What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Also Grandparents last names (Stewart/Walker/Robertson/Galloway) So Brit/Scot highly

All Scottish names.
Particularly Stewart - thats mine :001_tt2:

BTW, think we might start a trend here? Microscope pictures of your face before and after.
Plus, can you guess what blade cut my whiskers?
Surely Polsilver SI cuts cleaner than Derby Extra :a11:

All Scottish names.
Particularly Stewart - thats mine :001_tt2:
Mine as well, if the "S" didn't give it away. :p I had thought Walker was brit, but knew the others were Scot. I thought I had some American Indian, with a "Bonebrake" last name. Turns out it was an anglicanization of the German "Beinbrech"

BTW, think we might start a trend here? Microscope pictures of your face before and after.
Plus, can you guess what blade cut my whiskers?
Surely Polsilver SI cuts cleaner than Derby Extra :a11:

Might very well, and with pics from <"Cops" music playing> "When Blades go Bad!"

Derbys worked fine for me, not that I've done any longevity testing. Only one blade didn't, might of been bad lot, not gonna buy more to find out, it would still be one I wouldn't buy because of QC issues :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Looking at the pics from you both, it doesnt look like you're shaving ATG but I guess its hard to tell from being such a small area.

The longest BBS finish I've had from a Derby Extra was 10 hours in my NEW SC, done very steep with a fair amount of pressure.

Typical shave with one in my Grande is about 8 hours on a fresh blade. By shave four, 4-5 hours.

SOTD

Brush:
Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01
Soap: Wickham 1912
Razor: Fatip Butterscotch
Blade: Astra SP (4)
ASL: Reuzel
upload_2019-2-10_18-48-33.png
:001_wub:

What a fabulous shave (BBS of course)! :punk:

As I was sporting a five day mini-beard I removed the Gillette Sensor Excel from the bathroom and got my ol' faithful Fatip out. The Sensor Excel does a very good job on 24 hours worth of beard, and isn't too bad on 48 hours worth, but any more than that and it's completely hopeless. I was considering getting my RazoRock GC84 out, but as pretty as it is I've been missing my Fatip.

Rave @Raven Koenes will be pleased to know that my Fatip OC has again claimed the Number One spot and easily pushed the GC84 back to second place in my selection of DEs.

TOO MUCH FIXED FOUR?
I think I've been overdoing the fixed four thingy. My intention now is as much variety as I please, with NO PLANNING, barring the upcoming FFFMM (but then that's only "one" month out of "twelve").

Happy Shaves all y'all. :001_smile

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD

Brush:
Blade: Astra SP (4)
View attachment 951516 :001_wub:

What a fabulous shave (BBS of course)! :punk:

As I was sporting a five day mini-beard I removed the Gillette Sensor Excel from the bathroom and got my ol' faithful Fatip out. The Sensor Excel does a very good job on 24 hours worth of beard, and isn't too bad on 48 hours worth, but any more than that and it's completely hopeless. I was considering getting my RazoRock GC84 out, but as pretty as it is I've been missing my Fatip.

Rave @Raven Koenes will be pleased to know that my Fatip OC has again claimed the Number One spot and easily pushed the GC84 back to second place in my selection of DEs.

TOO MUCH FIXED FOUR?
I think I've been overdoing the fixed four thingy. My intention now is as much variety as I please, with NO PLANNING, barring the upcoming FFFMM (but then that's only "one" month out of "twelve").

Happy Shaves all y'all. :001_smile
:thumbup: I knew it all along. It was just a matter of getting the right treatment regimen to get things back on track...refer to post #805 :wink2: I look forward to FFFMM. I'm thinking my Piccolo SE OC plate with a Silverstar blade. I'm in-decision on the rest. :letterk1:

SOTD

Brush:
Blade: Astra SP (5)
upload_2019-2-15_23-23-58.png
:001_wub:

Another excellent shave. :001_smile

That's five days since the last one which was five days since the previous one! I think I need to spend less time on B&B and more time SHAVING. :blink:

SOTD

Brush:
Blade: Astra SP (5)
View attachment 953258 :001_wub:

Another excellent shave. :001_smile

That's five days since the last one which was five days since the previous one! I think I need to spend less time on B&B and more time SHAVING. :blink:

I really like the matching handle and brush.

