What's new

Came across this fairly recent post today. Mr. Camoloc!

How did that work out for you?

lol.

I was hacked. wait no.........its some fabricated lie.

nah, it worked out beautifully. I really enjoy all the extra parts of the hobby with tweaking blades, stones, something always could use a little work.

the main hurdle was learning to hone and fix razors.

honing an emaculate razor is a dream and too easy.

the beat up H.M. Darling I restored taught me a lot.
20200608_211513.jpg

honing good razors is easy........it's the jacked up ones that require skill. but these struggles are what I needed to go through. some members can attest i asked a lot of questions while working on this one!!!

the biggest barrier is that this is a lost art. I can't attend a learning seminar on honing locally or have people directly help me learn while sipping on a Starbucks.

learning trials and tribulations........priceless.

thanks gain to all. B&B members are a library of Alexandria. a true treasure trove of collective knowledge.

camo

lol.

I was hacked. wait no.........its some fabricated lie.

nah, it worked out beautifully. I really enjoy all the extra parts of the hobby with tweaking blades, stones, something always could use a little work.

the main hurdle was learning to hone and fix razors.

honing an emaculate razor is a dream and too easy.

the beat up H.M. Darling I restored taught me a lot.
View attachment 1171870
honing good razors is easy........it's the jacked up ones that require skill. but these struggles are what I needed to go through. some members can attest i asked a lot of questions while working on this one!!!

the biggest barrier is that this is a lost art. I can't attend a learning seminar on honing locally or have people directly help me learn while sipping on a Starbucks.

learning trials and tribulations........priceless.

thanks gain to all. B&B members are a library of Alexandria. a true treasure trove of collective knowledge.

camo

oh yeah and now the larger quest which will take a while:

"Finding my Edge."

camo

That's the thinking that led me to start with shavettes.

Paid the price in blood and irritation, to discover later that it's a lot easier to shave with a real shave-ready straight.
Still kept the shavettes going during the "Learning to hone" phase. Like you, I only had youtube and B&B to teach me. I literally know no-one personally that shaves with a straight.

These days a shavette is a once-in-a-while thing.

Like you, I only had youtube and B&B to teach me. I literally know no-one personally that shaves with a straight.

so i had the ability to meet with a “mentor” a couple years ago while learning to hone/shave with a straight. Very nice guy, and while he did help, it wasn’t an epiphany while he was “guiding” me for that one meet up to check honing.

iirc, he was old school norton 4/8 and some finisher. Its not like he or i had a ton of beaters to set and reset the bevel on. and that was really the key. Practice and testing and observing whats going on at each phase.

I definitley appreciate the opportunity but learned way more from just experience and exposure and shaving. And buying beaters and known commodities.

Top Bottom