Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Discussion in 'Journals and Diaries' started by Cal, Apr 19, 2018.

All Scottish names.
    Particularly Stewart - thats mine :001_tt2:

BTW, think we might start a trend here? Microscope pictures of your face before and after.
    Plus, can you guess what blade cut my whiskers?
    Surely Polsilver SI cuts cleaner than Derby Extra :a11:

1. Mine as well, if the "S" didn't give it away. :p I had thought Walker was brit, but knew the others were Scot. I thought I had some American Indian, with a "Bonebrake" last name. Turns out it was an anglicanization of the German "Beinbrech"

Might very well, and with pics from <"Cops" music playing> "When Blades go Bad!"

Derbys worked fine for me, not that I've done any longevity testing. Only one blade didn't, might of been bad lot, not gonna buy more to find out, it would still be one I wouldn't buy because of QC issues :)

2. Esox

Esox Ambassador

Looking at the pics from you both, it doesnt look like you're shaving ATG but I guess its hard to tell from being such a small area.

The longest BBS finish I've had from a Derby Extra was 10 hours in my NEW SC, done very steep with a fair amount of pressure.

Typical shave with one in my Grande is about 8 hours on a fresh blade. By shave four, 4-5 hours.

3. Cal

Cal Contributor

SOTD

Brush:
    Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01
    Soap: Wickham 1912
    Razor: Fatip Butterscotch
    Blade: Astra SP (4)
    ASL: Reuzel
    upload_2019-2-10_18-48-33.png :001_wub:

What a fabulous shave (BBS of course)! :punk:

As I was sporting a five day mini-beard I removed the Gillette Sensor Excel from the bathroom and got my ol' faithful Fatip out. The Sensor Excel does a very good job on 24 hours worth of beard, and isn't too bad on 48 hours worth, but any more than that and it's completely hopeless. I was considering getting my RazoRock GC84 out, but as pretty as it is I've been missing my Fatip.

Rave @Raven Koenes will be pleased to know that my Fatip OC has again claimed the Number One spot and easily pushed the GC84 back to second place in my selection of DEs.

TOO MUCH FIXED FOUR?
    I think I've been overdoing the fixed four thingy. My intention now is as much variety as I please, with NO PLANNING, barring the upcoming FFFMM (but then that's only "one" month out of "twelve").

Happy Shaves all y'all. :001_smile

4. Esox

Esox Ambassador

Not only Rave. I was worried you may need another treatment lol.
    McMurtry.jpg

5. Raven Koenes

Raven Koenes Contributor

:laugh:

6. Raven Koenes

Raven Koenes Contributor

:thumbup: I knew it all along. It was just a matter of getting the right treatment regimen to get things back on track...refer to post #805 :wink2: I look forward to FFFMM. I'm thinking my Piccolo SE OC plate with a Silverstar blade. I'm in-decision on the rest. :letterk1:

7. Cal

Cal Contributor

:scared:
    :letterk1:

8. Esox

Esox Ambassador

We all need a reset now and then. :)

9. Cal

Cal Contributor

SOTD

Brush:
    Razor: Fatip Butterscotch
    Blade: Astra SP (5)
    upload_2019-2-15_23-23-58.png :001_wub:

Another excellent shave. :001_smile

That's five days since the last one which was five days since the previous one! I think I need to spend less time on B&B and more time SHAVING. :blink:

10. I really like the matching handle and brush.

11. Esox

Esox Ambassador

GC knocked down another notch Cal? :)

12. Cal

Cal Contributor

Thank you Seveneighth. :001_smile
    Naw Mike, it's still on the Number 2 pedestal.

13. Cal

Cal Contributor

SOYesterday

Brush:
    Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb
    Blade: Astra SP (7)
    upload_2019-2-21_22-49-56.png

That was a very nice shave (BBS of course :001_smile). Although I enjoyed it the NEW SC didn't quite match up to my beloved Fatip OC, but then it never has.

SOTD

Brush:
    Razor: Gillette 1920s Old Type with 1946 Tech fat handle
    Blade: Astra SP (8)
    upload_2019-2-21_22-56-38.png

Another great BBS shave with one of my old favorites (pun not intended).:001_smile And as much as I like it, it'll never get as much love as my Fatip OC.

WHAT'S WITH ALL THE RAZOR FLIRTATION? :001_huh:
    A post in The World Shave Off Showdown thread "forced" me to use my NEW SC on Wednesday. After that shave I decided it was about time to forget all about my razor monogamy and enjoy more flirtation (with the idea of keeping my technique up to scratch, as well as improving it). I'm still into weeks and even the occasional month (FFFMM) with one razor to dial it in, but I get stale using just one razor (albeit a beloved one) for a long time.

SO THAT'S MY LATEST PLAN :laugh:
    upload_2019-2-21_23-30-54.png

14. How does the SC match up against the game changer?

15. Cal

Cal Contributor

That's a really hard question Anthony, and I don't know the answer. I like both of them, but to me OCs and SBs are kinda apples and oranges.

16. Esox

Esox Ambassador

inquiring-minds-want-to-know.jpg

17. That's booty chatter! :ciappa:

So...neither the SC or Game Changer match up against the Fatip? I'm assuming you are referring to the MK1 Fatip, I know it definitely has more blade exposure than the SC.

18. Cal

Cal Contributor

SOTD

Brush:
    Razor: BOSC 3F by Karve
    Blade: Astra SP (9)
    ASL: Proraso Red
    upload_2019-2-24_20-39-27.png

That was an excellent shave, but my BOSC 3F by Karve took me by surprise. It was like a completely new, and different, razor. Mind you, the last time I used it was August 9 last year. I've only ever used it in a few small spurts, so I'll shave with it a couple more times and see if I still like it as much as I did today. If so I might do the FFFMM with it to get to know it properly.