SOYesterday

Brush:
Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb
Blade: Astra SP (7)
upload_2019-2-21_22-49-56.png

That was a very nice shave (BBS of course :001_smile). Although I enjoyed it the NEW SC didn't quite match up to my beloved Fatip OC, but then it never has.

SOTD

Brush:
Razor: Gillette 1920s Old Type with 1946 Tech fat handle
Blade: Astra SP (8)
upload_2019-2-21_22-56-38.png

Another great BBS shave with one of my old favorites (pun not intended).:001_smile And as much as I like it, it'll never get as much love as my Fatip OC.

WHAT'S WITH ALL THE RAZOR FLIRTATION? :001_huh:
A post in The World Shave Off Showdown thread "forced" me to use my NEW SC on Wednesday. After that shave I decided it was about time to forget all about my razor monogamy and enjoy more flirtation (with the idea of keeping my technique up to scratch, as well as improving it). I'm still into weeks and even the occasional month (FFFMM) with one razor to dial it in, but I get stale using just one razor (albeit a beloved one) for a long time.

SO THAT'S MY LATEST PLAN :laugh:
upload_2019-2-21_23-30-54.png

That's a really hard question Anthony, and I don't know the answer. I like both of them, but to me OCs and SBs are kinda apples and oranges.

That's booty chatter! :ciappa:

So...neither the SC or Game Changer match up against the Fatip? I'm assuming you are referring to the MK1 Fatip, I know it definitely has more blade exposure than the SC.

SOTD

Brush:
Razor: BOSC 3F by Karve
Blade: Astra SP (9)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2019-2-24_20-39-27.png

That was an excellent shave, but my BOSC 3F by Karve took me by surprise. It was like a completely new, and different, razor. Mind you, the last time I used it was August 9 last year. I've only ever used it in a few small spurts, so I'll shave with it a couple more times and see if I still like it as much as I did today. If so I might do the FFFMM with it to get to know it properly.

My FFFMM was completed with the gear from the post above (#819). The outcome was that I'm still in love with my tiny shaving brush, Wickham 1912 shaving soap, and Proraso Red ASL. On the other hand, my BOSC 2F by Karve was OK but not "to die for."

Yesterday I used my RazorRock 84GC and that wasn't "to die for" either. When it comes to DE razors the magical Fatip OC is still my true love.

ON TO TODAY'S EXPERIMENT
upload_2019-4-3_23-44-10.png

I like the GD W58 mini SR, but not the shape of the point. I'd previously said that I would leave it as is because I didn't have the tools to change it. It was driving me bananas so I purchased a few small and inexpensive tools from eBay.

Today's project was reshaping the point then commencing my honing/stropping journey via the Unicot Method.
upload_2019-4-3_23-52-57.png

My "first attempt" results certainly wouldn't win any art prizes, but they are functionally OK. I decided to shave one cheek (which includes trimming one sideburn and part of my mustache). Although far from perfect (the alum check burned somewhat) the edge was the sharpest SR edge I've used so far (coming in very close to a Schick Proline blade).

I assume the alum burn was something to do with the edge, but before I play around with any further honing I intend checking out @Somerled Doug's post- and pre-shave method to see what my next W58 SR shave trial feels like. So post-shave I gave the W58 ten laps on cotton then twenty laps on leather. Prior to the next W58 shave I'll give it 6 laps CrOx, 10 laps Cotton, and 20 laps Leather.

I'm currently sitting here feeling my DFS right cheek AND my one days growth left cheek. Doncha just love experiments? :001_huh: :001_smile :001_tt2:

Top Bottom