What's new

Camping Shave

Anybody else make a little shave setup when they go camping? I love shaving as it is, but when you do it every day it can become more mundane, especially since it's just in some bathroom somewhere. But I have to say, being completely secluded with nothing to see and hear besides the nature surrounding you really makes a difference. I love my camping shaves, I think it's some of the most relaxing time I've experienced

Attachments

• 20220402_131219.jpg
    20220402_131219.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 98

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Anybody else make a little shave setup when they go camping? I love shaving as it is, but when you do it every day it can become more mundane, especially since it's just in some bathroom somewhere. But I have to say, being completely secluded with nothing to see and hear besides the nature surrounding you really makes a difference. I love my camping shaves, I think it's some of the most relaxing time I've experienced

When you said camping shave, all I could picture was you around a campfire, with no mirror, trying to shave yourself, without giving yourself a good knick. Of course, that picture, is not what I pictured. Excellent setup, very logical. You got a mirror so you can see what your actually doing, and a nice little shelf to contain all you need.

Congrats!

Nice thread idea!

Here is my camping setup:
IMG_20220407_175807151.jpg

I use a 1964 English Tech as my camp razor, I managed to get a 4"x5" steel mirror, and I use a small aluminum sliding top box as my blade bank. It holds 10 nicely.

Also a very well behaved no name Bay brush, which is an Ever Ready clone by it's look. Arko! is an essential. I always face lather with the stick.

I also use the excellent M1910 canteen cup to clean my Tech between strokes and to wet brush. I make sure to clean it good after though. Arko! flavoured coffee/tea is probably to be avoided. The canteen is seriously cool looking and multi-use.

A nice setup which I've been using since last summer/ autumn. I looked at some old WW2 kit pics to get my inspiration as to what they carried.

I agree, it's great to shave in the woods!

Last edited:
Very nice.

Nice set up!

We camp about 2 long weekends every year but I usually skip shaving on those days, we camp on tents and very rustic with just the bare necessities. Cook straight on the bonfire but I always thought if I could shave while camping like a good’ol cowboy.

This year will be different. Wife and I decided we are getting “old” for camping tents so we purchased a little pop up camping trailer!

So I’ll come back here and I will share what shaving set up I can come up with and how it goes on our next camping trip!

Nice setup!

It's enjoyable to shave outdoors. But I have to admit that I have only done so using a disposable razor.

Last time I shaved outdoors, at my grandmothers summer cottage (no running water, so close enough to camping) I used a Bic disposable, Proraso green in a tube and a RazoRock Keyhole synthetic. Not a bad shave!

Next time will probably take my Slim Twist or a Tech with an aluminum handle.
I'll have to buy some small bottles for aftershaves too. Or I'll use one that had vodka in it.

I'm not much of a camper, but once or twice a year we go up to the in-law's cottage (it's in Haliburton for those of you from Southern Ontario). It rustic-ish with running water (from the lake) but no indoor toilet, only an outhouse.

While there I always bathe in the lake because I refuse to use the shower on some sort of principle, but I've always shaved indoors at the bathroom sink. @Robbie7 has inspired me to extend my principle to shaving. So, this year I'm going to start only shaving outdoors at the cottage, probably off the end of the dock where it's shallow enough to stand on the rocks.

I'm getting excited about this now! I'll post some pictures after my first outdoor cottage shave.

I'm not much of a camper, but once or twice a year we go up to the in-law's cottage (it's in Haliburton for those of you from Southern Ontario). It rustic-ish with running water (from the lake) but no indoor toilet, only an outhouse.

While there I always bathe in the lake because I refuse to use the shower on some sort of principle, but I've always shaved indoors at the bathroom sink. @Robbie7 has inspired me to extend my principle to shaving. So, this year I'm going to start only shaving outdoors at the cottage, probably off the end of the dock where it's shallow enough to stand on the rocks.

I'm getting excited about this now! I'll post some pictures after my first outdoor cottage shave.
Happy to have inspired you, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it! Cannot wait to see the pictures, and happy shaving!

Top Bottom