What's new

Campbell's Liquid Shaving Cream

After discussing my shaving practices with my barber, who has been shaving for over 50 years, he gave me a couple of technique and product suggestions. One of the things he said that really got my attention was that he uses the Campbell's shave cream that he uses for his hot lather machine at home. He said to put a couple of drops of the concentrate in the bottom of a bowl and whip it up with a brush and some hot water. No need to buy the $300 machine it's supposed to work with. I've always liked the super clean smell of Campbell's. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has ever tried shaving with barbershop concentrate, prepared as he suggested?

Never done it, but this sounds interesting.... First soaps, creams, croaps, shave sticks....and now liquids! Who will be the first to admit they have LAD? haha

When I was in the AoS recently talking with the barber, I asked about their modern-day lather machine.
For that, he uses regular AoS unscented cream, mixed one part cream with three parts water, for the machine.
But, I would be eager to hear if you get the large tube of Campbells concentrate and how it works out!
FWIW.

I doubt I have the early onset, of LAD. As far as I can tell, there are only a 3 or maybe 4 companies in the world that make concentrate designed for a latherizer. Getting bottles of all of them would cost less than $30.

Of course a review of the aforementioned Campbell's popped up in the similar threads immediately after I posted this. I don't know why I didn't see it in my search results. For $4 I'll go get a bottle from my barber and give it a shot.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/14320-Campbell-s-Liquid-Shave-Cream?ltr=C

Yes, I've used Campbell's and Gabel's shave cream whipped up with a brush. It works okay, but the lather wasn't as slick as say a nice cream like TOBS or Trumpers. It works in a pinch, and your barber is correct... only use a drop or two. Campbell's is highly concentrated. The contents on the bottle says to mix a capful with 8oz of water, or to mix the entire 8oz bottle with two gallons of water (if using in the Lather King dispensers). I used to use Campbell's in our lather machines at work, but have since come up with my own mixing recipe using Arko shave cream, similar to how AOS uses their creams in their lather machines.

I spoke to my barber again yesterday (I needed a haircut). I probably like the lather from his lather machine so much because he's using the entire bottle of Campbell's in 1 gallon of water. I told him I wanted to give it a try with my shaving brush and he sold me a bottle of the stuff for $4, along with another round of instructions on how to use it.

I don't think there's anything naturally occurring on this list of ingredients, but I've never had any irritation when I've gotten a shave from him. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning.

This stuff is so packed with chemicals I feel its right on par with the canned goo. However the scent is pleasing, and it does lather 'ok' but I don't really feel like its worth it, even for the value compared to other stuff out there. Cool find though.

Finally tried Campbell's shave cream; really concentrated!!
Only needed half teaspoon to whip up mountain of stable, slick lather.
Used two teaspoons of water plus moistened badger brush.
Cream really takes some whipping to fully develop.
Lots of residual slickness and subtle, soap scent.

As far as 'chemicals', really nothing out of ordinary for any other shave cream.
Both lye and potash, standard soap ingredients. Does contain propylene gylcol, which is a common cosmetic and food ingredient, approved both in USA and EU.

If anyone would like a complimentary sample, just PM!

campbells rubberset gillette blue tip aqua velva june 4 2019.jpg

Attachments

• Image-116.jpg
    Image-116.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 28
I got a haircut earlier today and while the barber was shaving my neck I complimented his soap out of the lather machine and asked what it was. He reached in the cabinet and pulled out a bottle of Campbells. I asked if he had ever tried mixing a little in a bowl for a shave. He said he hadn't but he handed me a new bottle and said I could take it home and try it if I wanted. Of course I took it lol. After my shower tonight I used sarimento1's directions (1/2 teaspoon soap and 2 teaspoons of water) whipped it up with my brush and had a great shave! Very slick. Post shave feel isn't anything special but a little Lucky Tiger fixed that. It won't replace my other soaps but it works pretty darn good.

Top Bottom