What's new

Camera Recommendations

On the subject of zoom, one can be very successful with "Crop-Zooming" if the photo is very clear.

Sony's are very good due to the Zeiss glass they use. That is what the spouse uses.
Fuji's, the X100 series, especially the X100v is an awesome camera. It has both an optical and electronic viewfinder. The film simulations are top notch.
The X-pro 2 & 3 are basically the X100's in a switch lens format.

I almost pulled the trigger on an X100V as a tote-along-everywhere camera when I didn't want to carry my backpack full of full sized Canon gear.
But just before I bought the Fuji, I came upon a slightly used Leica X-U for the same price. That cause a dent on the credit card.
You might check out KEH.com ( I have no affiliation), they carry upper end used photo gear and have great prices plus a fantastic warranty/return policy.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've not kept up with the technical stuff for a long while - the crop zooming sounds worth thinking about, think you give up the thin focal plane look produced by a longer lens in exchange for a faster "normal" lens if I am understanding correctly?

I’ve just about given up on zoom lenses in favor of prime lenses and zoom in with my feet. The prime lenses that I have are so much sharper than the zooms, it’s not even close. I’ve bought my last zoom.

I've not kept up with the technical stuff for a long while - the crop zooming sounds worth thinking about, think you give up the thin focal plane look produced by a longer lens in exchange for a faster "normal" lens if I am understanding correctly?
Cropping will only only cut the pic down in size. It will have enough resolution to hold up, but won't have the out of focus effect or compression of the longer focal length. These smaller sensor camera do the same thing. You will have more depth of field for given fstop and focal length equivalent. If a blurry background you may a larger sensor and or faster longer glass.

A couple more to consider is Lumix LX100 it has a larger micro 4/3 sensor and a 24-75 equivalent f1.7-2.8 or a Lumix fz1000 it's a bit bigger than the ones you are looking at but has the same 1 inch sensor and a 25-400 f2.8-f4 I think Sony makes a similar one too.

One more thing to add if deciding between Sony and Lumix. Sony does have better auto focus. My Panasonic isn't what I would call bad, but if pixel peeping it does grab the eyelashes or sometimes nose instead of the eyeball quite often. With the DOF of the smaller sensors it's barely noticeable unless you're zooming in 1-1 though.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Here's a curve ball: a friend bought adapters for his ancient SLR lenses for his newish bodies (Nikon, I believe?) That take PHENOMENAL shots. Looks like film.

I'm thinking of doing this with my ancient Minolta lenses that honestly, my new Canon lenses just can't touch.

Film was a great teacher. I miss shooting slide film.

Top Bottom