What's new

Cal’s FAB® (fits any brush) Stand

Very nice.

I'd seen the item before but missed the point of it. Never saw it with a brush I think.

Question: Can you take a photo which shows the lip?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
Does this show it better?

B9BB59FD-68C5-4394-9804-EA3C0F1CF786.jpeg

312AFA55-2917-4618-88FC-625281EC4E56.jpeg

D4524503-F1F1-449D-A6BA-D28DABF46CA5.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve always liked the look of the Thäter stand,
View attachment 1419735
but it appears that the gap between the front and rear edges is ~52mm.

This is fine for brushes with handles taller than ~52mm,
View attachment 1419734
but not so clever for smaller handles. The tallest brush in my collection has a 50mm high handle, so it would just slip through the gap.

Executive Shaving have the similar style Alpha stand… I had to laugh when I saw their pic:
View attachment 1419733
^ That brush is obviously way too small for the stand :facep:
(not to mention how stupid it looks).

So I thought, OK let’s make one that will fit any brush. If I make it with wire all I need to do is leave the rear vertical for large brushes, and bend it forward for smaller brushes.

Having made a rough prototype previously; I got my toolkit out (and a laundry hanger which I cut my piece of wire from):
View attachment 1419732

Voilà! Cal’s FAB® (fits any brush) Stand:
View attachment 1419730
On the left is my Wee Scot (13/39 knot) with a 31mm high handle, and on the right my current favorite Shavemac (20/46 knot) with a 46mm high handle.

Here’s the Wee Scot on the stand:
View attachment 1419729

and the Shavemac on the stand:
View attachment 1419728

The single laundry hanger cost me ~75¢ (and I still have plenty wire left over to play with).

I’m pleased with today’s little experiment. :cornut:
this is really cool, nice work @Cal

maybe you could spray paint it with a different colour to spice it up?

ill try to make one but im so crap at dip im sure i'll mess it up hahaha

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Does this show it better?

Yes. Much better. Thank you.

1646584441667.png

Here's another view. Found it on the SV website.

I've long admired the SV brushes but never actually seen one in person.

I thought the stands were for display but now realize they are also drying stands. I'm good with my Thater stand. I'd be good with the stand Cal designed assuming I could make one. (Making one doesn't sound like a stretch even for a non-handyman like me.).

Happy shaves,

Jim

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
i was a kid when roseanna was on tv lol but i have to ask @FarmerTan are you an actual farmer? lol
Oh no, I detest honest werk. I'm much too lazy to be a Farmer!

I've gardened LITERALLY my entire life. Even in the womb, lol. And growing up, I was like every kid that lived out in the country: we had to do chores. Weeding the garden, etc.

Weeding the garden, bending over picking green beans in a row that was two miles long, and then going back up the next row, and do it again, and again.... THAT cured me from wanting to be a Farmer, lol!

But I still have a too big garden for just my wife and I. We give a lot away.

I've done it so long my son was born with a farmer tan! True story doggone!

I've gardened LITERALLY my entire life. Even in the womb, lol. And growing up, I was like every kid that lived out in the country: we had to do chores. Weeding the garden, etc.

Weeding the garden, bending over picking green beans in a row that was two miles long, and then going back up the next row, and do it again, and again.... THAT cured me from wanting to be a Farmer, lol!

Growing up in the Bronx ny I had to pick vegetables & fruit & and every other thing you eat, the only difference was I did all that at the A&P. It was rough.

FarmerTan

Growing up in the Bronx ny I had to pick vegetables & fruit & and every other thing you eat, the only difference was I did all that at the A&P. It was rough.
We've had kids from the city out here from time to time. I do not believe that I have ever been more blessed than to see little eyes light up looking at food GROWING, lol.

When my son was little he was showing a grown woman around our big garden. Tellin' what stuff was. Called the "volunteer" tomato plants volunteers, etc. He was about 3. Cracked me up. Taught me something: them little ears pick up EVERYTHING, lol!

Reactions: saj

Had to Google the word doggone lol 🤦🤷

Get some stainless steel wire and start making them!!
:laugh: It was only a bit of fun experiment, Rudy.

On saying that, it's now my favorite brush stand! I live in a small apartment and simply don't have the space to manufacture things... but as you DO have your own workshop I say YOU should make them! You have my complete permission to manufacture and sell as many FAB® Stands as you please. :thumbsup:

FarmerTan

:laugh: It was only a bit of fun experiment, Rudy.

On saying that, it's now my favorite brush stand! I live in a small apartment and simply don't have the space to manufacture things... but as you DO have your own workshop I say YOU should make them! You have my complete permission to manufacture and sell as many FAB® Stands as you please. :thumbsup:
Hey. I need a cut of this.

I invented the coat hanger in a previous life!

Brilliant design & execution @Cal! And the comments in this thread are great!!! That's why I enjoy this site so much, the banter! I'll pass on the crap dip, BTW. And if you google coat hanger, the authoritative source Wikipedia says it was invented by none other than @FarmerTan. And to quote a highly respected member here - "true story doggone!"
dont worry @FarmerTan fell for the typo DIP, i indirectly trolled him lool 😂

unintentionally of course @FarmerTan doggone lool 😂

Top Bottom