What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

What is a "case ax"?
They must mean the guillotine on the label :behead:
I'm really enjoying the Reuzel ASL and its barbershop (lard and apples) scent. A big THANK YOU to @John Rose for his thread about it, otherwise I'd never have known that it existed.
You are quite welcome.
As it happens, I used some Reuzel tonight.
I'm considering getting some of the hair tonic to use as an overnight mustache conditioner. It smells the same.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Oh no. Rave is being pulled into a cult!

View attachment 946478

I'm confused. Reuzel is a "cult brand" in The Netherlands, but its made in the USA? What am I missing...
Yup, I'm pulled right in and hit the buy it now button. I'm curious as well about the made in USA thing. It says manufactured in the USA, but also say's it is distributed by/Par Schorem Rotterdam Holland. It will be my first cult experience using pig fat apples of sandalwood aftershave with a Guillotine on the label from the bad boys of wet shaving. :w00t: :punk:

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
They must mean the guillotine on the label :behead:

You are quite welcome.
As it happens, I used some Reuzel tonight.
I'm considering getting some of the hair tonic to use as an overnight mustache conditioner. It smells the same.
My Reuzel aftershave was ordered this morning and dispatched this afternoon from Maggard.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yup, I'm pulled right in and hit the buy it now button. I'm curious as well about the made in USA thing. It says manufactured in the USA, but also say's it is distributed by/Par Schorem Rotterdam Holland. It will be my first cult experience using pig fat apples of sandalwood aftershave with a Guillotine on the label from the bad boys of wet shaving. :w00t: :punk:

Pork, apples and Sandalwood. How bad could it be... lol

SOTD

Brush:
Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01
Soap: Wickham 1902
Razor: RazoRock GC84
Blade: SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium (1)
ASL: Reuzel
upload_2019-1-27_1-21-35.png

For the first time in a long time I tried a new blade. I know first impressions are often dubious, but all my previous blade first impressions have been spot on (for me of course). The SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium was decidedly "meh."

RESULT: DFS. As I'm now used to getting BBS shaves with all of my DEs and my only SE, I was a bit put out. I still enjoyed my shave, in a masochistic sort of way, though. To me the blade was scratchy and quite dull. The 30 times used Polsilver SI that I used in my previous shave would have walked all over it. To be sure it's the blade and not the operator I'll use it for my next shave. If it performs similarly I'll bin it and put its 199 brothers in the PIF box. :001_rolle :laugh:

I must admit that I was surprised because most blades work just fine for me. Fortunately the rest of the team was excellent, but I knew that already. The blade was the only new kid on the block.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wow. One of my favourite blades those, Cal. I find them nicely sharp, but without feeling bitey, and extremely smooth. Not as long lived as some of my other favourites, but very comfortable. Might be worth trying them in a different razor, and/or trying a different blade in case you picked out a duff one.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Cal, I like the Polsilvers much better, too, not that the others are bad. It's just hard to beat Polsilvers. Not that everybody likes the same blade, but you surely see a lot of Polsilver love around the forum (and some hate).

Happy shaves,

Jim

SOTD

Brush:
Soap: Wickham 1902
Blade: SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium (1)
View attachment 947333

For the first time in a long time I tried a new blade. I know first impressions are often dubious, but all my previous blade first impressions have been spot on (for me of course). The SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium was decidedly "meh."

RESULT: DFS. As I'm now used to getting BBS shaves with all of my DEs and my only SE, I was a bit put out. I still enjoyed my shave, in a masochistic sort of way, though. To me the blade was scratchy and quite dull. The 30 times used Polsilver SI that I used in my previous shave would have walked all over it. To be sure it's the blade and not the operator I'll use it for my next shave. If it performs similarly I'll bin it and put its 199 brothers in the PIF box. :001_rolle [emoji23]

I must admit that I was surprised because most blades work just fine for me. Fortunately the rest of the team was excellent, but I knew that already. The blade was the only new kid on the block.
I would try a different blade from a different tuck if possible. SuperMax blades are very inconsistent in my experience. I've used a couple of the titanium and a couple platinum. Four total blades. Two gave decent shaves. The other two gave pretty horrendous shaves. This was a year ago or more when I still hadn't figured out my lathers and my technique was poor. But I still do remember how inconsistent the SuperMax blades were for me. Some gents really like them, so definitely worth giving them another chance with a different blade.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

To me the blade was scratchy and quite dull. The 30 times used Polsilver SI that I used in my previous shave would have walked all over it.

You are correct, the Blue Diamond blade is not that sharp! I place it above Derby blades though. Sorry Mike @Esox

I can go over areas many times with the Super Max until I hit BBS and not tear my face up or feel much or any feedback from the AS.

The Polsilver will get me to BBS with less strokes but there will be more feedback from the AS until the blade breaks in good.

Keep in mind that I lather once and I keep going until I hit BBS with any razor and blade, the Blue Diamond blades are middle of the pack for me!

Thank you for the blade feedback guys, appreciated. :001_smile

I was trawling through my shaving spreadsheets (they're kinda long) and discovered that I had actually trialed a SuperMax BDT before (January 3, 2016)... with exactly the same conclusions as yesterday. :001_rolle

SOTD

Brush:
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Blade: Astra SP (1)
upload_2019-1-27_22-17-56.png

That was a superb BBS shave. :punk:

The two changes in the line up today were the blade and the soap.

BLADE
Astra SP. I don't have much experience with Astra SPs, but the experience I do have was and is consistently good – sharp and smooth.

SOAP
Mitchell's Wool Fat. As much as I've been enjoying Wickham 1912, good ol' MWF walks all over it. It's definitely the best performing soap that I possess (so much for MdC [at ten times the cost of MWF]). :crazy:

FINAL THOUGHTS (well, today anyway.)
I believe I've discovered my minimalist dream. That includes the DE razor (and good ol' Polsilver SIs too).
I'm still playing around with SEs and straights of course. :letterk1: :laugh:

FOOTNOTE
Is it possible for anyone to become a "true" minimalist after significant immersion in B&B? :a16:

Is it possible for anyone to become a "true" minimalist after significant immersion in B&B? :a16:

Yes, I'm there. ATT SE1/Schick Proline

Astra SP. I don't have much experience with Astra SPs, but the experience I do have was and is consistently good – sharp and smooth.

They get better after a few shaves when the coating wears off some. The Astra SS comes out the gate smoking...

They get better after a few shaves when the coating wears off some. The Astra SS comes out the gate smoking...
Ha! I still have the Astra SSs you sent me in a PIF ages ago.:thumbup1: I'll try one when I finish with the SP, cheers.

Top Bottom