What's new

Camp shaving with an SE

Hi. Some advice please. For six months of the year I live in tents or back-country huts while I work. When I'm there I shave with a 1950's tech with a personna red blade, this combination gives me a irritation-free and brain dead shave (most of our work is at night). I've read on this forum that SEs give a smoother shave. If this is the case can someone recommend an SE razor of GEM or AC format that is relatively robust and gives irritation free, but not necessarily close shaves. Nicks, weepers and irritation are no fun particularly when the sweat runs while struggling up a steep hill. And yes I've done the bearded route - not for me. Thanks

M

member 119848

There are quite a lot of shopping opportunities out there :001_smile
How much are you ready to spend?
I have been thinking of a L-type injector replica from PAA for myself... it´s mild and affordable.
If you´re interested in the Artist Club format there´s a model named "Hawk" from Razorock, it´s also known to be mild.
And if you like stainless steel, have a look at the SE1 from ATT.
I wish you a successfull research :001_smile

You might consider a GEM or Ever Ready model 1912. They're smooth and easy to learn, and are rugged and inexpensive. They're also a little milder than the Micromatics, although the Micromatics are also very good razors.

You could also consider a Schick injector razor which is similar to an AC razor, but not as wide. They are lovely razors, readily available on eBay for a very reasonable price, and a couple of injector magazines would see you through the entire winter.

You could also consider a Schick injector razor which is similar to an AC razor, but not as wide. They are lovely razors, readily available on eBay for a very reasonable price, and a couple of injector magazines would see you through the entire winter.[/QUOTE]

I had discounted injectors, because unfortunately the blades/cartridges are difficult to source from NZ.

Is the 1912 robust?, I've always thought they've looked like a wobbly broom.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
A Schick injector blade lasts me a month of daily shaves (and I'm part werewolf). Getting 2 magazines (14 blades) from the interwebinetz will see you set for a year. i also use Personna blades, with 2 weeks of daily shaves. An injector isn't like a DE where you are changing blades twice a week.

If your DE Tech already satisfies you, why look elsewhere? If you want absolute brainless perfect shaves without weepers every time, get a OneBlade Core. I tested the latest version of it and it is as close as you can get to a Genesis without paying the price for a Genesis.

If your DE Tech already satisfies you, why look elsewhere? If you want absolute brainless perfect shaves without weepers every time, get a OneBlade Core. I tested the latest version of it and it is as close as you can get to a Genesis without paying the price for a Genesis.

I've only ever shaved with a DE and while I'm happy, I often read here that SEs offer a different level of comfort. Thanks, I had seen the OneBlade and had one sitting in the shopping basket for a while.

I'm becoming increasingly devoted to SE razors, including AC, Gem and injector styles. I find that, with a bit of time and proper technique, they usually give me better shaves than DE razors and cause less irritation.
However, I've not found any of them to be quicker and easier to use than a Tech or similarly mild DE, like the Rockwell 6S on a low setting. With the Tech I can get a passable shave with virtually no risk of cuts or weepers, even if I'm half asleep, hung over or on the verge of physical exhaustion.

An injector. I have run the gambit, and its the easiest of the bunch. If you want a new one PAA sells an L replica for 18 bucks, which I have and love. It is more efficient than the original in my opinion. If you want vintage, hit the bay. If you want rugged get a type O clone from E barbershop. That thing is rugged. I love my other formats, all of them, but nothing is as easy as an injector. I use them for my beach razor(s) at the moment, because I can go in the salt water afterwards and not feel the sting.

An injector. I have run the gambit, and its the easiest of the bunch. If you want a new one PAA sells an L replica for 18 bucks, which I have and love. It is more efficient than the original in my opinion. If you want vintage, hit the bay. If you want rugged get a type O clone from E barbershop. That thing is rugged. I love my other formats, all of them, but nothing is as easy as an injector. I use them for my beach razor(s) at the moment, because I can go in the salt water afterwards and not feel the sting.
Great, thanks

Thanks to those that replied. I've decided to grab a GEM 1912, mostly due to the difficulty in obtaining either the blades or other razors recommended in NZ. If need be I can look at getting a OneBlade in the future and load with de-spined GEM blades. Thanks again for your knowledgeable advice.

An injector. I have run the gambit, and its the easiest of the bunch. If you want a new one PAA sells an L replica for 18 bucks, which I have and love.

I just got one of those PAA injectors and tried it for the first time today, and I think I may be in love as well. So much more maneuverable under my nose than any of my DE razors, and the more rigid blade seems gentler on my skin than even a Tech. Easier to rinse out than a Tech as well. I still need more practice going around the curves of my chin, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it just like I got the hang of it with a DE.

You might consider a GEM or Ever Ready model 1912. They're smooth and easy to learn, and are rugged and inexpensive. They're also a little milder than the Micromatics, although the Micromatics are also very good razors.

You could also consider a Schick injector razor which is similar to an AC razor, but not as wide. They are lovely razors, readily available on eBay for a very reasonable price, and a couple of injector magazines would see you through the entire winter.
+++1

Top Bottom