What's new

Camera Backpack reco needed.

Looking to switch out my (several) camera cases for a camera backpack. I got one for Christmas but it turned out to be a bit too small. Any advice appreciated... here's what would work best for me:

- Fits my Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (which isn't a very large DSLR)
- Two lenses
- Flash (Average speedlight size)
- Flash bracket and off-camera TTL cable
- Tripod strap/holder
- Also fits GoPro and accompanying fasteners
- Accessory pocket (of course)
- Flat enough profile to slide in a small rectangular softbox or reflector
- Under $50 a plus - I don't need something ultra-quality since I'm only an amateur hobbyist... just want to keep my gear in one case.
- Preferably something avail via Amazon.

Thanks!

I have personal experience with two backpack bags in the range you are looking at.

Lowe Versapack (forget the exact number, but I think it is the AW150);
This bag has some good points, but the bad outweighs the good. The zipper on the accessory section is impossible to close with one hand, and even with two hand is difficult. A good bag if you want to be frustrated. The section where the camera goes is good and has well protected storage. This section also has side entry.

Tamarac
I'm not sure of the number on this bag. I purchased it when it was on sale at the Canon eStore..
The camera section easily holds my full frame camera and 24 - 105 mm lens. In this section there are sections that can hold all the accessories you mention, including two additional small lenses and lens hoods. The auxiliary section can hold a fair bit of equipment also, or a lunch and lighter sweater. When I travel, I usually put a 100-400 lens in the auxiliary section. It also has a computer section which I use for my laptop when travelling.
The down side of this bag is it does not conveniently hold extra memory cards or batteries. It does not have a tripod holder, although you can put the tripod on the bottom with a couple of straps, and it does not have a rain cover. The zippers are designed so as to lessen the likelihood of rain getting in.

Both of these bags should sell around the price range you mentioned.

Models change as often as your socks, so be sure you try a bag out before you buy. From my Lowepro experience, a insufficient bag means you will be looking for another soon.

Thanks! I've seen Tamarac cases and they look useful. Will take a look at the Lowe as well.

I don't have any experience with their bags, but I have some of their straps and they are really good quality and the system used is quite clever.
I have been looking at their bags and I like the look of them.

The company is: Peak Design

Tamrac "Expedition" photo/laptop backpack.

I have been using one for eight years now without any problems.

Enough room for two bodies with battery grips, an assortment of lenses to include my 50-500mm Sigma, and distributes weight nicely.

I have a couple Tamrac backpacks and they are great. I think it is a good idea to get one that looks like an ordinary backpack (my Tamracs do) so that it doesn't scream expensive photo gear...

Tamrac 3370 Aero 70 Photo Backpack (Brown/Tan)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TF9YOC/ref=twister_B00A2OMMIC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Good idea about the backpack look - especially for traveling.

I ended up ordering a Lowepro I chanced upon that was within my budget. Amazon was out of stock so hopefully it will ship soon. If it doesn't pan out, these recommendations are still valuable!

i have a manfrotto larger sling backpack that works fine.
over $50, but should last for years.

proxy.php

I've been using the Lowepro Flipside 400AW for about two years now, great pack and holds a ton of gear; It's also comfortable to wear all day long.

Top Bottom