What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:laugh:
Al and Jim, many thanks for your replies which, although contrary, are both definitely helpful. :001_cool: :thumbup:

You're welcome, sir.

Cal, I think shaving with the straight is great or I wouldn't do it.

However, that doesn't mean I think the shaves are better in any way than safety razor shaves - with the exception of the fact that my straight razor shaves are more comfortable - at least not yet. I know I can get closer to BBS, and get a longer lasting smooth shave with a safety razor, but I can't, with a safety razor, approach the comfort of straight razors shaves.

Straight razor shaves are for me vastly more comfortable! It's not even close (no pun intended).

I've now completed 189 SR shaves (not counting college attempts, not counting what I call barber razors, meaning Feathers with an AC blade). I suspect my straight shaves are improving and will continue to improve. Hope so for sure because they need to become better. Well, if they never become better I can live with it, but I'd like 'em to be closer and smoother and longer lasting and faster.

It seems to me that I'm slower to catch on to exactly how to do all sorts of SR stuff than many guys, but I also have been told that many beginning SR shavers never make it through the first hundred shaves and thus don't climb very far on the long, and steep straight razor learning curve.

It's all a huge and interlocking learning curve mess - shaving, honing, stropping, razor selection, restoration, stone selection, etc. - but one thing I know to be crucial is having a sharp and comfortable edge. If the edge isn't actually sharp you're getting nowhere.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Where abouts do you plan to get your edge honed in the UK? It seems that a lot of the guys who talk about getting started recommend honing and kits from guys in the US. Is there a similar sort of setup here in the UK?

I have considered buying two Gold Dollar (or other acceptable quality) razors to learn to shave, strop and eventually hone. It would be a beautiful thing to have a matching pair of straight razors, 1 soap, 1 brush and a favourite balm/splash. No need for different blades etc.

Having said all of that, I'm not entirely sure I could ever get rid of my Fatip!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Where abouts do you plan to get your edge honed in the UK?
I have my Coticule which I am practising the Unicot Honing Method with. (One stone from bevel set to final edge [plus a bit of linen and leather stropping]).
I have considered buying two Gold Dollar (or other acceptable quality) razors to learn to shave, strop and eventually hone.
You would need to find "shave ready" Gold Dollars first, bearing in mind that most sellers of Gold Dollars don't shave with them (or even an SR, so probably wouldn't know the meaning of "shave ready" [which also means different things to different SR users]).
It would be a beautiful thing to have a matching pair of straight razors, 1 soap, 1 brush and a favourite balm/splash. No need for different blades etc.

Having said all of that, I'm not entirely sure I could ever get rid of my Fatip!
I'm all for the minimalist ideas. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective) I always seem to be in one rabbit hole or another at any given time.

I doubt if I could give up my Fatip:001_wub: either.

I have my Coticule which I am practising the Unicot Honing Method with. (One stone from bevel set to final edge [plus a bit of linen and leather stropping]).

You would need to find "shave ready" Gold Dollars first, bearing in mind that most sellers of Gold Dollars don't shave with them (or even an SR, so probably wouldn't know the meaning of "shave ready" [which also means different things to different SR users]).

I'm all for the minimalist ideas. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective) I always seem to be in one rabbit hole or another at any given time.

I doubt if I could give up my Fatip:001_wub: either.
Does the Unicot Honing Method require the razor to be shave ready, or is it the whole shebang? That's the sort of method that I like the look of... Nice and simple (note that I did not use the word easy). The gear process is simple - 1 stone, water and tape. I do wonder how Bart cut that wedge from his stone, though.

No, it's the whole shebang.

You've lost me completely there James. Wedge? :001_unsur Please explain.
It's the slurry stone I'm on about [emoji23] I'm clearly a n00b when it comes to proper shave lingo!

It's the slurry stone I'm on about :laugh: I'm clearly a n00b when it comes to proper shave lingo!
Gotcha! :001_cool:
I do wonder how Bart cut that wedge from his stone, though.
Slurry stones are normally provided free with the main stone (as per the ad below).
proxy.php

Where abouts do you plan to get your edge honed in the UK? It seems that a lot of the guys who talk about getting started recommend honing and kits from guys in the US. Is there a similar sort of setup here in the UK?

I have considered buying two Gold Dollar (or other acceptable quality) razors to learn to shave, strop and eventually hone. It would be a beautiful thing to have a matching pair of straight razors, 1 soap, 1 brush and a favourite balm/splash. No need for different blades etc.

There are a couple of UK options. There is a UK vendor on the Bay called Billyji1 - his vintage razors are good but I believe a regular contributor to this thread had a bad experience with a Gold Dollar from him.

@Mr Bedlington has a good reputation as does @gary haywood. I believe Gary does a honing service but I'm not sure and might be wrong.

If you want to drop some serious dosh then Edward Brice razors are handmade in the UK and extremely shave ready.

For buying coticules, The Superior Shave in the US does have good prices but costs mount up with import duty and charges.

Beornidas on Etsy has nice coticules - the natural combo coticule/ Belgian Blue stones he stocks are very good, I have - ahem- more than one...

More important at first is a starting strop. I recommend getting a wide plain Leather paddle strop to start.

