to adjust it. If you depress the detent and go past 1 and all the way around again it should bring you back to where you started.

It sounds like its out of whack. I do know that you can recalibrate them. I'm not sure how but I will do some looking and get back to you. Something about pushing that red pin between the adjustment ring and the head down and turning the ring.

David, it sounds like your Slim may be over-clocked. The previous owner may have done it to produce exactly what doesn't work for you. You can dial it down to "1" and then using a sharp object slightly press in on the slot above the adjustment ring and turn the adjuster down past "1" to the "9" setting. Release the pin and make sure it still adjusts from 1 - 9 as before. If so it should be back to where it belongs.

I had a Fatboy like that. Thinking it was overclocked I set it back. Then it was underclocked. The first time I used it set to 5 I sliced a big chunk off my neck. I know from the Captains posts the the gap has to be set after disassembly. Anyway I donated it to another member to rework If "turning the clock back" doesn't work send it to Captain Murphy. He is a master and wont charge an arm/leg to repair it.

I do not know if this thread is the proper place to ask this question, but it does seem to be related so here it goes.
I s there any cheat sheet or data base base that I can refer to that will tell me what level of aggressiveness the various razors are in relation to each other? Does a 3 on a Gillette Slim Adjustable mean the same as a 3 0n a Fat Boy? Even to go so far as comparing the different brands of razors to each other. I understand there is the old tried and true method, but you see I have no problem with trial part; it is the error part that concerns me!
Just asking.

Click here for an aggressiveness comparison in the wiki - scroll down a bit to see a chart. Also, take a look at this chart of blade gaps that includes Gillette Adjustable razor settings.

Link is dead for fixing out of adjustment slim.
Just got one in the mail and at least 3-4 marks below what dial is saying according to my other slim

Click here for an aggressiveness comparison in the wiki - scroll down a bit to see a chart. Also, take a look at this chart of blade gaps that includes Gillette Adjustable razor settings.
Yup, replying to a 5+ year old post.

I have never seen the blade gap chart as I am new around here. What an excellent comparison matrix. Even if it is off a bit, it makes comparing razors super easy. Great stuff. 👍

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Link is dead for fixing out of adjustment slim.
Just got one in the mail and at least 3-4 marks below what dial is saying according to my other slim
12 year old post on another forum ... haha.

Not properly "clocked"? Check the blade gaps with a feeler gauge after setting the new calibration.
See below.
Could be overclocked. Push in the spring with the end of a paper clip while on 1 and turn it backwards to 9. If you can now adjust it down to 1 and the adjuster plate drops down below the bottom plate, it wasn't overclocked. If it still clears the bottom plate to make contact with a blade, it was overclocked and your adjustable is now fixed.

Well it turnes out I think the slim I've been using for years is overclocked.
Just by eyeballing checked the new slim against another slim and a black beauty
This one seems normal actually.
Is it possible to do the same thing above but not a whole 9 settings)
Like set to 1 and hold on spring and turn to 5? Or vice versa?

The slim I've been using was replated, so maybe when reassembling, or at customer's request, it was overclocked.
Even without a blade when locked down it visually has a bigger gap on my new one. But new one visually looks like the rest of my adjustables.
I love how it shaves.
Guess I'll be overclocking the new one!!! Haha.
Thank you again guys.

Top Bottom