What's new

Camp ovens

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Looks good. I'm waiting for it to rain some before I do anything. I'm surprised there hasn't been some grass fires lately.
It's even bad here in mid Michigan. We had a cloud burst 2 days ago, but that's been it for a few weeks. I'm amazed that I haven't heard any firetrucks....

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Up in the mountains this weekend. Needed a pot of frijoles borracho.

A158DD3C-85EF-4CC4-8C98-17799A875082.jpeg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Beautiful setting my friend.
Thanks. Smoky Mountains right behind me. Someone snagged my favorite view campsite this weekend. Also did some pie iron cooks. Made one pie iron quesadilla with flour tortilla, smoked brisket, fresh mozzarella and avocado. Made another with crescent dough, smoked polish sausage, spicy mustard and homemade sour kraut. One more with a pie crust, garden fresh Cherokee purple tomatoes, Palmetto cheese and bacon. Good eats while camping!
7F598E31-1FF7-4AAB-85C6-369CAD199DF1.jpeg
ADC63E0D-9CED-4BFA-BD63-FDDA6F6BEFE9.jpeg
83F05B06-C7F9-4AE4-82DB-A6C31C4CC5B3.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Also did some pie iron cooks.

I love those pie irons. I used to carry a single iron in my saddlebags on the bike and could whip up a quick hot meal wherever I stopped for the night. I replied to an email from the company asking users for recipes, and they not only sent along a cookbook to thank me, they also sent a double iron. Shortly after that I picked up one of their panini irons.

O.H.

I have steam baked muffins backpacking before. Not even close to the tasty food that comes out of a dutch oven.

Boy Scouts in the 60's and 70's, had a Scout Master that always bought a Dutch Oven along. He made pot roast and other good things. Fondest memory is drinking sassafras tea from the Dutch Oven. Great times.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have steam baked muffins backpacking before. Not even close to the tasty food that comes out of a dutch oven.

Boy Scouts in the 60's and 70's, had a Scout Master that always bought a Dutch Oven along. He made pot roast and other good things. Fondest memory is drinking sassafras tea from the Dutch Oven. Great times.
I have never tried Sassafras Tea, and my woods are full of if. To this day I will peel back the bark to chew the pith of the stems. Gotta learn how to make tea!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Dutch oven is the only way to cook pot roast, IMO. Gives it a certain something normal pans can’t.

Top Bottom