LATERAL THINKING
Reading about the great range of blade angles available to SR users (for some reason) made me think of @AimlessWanderer Al's DE shaving method, i.e. using the blade only (no guard or cap riding). I thought if I could manage that method maybe it would be easier to transition to SRs.

So I made a start with my Mk2 Fatip OC. After several (very nice) shaves I realised that a bit more blade exposure would be a good thing, so I changed over to my Mk1 Fatip OC. Having an extra 8° to play with has made a great difference. And the vaunted 30° SR shaving angle is just about right in the middle of the range. So my intention is to get more practice with Al's method on my Mk1 Fatip OC and then see how that affects my rookie SR shaves.
The move from the Fatip Mk2 to the Mk1 was working well, so I decided to raise the bar a little and move on to "The Coach."
upload_2019-5-16_4-9-21.png

SOTD

Brush:
Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Proraso Red tub
Razor: Gillette "No Guard" Tech
Blade: Personna Red (10)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2019-5-16_4-11-35.png
:001_wub:

Another very nice BBS shave using "The Coach." :001_smile

I did manage to give myself a couple of tiny nicks (on the point of the chin and just under the chin) due (probably) to taking a long holiday from "The Coach" (previous use July 19, 2018).

You're a brave man, Cal.
Thank you Jim, but hardly, especially when compared with your good self. I just loved the way you went right into straight shaving for just about EVERY SHAVE from October last year. :001_cool:

I'm sure the "No Guard" could be just as lethal as the straight, but the handle orientation makes it so much simpler (for me anyway). I reckon if I can do a reasonable run with "The Coach" only, it should make the move to straights easier. I'm pretty good at concentrating on things, but I'm also an idle git. So whether I'll manage a long run with "The Coach" or not is kinda debatable.
What I really need is better self discipline. :letterk1: :laugh:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you Jim, but hardly, especially when compared with your good self. I just loved the way you went right into straight shaving for just about EVERY SHAVE from October last year...What I really need is better self discipline.

Don't we all, Cal. That and a winning lottery ticket.

To me, never having even seen one much less used one, the razor you're using looks scarier than a straight razor. Maybe it's not, but that's how I see it. How comfortable are it's shaves? What is the blade angle (shallow or steep or what) relative to your skin?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Don't we all, Cal. That and a winning lottery ticket.
:laugh:
To me, never having even seen one much less used one, the razor you're using looks scarier than a straight razor. Maybe it's not, but that's how I see it. How comfortable are it's shaves? What is the blade angle (shallow or steep or what) relative to your skin?
Well, a straight looks a lot scarier to me. (I imagine) like a straight, it's very comfortable when the angle is spot on.
upload_2019-5-16_18-30-36.png

The shallowest angle (without pressing the cap into the skin) is about 26° and the steepest angle as far as you want to take it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Definitely not a constant angle Jim. Depending on location I would guesstimate anywhere between (and including) 26° to 74°.

Think about the angle a straight razor has vis a vis the skin's surface, Cal.

Like you, I tend to be a steep (or maybe sometimes design angle or neutral angle) shaver with safety razors. Not out of any theoretical orientation or bias but simply because I found that's what works best for me with safety razors. From a theoretical perspective I'd prefer a shallow angle with safety razors but it doesn't work for me.

upload_2019-5-16_19-34-7.jpeg

A shallow angle cuts the whiskers at an angle which is more parallel to the skin's surface and is thus less prone to creating sharp pointed whiskers which are uncomfortable (to me). I think that's part of why my SR shaves are so comfortable.

I hope that makes at least a little bit of sense.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I hear ya Jim. :yesnod:
A shallow angle cuts the whiskers at an angle which is more parallel to the skin's surface and is thus less prone to creating sharp pointed whiskers which are uncomfortable (to me). I think that's part of why my SR shaves are so comfortable.
My "problem" is that my whiskers grow virtually parallel to my face. Lathering helps to make them stand up a little, but not that much. So, unlike yourself, shallow shaving gives me nasty pointed (i.e. sharp) whiskers whereas steep shaving gives me blunt ones.

Vive la différence! :punk:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I hear ya Jim. :yesnod:

My "problem" is that my whiskers grow virtually parallel to my face. Lathering helps to make them stand up a little, but not that much. So, unlike yourself, shallow shaving gives me nasty pointed (i.e. sharp) whiskers whereas steep shaving gives me blunt ones.

Vive la différence! :punk:

Very interesting, Cal. I had no idea.

Happy shaves,

Jim

SOTD

Brush:
Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Proraso Red tub
Razor: Gillette "No Guard" Tech
Blade: Personna Red (11)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2019-5-16_4-11-35-png.981100
:001_wub:

An excellent (albeit somewhat slow) BBS shave using "The Coach." :001_smile

My four days growth wasn't as easily ploughed through as I expected. With my Fatip OC it would have been gone in a trice. Also, having checked my records, it's the first time I've used "The Coach" for more than one consecutive shave.

I think my idea of using The Coach on a regular basis, on the run up to SR shaving proper, is a good one (if I can stick with it). We will see. :stuart: :laugh:

Top Bottom