What's new

Can a cream be too slick?

Hi all. I've recently been experimenting with different types of shave creams. (SCAD is starting to set in :tongue: ) I find myself moving further and further from my original tried and true, Shaving Cream for men by Body Shop.

The creams that I have tried as of late (KMF, C&E), have nowhere near the lubrication/slickness of Body Shop, but almost always yield closer, smoother results.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, or am I loosing my mind?

I might not be an expert here but I would say you're
proxy.php

It's not a big deal, just use what works for you, and don't worry about what everybody else is raving about so enthusiastically.

Different shavers prefer different qualities in their lather. Some prefer slipperiness over cushion, and some prefer cushion over slipperiness. And some don't really care as long as it smells good. Most straight razor shavers seem to prefer slipperiness, and wind up gravitating to soaps, while most DE shavers seem to prefer cushion (especially with the ultra-sharp blades like feather) and seem to gravitate towards the creams. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Well said. However, I think the question refers to his ability to get a close shave with a less slick product. I think that goes against conventional wisdom. i.e. soaps=slipperiness=closer shave & creams=cushion=not quite as close

I wasn't questioning his choices.

As Grandpa used to say- "Get the hell out of my"..No - no the other thing- Oh yeah

"To each his own!"

:biggrin:

I have seen people mention that if it is too slick then the razor slides over but doesn't cut the hairs as well...this is not my opinion nor my experience. If it is slick it should provide less irritation for multiple passes which is the idea with beard reduction. Not sure your regimen but if the less slick creams provide a better shave then stick with them...its whatever works best for YOU.

Personally I think that you are insane, I much prefer a slick, slippery lather. But as everyone else pointed out what ever works for you. We are all rushing around, giving in to various AD's in the hope of finding that magic combination that affords us the closest shave, if you have already found what works well for you, then you have removed one extra variable and are closer to finding that magic combination, bravo.

Alex-
I have a different take on your hypothesis on finding the perfect combination. I would contend that many of us probably HAVE found that perfect combination, but believe there is still something better out there. If one concedes that he has in fact found the best combination, then there is no more reason to experiment and try new products, let alone continue to use the inventory of products that he has already acquired (minus those that are included in said "perfect combination"). That conclusion, and all that it implies, goes against everything that is good and decent :wink2:

Alright... the soap box is getting wobbly, I better get down :biggrin:

Drew

Drew said:
Alex-
I have a different take on your hypothesis on finding the perfect combination. I would contend that many of us probably HAVE found that perfect combination, but believe there is still something better out there. If one concedes that he has in fact found the best combination, then there is no more reason to experiment and try new products, let alone continue to use the inventory of products that he has already acquired (minus those that are included in said "perfect combination"). That conclusion, and all that it implies, goes against everything that is good and decent :wink2:

Alright... the soap box is getting wobbly, I better get down :biggrin:

Drew

LA LA LA! I can't hear you! <sticking fingers in ears>

letterk said:
LA LA LA! I can't hear you! <sticking fingers in ears>
:lol: I will NEVER admit to finding THE perfect combination... I've found some good ones... daresay great ones, but there is ALWAYS something better out there... I just know there is and I have to find it! :lol:

ada8356 said:
but there is ALWAYS something better out there... I just know there is and I have to find it! :lol:

I tend to agree. Perfection is an unatainable goal, making it that much more desirable. :001_smile

_C_ said:
Hi all. I've recently been experimenting with different types of shave creams. (SCAD is starting to set in :tongue: ) I find myself moving further and further from my original tried and true, Shaving Cream for men by Body Shop.

The creams that I have tried as of late (KMF, C&E), have nowhere near the lubrication/slickness of Body Shop, but almost always yield closer, smoother results.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, or am I loosing my mind?

I don't think a cream or soap can be too slick. But I know that they CAN be too dry...

letterk said:
Well said. However, I think the question refers to his ability to get a close shave with a less slick product. I think that goes against conventional wisdom. i.e. soaps=slipperiness=closer shave & creams=cushion=not quite as close

Exactly. There in lies the confusion, as I had always expected the "slicker the better" mantra to be true. However I am finding some happy medium in between.

I also agree with the "whatever floats your boat" theme too. I'm simply curious if anyone else out there might be having a similar experience. I'd hate for my current bout of SCAD to be influencing my though process. :o16:

It is just a theory but do you find shaving with the slick cream to be a faster shave? Perhaps you are moving the razor faster on a slick surface and compromising technique. Try the cream again but intentionally move slower and see if this doesn't help with the closeness.
J
What do I know I am a woman and I wax!! :blush:

Has anyone tried waxing their face in an attempt to close in on the BBS result we all crave? Just curious...:lol:

Top Bottom