Brush: Semogue Torga C-3 22/49 Finest Mistura
Soap: TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Razor: Worlds Finest Safety Razor
Blade: BiC Chrome Platinum (3)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

WFSR Shave 23:
And another super (cold water) shave. :biggrin:

Cold Water Shave 3:
I must say I'm enjoying these cold water shaves... but my "conditioning" keeps on reminding me that warm is nice. My current intention is to do seven CW shaves before going back to "warm" just to see if it makes any difference to how my face feels/responds.

I've been reducing my loading with the Mistura on each shave. Strangely enough that's resulted in MORE lovely lather. The combination of the fabulous TFS soap and the lather monster Mistura is a definite winner (in my limited experience).

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

SOTD
View attachment 1187045 :001_wub:

Blade: BiC Chrome Platinum (3)

WFSR Shave 23:
And another super (cold water) shave. :biggrin:

Cold Water Shave 3:
I must say I'm enjoying these cold water shaves... but my "conditioning" keeps on reminding me that warm is nice. My current intention is to do seven CW shaves before going back to "warm" just to see if it makes any difference to how my face feels/responds.

I've been reducing my loading with the Mistura on each shave. Strangely enough that's resulted in MORE lovely lather. The combination of the fabulous TFS soap and the lather monster Mistura is a definite winner (in my limited experience).

I must say I'm enjoying these cold water shaves... but my "conditioning" keeps on reminding me that warm is nice.
I started cold water shaving because of sensitive skin issues. I take my shower with a cold wash cloth on my head and try to keep warm water away from it. After a year warm water on any part of my head feels uncomfortable. My cold water shaves are very comfortable.

My DS Cosmetic stainless steel Z0 arrived today. After inspecting it, measuring it up, photographing it, etc... I HAD TO break my WFSR run and give it a shot. (LINK to Z0 details.)

SOTD
Z0-SOTD-Y_2020-11-26.jpg

Razor: (DS Cosmetic SS) Z0
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (1)

That was an interesting shave. I think I got off lightly with two tiny nicks on the point of my chin. I know well that the 2013 Mühle R41 has loose blade syndrome due to its large clamp distance, but I could easily tolerate it as a daily driver nonetheless. The Z0 exacerbates that problem due to its holding the blade nearly flat. I'm definitely a steep angle shaver, but I reckon 90° is just a tad OTT. :001_rolle

Toward the end of the shave I looked at the razor and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Waste whiskers and lather were crammed in between the cap and the blade, giving it a wicked little smile. After thoroughly rinsing the razor (which should have been easy due to the slick 'n' thin lather) there was still some waste trapped between the cap and the blade, so I took a pic:
Z0-blade-flop_2020-11-26.jpg

My apologies for the lousy pic. Although it's hard to make out, the blade is actually running below that waste. When I first spotted it (before final rinsing), it was easily three times that thick, giving the blade a pronounced smile.

Shaving with The Coach (my "no guard" razor) is a piece of cake compared to this:
NG_2020-11-26.jpg

When they said VERY AGGRESSIVE, they obviously meant it. :laugh:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That looks shouty! Both as a noisy razor and as a profanity inducer :lol:

It actually looks like it's not quite closed properly. Is the blade securely clamped when the handle is nipped up, Cal?

That looks shouty! Both as a noisy razor and as a profanity inducer :lol:

It actually looks like it's not quite closed properly. Is the blade securely clamped when the handle is nipped up, Cal?
It does indeed.
Absolutely!

I looked at it from all different angles and couldn't believe the amount of space, but it's solid on the two measly baseplate tramlines (typical manky Mühle and Jagger type design [IMO]). If you look at the sellers pics you'll see that's what it's like. SCROLL DOWN to see the "best" ones. :wink2:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It does indeed.
Absolutely!

I looked at it from all different angles and couldn't believe the amount of space, but it's solid on the two measly baseplate tramlines (typical manky Mühle and Jagger type design [IMO]). If you look at the sellers pics you'll see that's what it's like. SCROLL DOWN to see the "best" ones. :wink2:

On those pics, it appears heavily chamfered at the edges, which would explain what was throwing me off the scent. There's certainly less curvature and spring tension on that, than on my Jagger.

I particularly like this line in the seller's description...

This is The first version of Z0,so it is not very perfect. If you are a perfectionist, please choose carefully. This very important!!!!!

:biggrin1:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My DS Cosmetic stainless steel Z0 arrived today. After inspecting it, measuring it up, photographing it, etc... I HAD TO break my WFSR run and give it a shot. (LINK to Z0 details.)

