What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Yeah, send all the other razors on an extended road trip.
:laugh: That's my "usual" MO, Jim. For example, I've never had any problems with my "fixed fours." BUT, the SR has turned out to be a completely different animal for me. I WANT to do it but using the SR "only" seems maybe a bit too challenging, in that I start not looking forward to shaves because they take so long (and the results ain't BBS).

Another thing I definitely DON'T LIKE is using more than one razor for a shave. So if I start off with the SR and finish with another razor it makes me unhappy. On my "shaving shelf" I like to see one brush, one soap, one razor, and one ASL; absolutely nothing more. I don't know why that is. I guess it's just the way I'm wired (that's not a misspelling, but sure I'm weird too). :crazy:

That's the reason for my aforementioned plan:
Here comes another one of my plans (you know... these things I don't stick to): Every second shave with my Sensor Excel (or electric) to let my face calm-down/rest a little. Initial main shaves with the Feather DX to get me used to having the blade in line with the handle; followed by SR shaves to practise with the longer blade and getting over the scales blocking my movements.

AND GOING OFF AT A TANGENT...
That made me think of my time as a Planning Engineer. I'd never considered planning as a job/career, but was informed one day that my next contract would be in X location as planning engineer. I was somewhat surprised but just went along with it as I like challenges (usually).

Yesterday it struck me that I've always been a "natural" planner. I find it relatively easy to make workable plans and to have them carried out... mostly by other people but with personal involvement too. And of course it helps when you are fully conversant with WHAT you're planning (SR shaving not being one of those subjects :001_rolle).

I'll help you count...

Seriously, this gets easier pretty quickly, Cal.
I guess I'm just used to (most) new things I try working out nearly straight away. So the fact that I haven't had "instant success" has surprised (and disheartened) me some.
You can do it, Cal!
Thank you Jim. I'll persevere.

I was actually thinking about getting a CJB feather kamisori clone to get more savvy about the use of a straight without the scales!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Another thing I definitely DON'T LIKE is using more than one razor for a shave. So if I start off with the SR and finish with another razor it makes me unhappy. On my "shaving shelf" I like to see one brush, one soap, one razor, and one ASL; absolutely nothing more. I don't know why that is. I guess it's just the way I'm wired (that's not a misspelling, but sure I'm weird too). :crazy:

Think of multiple razor use as you would with any job requiring a set of tools. One tool does not perform in all applications. For example, I find a Schick injector to be better for around the nostrils than any other design.

I'd rather set the side burns with a safety razor than take off my specs and do it with blind with a straight or shavette.

I started a thread titled The Daily Double. Many have found using multiple razors instructive and enjoyable. I'm not trying to sell you, but just giving you a different perspective.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Think of multiple razor use as you would with any job requiring a set of tools. One tool does not perform in all applications. For example, I find a Schick injector to be better for around the nostrils than any other design.

I'd rather set the side burns with a safety razor than take off my specs and do it with blind with a straight or shavette.

I started a thread titled The Daily Double. Many have found using multiple razors instructive and enjoyable. I'm not trying to sell you, but just giving you a different perspective.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with any approach.

You can do this, Cal. It helps to realize the SR is not intuitive. Studying helps.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Keep the spine of the straight razor very close to your skin. Stretch your skin, but lightly. Very wet lather. Very very very little pressure. If your skin isn't comfortable with very little aftershave or alum sting you're probably using too much pressure or have the angle of the razor high.

That is, in one short paragraph, essentially how I use all my razors. A straight doesnt have a cap to apply pressure to the skin with, but the angle and pressure from the blade edge, no matter the razor being used, would all be very similar if not the same.

I see the biggest advantage to using a straight as being able to tailor the edge to your skin and your whiskers through honing and stropping.

The biggest problem I'd have using a straight is shaving straight left to right and right to left below my chin and jawline. A longer or wider blade there would be a hinderance which is also one reason I'm tentative about the AC format.

It really comes down to time and familiarity Cal, but you know that. :tongue_sm

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That is, in one short paragraph, essentially how I use all my razors. A straight doesnt have a cap to apply pressure to the skin with, but the angle and pressure from the blade edge, no matter the razor being used, would all be very similar if not the same.

I see the biggest advantage to using a straight as being able to tailor the edge to your skin and your whiskers through honing and stropping.

The biggest problem I'd have using a straight is shaving straight left to right and right to left below my chin and jawline. A longer or wider blade there would be a hinderance which is also one reason I'm tentative about the AC format.

It really comes down to time and familiarity Cal, but you know that. :tongue_sm

Nice post, Mike.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Nice post, Mike.

1cazld.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This might not come across well in written form, but your motivation might be lacking, Cal.

If your underlying drive is "see what it's like to use one", or "see if it's for you", then it's easy to shy away from, and never get beyond dipping your toe in the water. Mine was "successfully hone and shave with a straight", which I did, but now that drive is spent, and I seem to be reaching for DE every shave again. Jim's was "do 100 shaves and strive for the most comfortable", which gives little scope for bailing out.

Sadly, that inner motivation is not something we have full control over, so it's tricky to go beyond what we're genuinely motivated to do. However, should you have a change of heart, and your inner motivation is to master it - you will!

Long story short. If your heart ain't in it, wait till it is. :)

Strangely enough, I seem to be keeping to my latest plan.

Since my Otto Deutsch's HANS + Feather AC DX shave I've had Electric, then DX, then Electric, then (today) DX shaves.

