What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I thought axes were the max

This is some next-level grooming we of the Western Atlantic settlements can’t readily understand.

It must be like when earlier Scots were using steam to move pistons attached to gears and wheels and everyone in the emancipated colonies asked “Watt?”

I, for one, am looking forward to learning about hacksaw shaving despite the terror it spawns in my humours.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
GSB?
GSB. This is a blade I've really wanted to like because so many regard it so highly. I was less than impressed with it in my Brit Rocket as it was a tuck in my first sample pack. In that razor I found it lacking sharpness. I was still unimpressed on first use in my NEW SC, again feeling a lack of sharpness. On second use in that razor it gave me a better shave. Smooth, adequately sharp and I had a comfortable shave using a rather shallow angle.

I had hopes I'd like it even more in this razor.

image001-1.jpg

Oh yes, there was blood. A lot of it too.

First stroke mid ear to the base of my neck it felt really pretty good. Slight tugging at the base of my neck, a little more so than what I would call "normal" with my NEW SC. Enough to make me pay attention.

Slowly work my way across my face repeating the full length strokes everywhere but the face of my chin. Considerable tugging there and on my upper lip. However, I had what I felt was a very close first pass, but I had blood from five different places. Most notably from the right corner of my mouth, and slight irritation on my neck.

Wet my hand, shake off the excess water, wipe and feel to spread out the remaining lather. How surprised I was that I had gone from a 40 grit face to an 80 grit face. Not nearly as close as I had thought.

Lather up to commence the second battle. Patton himself would have been proud. Harsh and tuggy, really uncomfortable and I could see the redness on my neck growing angrily. Blood showing through the lather. I had blood in the lather on my face in 5 places. Blood on my razor from shaving that lather off. Blood in my sink floating in the lather from rinsing the razor. Blood on my brush and in my bowl.

I should add that I had started the second pass with a shallower angle hoping to reduce that harshness, but only increasing the tugging. I shifted to a steeper angle and stopped a lot of the tugging, but this blade became quite harsh for me.

I assumed the 3rd ATG pass would be an easier shave, and to a point I was right, but I knew I wouldnt be able to bear any clean up passes so I stopped after my 3rd full pass.

Even just rinsing with cold water stung and I had to do a lot of it trying to stop the bleeding. Finally I just wiped my face dry with a towel and let it stop on its own. Five minutes later I went back and rung out a wet hand towel and wiped the remaining blood off, then washed the towel out.

It did get slightly better but its still akin to shaving with one of these.

525807869.jpg

Instead, I'll wave one of these lol.

paz-white-flag.gif

:laugh: Well spotted Thom.

My current full brick of Vitos Red (residing at the bottom of the fridge) weighs ~900g. (It must be an Italian kilo. :wink2:)
The brick I had bought was 940 Grams Cal. I guess their scales are out of calibration. On my shave schedule at that time I went through half a brick in a year. A price leader even with a butcher’s thumb.

SOTD
SOTD-1947-GT-W_2022-01-08.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" 14/42 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: 1947 Gillette Flat Bottom Tech GT
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
ASL: Orange FREEZE [home brew]

An excellent shave. :biggrin:

The blade was great today, probably due to the whisker honing on both sides of the edges (following shaves one and two). Do we need to start a blade flipping brotherhood? :lol1:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Doesn't everyone already flip their blades?
Many people think it's a stupid idea that only idiots would follow. Of course this doesn't bother me in the slightest. :biggrin:

I'll do what works for me, unless I find a better way. I used to be a non-blade-flipper until I was introduced to the idea [by Anthony (@rabidus)] and discovered that it worked. Some folk won't even try it because some "authority" told them it doesn't work.

Maybe we should start a "Freethinkers Brotherhood"... but that might be against the Terms of Use. :scared:

:facep:Micro-rant over. :cornut:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A freethinking brotherhood, where every member makes up their own entry criteria and membership rules, and totally disagrees with everyone elses :lol:

My Feather blade did shave 15 today. Still wonderfully sharp, despite the internet saying they don't last more than a couple of shaves :) I haven't flipped it yet, but probably will at some point.

A freethinking brotherhood, where every member makes up their own entry criteria and membership rules, and totally disagrees with everyone elses :lol:
:lol1: (I suspect most freethinkers here have read the Terms of Use and keep a relatively low profile.)
My Feather blade did shave 15 today. Still wonderfully sharp, despite the internet saying they don't last more than a couple of shaves :) I haven't flipped it yet, but probably will at some point.
You have a bit of catching up to do Al, see HERE. :wink2:

Many people think it's a stupid idea that only idiots would follow. Of course this doesn't bother me in the slightest. :biggrin:

I'll do what works for me, unless I find a better way. I used to be a non-blade-flipper until I was introduced to the idea [by Anthony (@rabidus)] and discovered that it worked. Some folk won't even try it because some "authority" told them it doesn't work.

Maybe we should start a "Freethinkers Brotherhood"... but that might be against the Terms of Use. :scared:

:facep:Micro-rant over. :cornut:
I’m waiting for an “OCD Brotherhood” that’s the one I really want to be in :c1:

Top Bottom