SOTD
View attachment 1187412

Razor: (DS Cosmetic SS) Z0
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (1)

That was an interesting shave. I think I got off lightly with two tiny nicks on the point of my chin. I know well that the 2013 Mühle R41 has loose blade syndrome due to its large clamp distance, but I could easily tolerate it as a daily driver nonetheless. The Z0 exacerbates that problem due to its holding the blade nearly flat. I'm definitely a steep angle shaver, but I reckon 90° is just a tad OTT. :001_rolle

Toward the end of the shave I looked at the razor and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Waste whiskers and lather were crammed in between the cap and the blade, giving it a wicked little smile. After thoroughly rinsing the razor (which should have been easy due to the slick 'n' thin lather) there was still some waste trapped between the cap and the blade, so I took a pic:
View attachment 1187420
My apologies for the lousy pic. Although it's hard to make out, the blade is actually running below that waste. When I first spotted it (before final rinsing), it was easily three times that thick, giving the blade a pronounced smile.

Shaving with The Coach (my "no guard" razor) is a piece of cake compared to this:
View attachment 1187435
When they said VERY AGGRESSIVE, they obviously meant it. :laugh:

Thanks for using yourself as a lab rat, Cal. Probably saved some guys some money.

Happy shaves,

Jim

SOTD
SOTD-WFSR-G_2020-11-27.jpg
:001_wub:

Blade: BiC Chrome Platinum (4)

WFSR Shave 24:
Believe it or not... an excellent shave, :laugh:
especially after yesterday's (non WFSR) shave (HERE :devil:).

Cold Water Shave 5:
I've done a little bit of tweaking. At the end of my cold water shave (instead of having everything cold) I pour a sinkful of warm water to clean my gear.
Very nice (little things :letterk1:).

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hours after laughing at your post, I burst out laughing again, Mike. :laugh:

The picture floated in front of me and I was reminded of my time as a RoSPA Advanced Drivers' Observer/Tutor. I'm a Jackie Stewart fan too.

Somewhere, James May just rolled his eyes lol.

He took it upon himself to help James May take 20 seconds off a lap time on any track of his choosing. I cant remember the track but he did it. He's a good instructor.

4:10 haha.

Another mini Christmas today:
TFS-Italian-Rhubarb_2020-11-30.jpg

Having fallen in love with TFS shaving soaps, I HAD TO have another one and decided I'd try one of their quirky scent offerings. I added a five pack of Wilkinson Sword blades (which I've never tried) to get free shipping... and received the usual free shaving cream sample which went straight in the PIF box (as usual).

SOTD
SOTD-WFSR-B_2020-11-30.jpg
:001_wub:

Soap: TFS Italian Rhubarb
Blade: BiC Chrome Platinum (5)
ASL: Reuzel

WFSR Shave 25:
A very nice shave indeed. I love this razor. :biggrin:

Cold Water Shave 6:
All is going well with the cold water shaves, but I must say I'm glad that the bathroom's warm.

My new shaving soap took me on a walk down memory lane. There I was, three or four years old, at my Granny's rhubarb patch, pulling out what was going to be that evening's Rhubarb Crumble. The stalks were nearly as tall as me.
The scent is exactly the same, only my Granny's rhubarb patch was in Rutherglen (Scotland), not Italy.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What does the soap smell like? Pie?

Pie, and not much of it, is my only experience with the stuff. The pie was good, and memorable.

Great shaving related memory, Cal.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Reactions: Cal

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My new shaving soap took me on a walk down memory lane. There I was, three or four years old, at my Granny's rhubarb patch, pulling out what was going to be that evening's Rhubarb Crumble. The stalks were nearly as tall as me.
The scent is exactly the same, only my Granny's rhubarb patch was in Rutherglen (Scotland), not Italy.
I have a similar memory of a lady that lived down the street that had turned her backyard into a beautiful garden, with an avocado tree, two apple trees, two peach trees, a few Bonsai trees, corn stalks, tomatoes, strawberries and a large rhubarb patch. There is something wonderful about the scent of freshly pulled rhubarb.

Reactions: Cal

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Cal, I was looking at Fine Accoutrements web site. A growing number of their soaps are going out of stock. Their soap products are made in the Netherlands. I always thought it was made by De Vergulde. I heard a rumor De Vergulde is out of business. It's a shame because they've been in the business since 1554. I did a search and found De Vergulde products have been discontinued. This seems to fit my theory as to the Manufacturer of Fine Soaps. They are the only company in NL with the production capability to produce triple milled soaps. I hope Fine finds another company to produce their soaps. I think TFS might be able to do it. I love Fine Soaps, and I'm hoping that's not it for them.

Top Bottom