SOTD

Preshave:
Proraso Red
Brush: Tiny Shavemac D01 Silvertip
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: Feather Artist Club DX
Blade: Schick Proline (3)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2019-6-27_21-19-58.png

Barring prep and clearing up time the actual shave took less than 25 minutes. I always take my time. Under 25 minutes is probably a record for me (excluding Electrics and Cartridges that is).

I DON'T DO PRESHAVES :crazy:
Just for the sake of experimentation I purchased a tub of Proraso Red Preshave and trialled it on December 1, 2017. It made the whiskers stand up really well but gunged up the DE razor I was using at the time horribly.

After reading all of @Chan Eil Whiskers Jim's praise for his GD Preshave, I though heck, it isn't GD but I'll give it another shot (and use much less than the first time). So today was my second trial of Proraso Red Preshave. Sure enough with only a tiny amount the whiskers stood up really well (not exactly to attention but great for my "growing parallel to the skin" type of whiskers).

BACK TO MY 16mm D01 Shavemac
I decided to give my 2-Band a rest. The result is that as much as I love it (the 2-Band), the D01 is still my all-time favorite shaving brush. I just wish it "looked" like a 2-Band. Of course, when its full of Proraso Red Soap lather it looks just fine.

Feather Artist Club DX
I really like this kamisori style razor, and I'm getting better at using it. This shave was probably the shallowest one I've had, and I was surprised at how easily the whiskers got demolished. I'm still figuring out the best angles of attack for all the nooks and crannies, but it's getting better/easier. I did manage one cut near the point of my chin, but it only showed a thin red line and didn't bleed.

Proraso Red After Shave Lotion
Lovely stuff! But again... it stung! It was only for a very short moment, and the cut I gave myself didn't sting any worse than the rest of my face. I suppose this will improve the more practise I get shaving with knife style razors.

SUMMARY
That was a good close (not BBS) shave. I can see that I'm improving (albeit slightly, baby steps) so the fun is coming back into it.

Here's wishing you all close and comfortable shaves. :001_smile

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Strangely enough, I seem to be keeping to my latest plan.

Since my Otto Deutsch's HANS + Feather AC DX shave I've had Electric, then DX, then Electric, then (today) DX shaves.

SOTD

Preshave:
Proraso Red
Blade: Schick Proline (3)
View attachment 994279

Barring prep and clearing up time the actual shave took less than 25 minutes. I always take my time. Under 25 minutes is probably a record for me (excluding Electrics and Cartridges that is).

I DON'T DO PRESHAVES :crazy:
Just for the sake of experimentation I purchased a tub of Proraso Red Preshave and trialled it on December 1, 2017. It made the whiskers stand up really well but gunged up the DE razor I was using at the time horribly.

After reading all of @Chan Eil Whiskers Jim's praise for his GD Preshave, I though heck, it isn't GD but I'll give it another shot (and use much less than the first time). So today was my second trial of Proraso Red Preshave. Sure enough with only a tiny amount the whiskers stood up really well (not exactly to attention but great for my "growing parallel to the skin" type of whiskers).

BACK TO MY 16mm D01 Shavemac
I decided to give my 2-Band a rest. The result is that as much as I love it (the 2-Band), the D01 is still my all-time favorite shaving brush. I just wish it "looked" like a 2-Band. Of course, when its full of Proraso Red Soap lather it looks just fine.

Feather Artist Club DX
I really like this kamisori style razor, and I'm getting better at using it. This shave was probably the shallowest one I've had, and I was surprised at how easily the whiskers got demolished. I'm still figuring out the best angles of attack for all the nooks and crannies, but it's getting better/easier. I did manage one cut near the point of my chin, but it only showed a thin red line and didn't bleed.

Proraso Red After Shave Lotion
Lovely stuff! But again... it stung! It was only for a very short moment, and the cut I gave myself didn't sting any worse than the rest of my face. I suppose this will improve the more practise I get shaving with knife style razors.

SUMMARY
That was a good close (not BBS) shave. I can see that I'm improving (albeit slightly, baby steps) so the fun is coming back into it.

Here's wishing you all close and comfortable shaves. :001_smile

Nice, Cal.

SOTD

Preshave:
Proraso Red
Blade: Schick Proline (6)
upload_2019-7-21_1-8-38.png

How was it, Cal?
:blushing: I strayed from my plan (shock surprise!). So instead of DX shaves with an Electric shave in between... my "in between" this time was two electric shaves and one cartridge (I was in a rush) shave. That "in between" (DX to DX) totalled 14 days!

Up to my previous DX shave I was doing well and getting better with the tricky areas (point of the chin in particular). My (unplanned) 14 day break took me two steps back and I was finding things that I was getting good at awkward again.

That'll teach me (I hope)! My original plan was working really well so I'll go back to it. And finally, to answer your question Jim, the end result of the shave itself was good, but getting there was a bit of a pain.

FOOTNOTE
Discipline seems to be the problem. :letterk1:
The rules I make up for myself are usually good. The trouble is I either stick to them rigidly, or not at all, no happy medium.
upload_2019-7-21_14-11-17.png

I've just returned from a six month B&B sabbatical. For about the first four of these months I was back to my old pre-B&B electric shaves during the week and Gillette Sensor Excel at the weekends... but I started pining.

I'm now back in minimalist form. Here's today's (and probably every other day's) shave:
ShavePic2_2020-02-08_800.jpg

Brush: Shavemac 22/47 Silvertip 2-Band
Razor: RazoRock GC84 with custom Shavemac handle
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium

Very enjoyable.

It looks like I may have some serious PIFing to do. :letterk1:

Top Bottom