What's new

CALYPSO S1 SLANT SOLID BAR - ALUMINUM SAFETY RAZOR

I wanted to ask the same. I know some forum members have both - the original ATT S1 (SS) and the new aluminum Calypso S1. Besides the difference in weight and material I am curious how is the shave with Calypso.

Will watch closely for experience and opinion.

Some reviews on the Calypso a while back and some members loved it - nimble and a fast shaver. The review was not on a slant though.

Bought the slant last week. So very light compared to the Stainless that I had to adjust my pressure a little. I don't have any other aluminium razors. Very nimble as suggested.

Bought the slant last week. So very light compared to the Stainless that I had to adjust my pressure a little. I don't have any other aluminium razors. Very nimble as suggested.

Are you adding pressure? I feel that I am using too much as my M1 Calypso is so incredibly light. The SS version is so heavy now.

I've been using the stainless steel S1 and S2 with a Kronos handle for several years, and I just bought a Calypso S1. My understanding is that the geometry is identical, but they are not the same in use.

- The stainless steel S1 is smooth smooth smooth. I just drag the head across my face, and it shaves quite close without drama. There's not much aural feedback. Results are similar regardless of whether the blade is fresh or extra-sharp.

- The stainless steel S2 is similar but more efficient and not quite so effortless to use.

- After a dozen or so shaves, the Calypso feels more aggressive than either stainless steel version. A lighter touch is needed, but the shave can be closest of all. Lots of aural feedback, which helps keep me out of trouble. The matte finish on the top plate seems to cause a bit of drag if the blade isn’t fresh, or if lather isn’t up to par. But, if I get the angle right, it’s easily controlled.

So maybe the old metaphor of luxury sedan vs sport sedan vs race car is apt. All three razors are fun to use and give fine results. But each has a distinct personality.

Are you adding pressure? I feel that I am using too much as my M1 Calypso is so incredibly light. The SS version is so heavy now.
I have the ATT Slant S1 and the Ikon Slant and although I alternate these razors, I am currently preferring the ATT. When I moved to the Calypso the first impression is the weight, its incredibly light, like picking up a biro. After the first shave, with a new feather, I felt that I had to use less pressure on each pass. As Chaucer says there is a good amount of aural feedback telling you its doing it job. Third shave in I am getting a bit used to it now doing a little buffering with it.
It may be me but I have felt that if I tighten the Ikon too much it warps the blade a little, dont have that with the ATT stainless. But I have released the Calypso a little yesterday and today and felt the same. I would be interested if Chaucer has the same feeling - as mentioned I use Feathers.

After the first shave, with a new feather, I felt that I had to use less pressure on each pass.

Interesting that you suggest using less pressure for additional passes. I haven't even considered that. Will try on my next go. Yes, my Calypso is incredibly loud. More so than my SS razor. I'm using Kai or feathers.

I've been using the stainless steel S1 and S2 with a Kronos handle for several years, and I just bought a Calypso S1. My understanding is that the geometry is identical, but they are not the same in use.

- The stainless steel S1 is smooth smooth smooth. I just drag the head across my face, and it shaves quite close without drama. There's not much aural feedback. Results are similar regardless of whether the blade is fresh or extra-sharp.

- The stainless steel S2 is similar but more efficient and not quite so effortless to use.

- After a dozen or so shaves, the Calypso feels more aggressive than either stainless steel version. A lighter touch is needed, but the shave can be closest of all. Lots of aural feedback, which helps keep me out of trouble. The matte finish on the top plate seems to cause a bit of drag if the blade isn’t fresh, or if lather isn’t up to par. But, if I get the angle right, it’s easily controlled.

So maybe the old metaphor of luxury sedan vs sport sedan vs race car is apt. All three razors are fun to use and give fine results. But each has a distinct personality.
Same experience here. Thanks for your great description.

I just spent $71 on an aluminum black/blue S1 razor head. I feel strange. I feel like a dope for spending this much money on a razor but at the same time, I'm eagerly anticipating it arriving in the mail. I feel like I did at X-mas, long ago when I was a child. Kinda weird.

For those that got the Aluminum S1, how does it compare to other slants?

I've used the PAA BOCS and German 37. I recently got a Windsor H, and I really like it. I'm wondering how it, or some of the other slants above compare.

Thanks

I'm strongly considering getting one when I found this thread. I have a 37 and a question for calypso owners. Does the top cap curve with the blade keeping the exposure even or stay straight with uneven blade exposure like the 37? All in all do you like the aluminum?

Ive been using a merkur 37c and have my eye on the s1. Watching this thread for additional insights and comparisons. For under $100 its a much easier decision over the ss version.... If its that much better than my 37

The ATT slant razors line up the blade exposure for you automatically unlike the 37 slant. On the the 37, you have to wiggle the blade around a little to get it to line up straight.

Has anyone ever used this black/blue aluminum razor from ATT? Did you like it?

Calypso S1 Slant Solid Bar - Aluminum Safety Razor
I have the ATT Calypso S1 slant and non-slant. They are both very good and are my daily drivers. Can't tell too much difference with the slant versus non-slant. But I enjoy either of them the most of all my other DE shavers, slants and non-slants. I also have the SS ATT Atlas S1. I still prefer the lighter Calypso though. So glad I got one. The Merkur 37C slant is another favorite of mine.

Raiden that is exactly what i suspected. I have mastered getting the blade in my 34c to align everytime but not so much w the 37c. At first i thought it was s bum blade but it became to frequent and suspected the razor. Way more than with the 34, if that blade isnt right its a pretty rough shave. Thanks for the confirmation

Top Bottom