What's new

Camping cot suggestions

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m in the market for a cot to take camping. Looking for suggestions and advice from folks that have one or have used one. I don’t have one and never slept on one. My price would be up to $100 I’m thinking.

So what ya got?

Thanks!!

At 100, I think most cots are good, just go for maximum width. For 200, I like my Cabela’s lounge cots. They’re wide and the ends can be angled up and down, converting them to a lounge chair.

OTOH, not knowing your camping style, my wife and I are more inclined to go with a queen sized air mattress. They’re more comfortable and easier to pack and tote. That doesn’t fly too well without electricity though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I considered an air mattress. But I would be packing 3 things to sleep. Mattress, pump, batteries (if I don’t use the car, or have electricity). I think I would like to be off the ground too. I also considered a pad. But still would be on the ground.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I haven't shopped for a cot for a long time, but you should have no problem finding a good quality, basic cot in your price range. It won't be anything fancy, and it won't be anything that you would want to carry beyond car camping situations, but it'll get the job done.

I considered an air mattress. But I would be packing 3 things to sleep. Mattress, pump, batteries (if I don’t use the car, or have electricity). I think I would like to be off the ground too. I also considered a pad. But still would be on the ground.

When I was re-enacting and had no ground cover in the A frame, I used a standard military cot and an air mattress. I inflated it with lung power, because I didn’t want a lot of air, just enough to relieve stress points. The self inflating mattresses are great for that though.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

You might be packing three things, but I would expect those three things will weigh less and take up less room than a cot (and you do have the option of blowing up the mattress with your own lungs). It is nice to have something up off the ground, though, for all sorts of reasons. Cots don't leak, either.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’d be car camping so space isn’t that big of a concern. But that is a valid point.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I’d be car camping so space isn’t that big of a concern. But that is a valid point.

If you didn't want to worry about batteries or some other source of electricity, there are manual pumps out there. They are pretty much a lightweight bicycle pump, and I'll warn you that they are a pain in the butt to use. I had one, and the feet were so small that I barely could use it. I chucked it in favor of just blowing up my mattress with my own lungs. It was THAT bad.

I've found the extra thick self inflating pads to be by far the most comfortable option for car camping. I have a Thermarest Mondoking I use for this purpose, and I sleep on it as well as on my quite expensive mattress at home. It's much warmer than an air mattress, and with plenty of give without being too soft. They're quite expensive here in the UK, but other manufacturers make similar but cheaper versions.

When my wife and I quit sleeping on the ground, we got a couple of army cots for $20 or $30 dollars each. They were a PIA to put together each night, but they were sturdy as a rock. For warmth, you'll want a Thermarest mattress on top of the nylon cloth.

Army style cots and foam pad. I have a pair of surplus cots ( Korean era ) that are still in great condition. A bit heavy but if car camping weight shouldn't be an issue. We just use them when the grandkids visit.

Army style cots and foam pad. I have a pair of surplus cots ( Korean era ) that are still in great condition. A bit heavy but if car camping weight shouldn't be an issue. We just use them when the grandkids visit.

+1 That’s the cot style I used when re-enacting. Very heavy, but solid as a rock.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yes, if you will be some place cold or windy, you'll want a pad or mattress (or a bunch of blankets or something) underneath you if you are on a cot. If you are on the ground, it's not as much of an issue (although you'll already have something there).

I’m in the market for a cot to take camping. Looking for suggestions and advice from folks that have one or have used one. I don’t have one and never slept on one. My price would be up to $100 I’m thinking.

So what ya got?

Thanks!!
I bought a Coleman comfortsmart deluxe this year. I finally gave up my inflatable. It was comfy, but all my friends had purchased cots and I became jealous. It’s great to be able to store stuff under the cot when in the tent and the Coleman has spring suspension as well as a pad that insulates. This year was their turn to be jealous. It’s more comfortable and warm than ones that cost twice as much. It outperformed theirs in almost every aspect except for packability. It’s a bit large, but it’s flat and stacks easily. A week on it and I was impressed. I think I paid 70.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

So what ya got?

Milsurp.

Buy an axe handle with no head on it while you're at it. They make setting them up a lot easier lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That's also good for tent stakes.

A 32oz ball peen goes for them.

One thing I should have mentioned about tent camping with cots. Find some heavy cardboard or something similar and cut it into 4" squares to put under the legs. The legs can damage a tent floor.

The 12x14 foot wall tent we used Moose hunting, with a wood stove inside. That tent has no floor, but trenches around the sides for runoff and the ground stays dry inside.

Moose Hunt Oct 21st 2003.JPG

Cooking and food storage area in front of the tent. Inside, two cots, 2 coolers for tables, gear for 2 of us, wood stove and two face cords of split wood. Luxury lol. It was -15F when I took that picture. The day before, a nice 70F.

Moose Hunt Oct 20th 2003.JPG

For most of my bush trips before that I was sleeping on the ground and using neoprene chest waders as a mat. The ground really pulls the heat out of you. You cant beat a good cot.

If your tent or set up has enough head space go with an army style fold up model. Cabela's has them. If
You are cramped for space try REI for one of the backpacking cots.

Top Bottom