What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Terrific post and very helpful for me.

I have several questions.

First, what are the sizes of your stones?

Second, I assume from your username that you were shaving with a SR before coming to B&B. Is that right? If so, it explains much.

I'm a tad interested in the origins of some usernames. However mine was the product of very little thought, and is merely related to shaving, and my ancestry, and was translated by Mr. Google.

My main question is this. Are you saying you run the full progression - thick slurry, dilution, water, thick slurry with soapy water, dilution, soapy water - with each of the three stones?

It is very interesting to hear so much about these slates. I've seen slates mentioned but yours is the first post I've run across describing them in detail and explaining exactly how to use them, so I'd like to have your method described even more exactly if that's possible.

Oh, one more thing. What role do the stones you use with oil play? How do you use them with razors?

Thanks.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I don't want to hijack Cal's journal too much with my background by I've been shaving with SRs off and on since my teens. I've only been honing for just over a year. I had disastrous experiences with synthetic stones at first. When I switched to naturals it all fell into place for me.

Terrific post and very helpful for me.

I have several questions.

First, what are the sizes of your stones?

Second, I assume from your username that you were shaving with a SR before coming to B&B. Is that right? If so, it explains much.

I'm a tad interested in the origins of some usernames. However mine was the product of very little thought, and is merely related to shaving, and my ancestry, and was translated by Mr. Google.

My main question is this. Are you saying you run the full progression - thick slurry, dilution, water, thick slurry with soapy water, dilution, soapy water - with each of the three stones?

It is very interesting to hear so much about these slates. I've seen slates mentioned but yours is the first post I've run across describing them in detail and explaining exactly how to use them, so I'd like to have your method described even more exactly if that's possible.

Oh, one more thing. What role do the stones you use with oil play? How do you use them with razors?

Thanks.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I'll post separately or PM you so as not to hijack this journal.

I'll post separately or PM you so as not to hijack this journal.

I think we would all like to hear what you have to say about this subject.
I wouldn't worry too much about hijacking Cal's thread.
Because he's probably interested in all this as well now that he want's to become a fully fledged honemiester. :001_rolle

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Because he's probably interested in all this as well now that he want's to become a fully fledged honemiester. :001_rolle

OdRDs4u.jpg

I find it interesting and I have no interest in using a straight.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Cal needs the information, too, right?

upload_2018-12-13_11-53-58.png

Plus, there's the reality.

However, I understand some of us (not me apparently) think we should avoid thread derailment syndrome.

Mostly I don't care where the information is, and don't mean to encourage thread hijacking.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I don't want to hijack Cal's journal too much with my background by I've been shaving with SRs off and on since my teens. I've only been honing for just over a year. I had disastrous experiences with synthetic stones at first. When I switched to naturals it all fell into place for me.
:laugh: Post away Seveneighth, hijacking this thread is mandatory.

SOTD

Brush:
Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01
Soap: CRS Classic Almond
Razor: RazoRock GC84
Blade: Polsilver SI (11)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2018-12-13_22-2-44.png

I thought I'd post a "normal" shave with "one" razor. Very nice kit and back to BBS today. :001_smile

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Cal needs the information, too, right?

View attachment 934835

Plus, there's the reality.

However, I understand some of us (not me apparently) think we should avoid thread derailment syndrome.

Mostly I don't care where the information is, and don't mean to encourage thread hijacking.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, I got an Isle of Lewis Chess set from the National Museum of Scotland for my wife for Christmas. It is something her dad had. When he passed one of her siblings ended up with it.
TH2001_3_lg.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Rave, that's the most beautiful chess set I've ever seen. Your wife is flat out going to love it. You will get many points for this one, Rave.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks Jim, It is a beautiful set with a fascinating history behind the discovery of the original Isle of Lewis set of which this is a replica. There are a few places which make replicas, but the one sold by National Museum of Scotland is the best and the truest. They do house the original after all. :001_smile

Raven Koenes

My precious!
:laugh: Post away Seveneighth, hijacking this thread is mandatory.

SOTD

Brush:
Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01
Soap: CRS Classic Almond
Razor: RazoRock GC84
Blade: Polsilver SI (11)
ASL: Proraso Red
View attachment 934931

I thought I'd post a "normal" shave with "one" razor. Very nice kit and back to BBS today. :001_smile
I love CRS. I've been using CRS French Vetiver all week. My wheels are turning to purchase two CRS creams; Mint and Sandalwood. It definitely won't break the bank to acquire them. I wish I could do the Almond. It seems I have a reaction to almond scent but not almond oils. BTW I like the Proraso Red bottle and label. Did you make the label?

Thanks Jim, It is a beautiful set with a fascinating history behind the discovery of the original Isle of Lewis set of which this is a replica. There are a few places which make replicas, but the one sold by National Museum of Scotland is the best and the truest. They do house the original after all. :001_smile

I've seen the original a few times, pretty impressive they are.

Rave, I have the Sandlwood CRS and really like it.
It's not flowery and in your face like TOBS.
More of a subtle but definitely Sandalwood scent.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I've seen the original a few times, pretty impressive they are.
Doug, I would love to see the original at some point. I've seen my father-in law's set which was the same as what I ordered. It truly was impressive, and I know the sentimental value it holds for my wife. It will be a return for her.
Rave, I have the Sandlwood CRS and really like it.
It's not flowery and in your face like TOBS.
More of a subtle but definitely Sandalwood scent.
:thumbsup: That sounds great. TOBS is a little two flowery and in your face. :001_tongu

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Very interesting history involved with these chess pieces. I've been reading up on the set. Very cool stuff.

Thanks for sharing, Rave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom