What's new

Cal’s FAB® (fits any brush) Stand

I’ve always liked the look of the Thäter stand,
Thater-Stand_2022-03-05.jpg

but it appears that the gap between the front and rear edges is ~52mm.

This is fine for brushes with handles taller than ~52mm,
Thater-Stand_2022-02-27.jpg

but not so clever for smaller handles. The tallest brush in my collection has a 50mm high handle, so it would just slip through the gap.

Executive Shaving have the similar style Alpha stand… I had to laugh when I saw their pic:
Alpha-Stand_2022-03-05.jpg

^ That brush is obviously way too small for the stand :facep:
(not to mention how stupid it looks).

So I thought, OK let’s make one that will fit any brush. If I make it with wire all I need to do is leave the rear vertical for large brushes, and bend it forward for smaller brushes.

Having made a rough prototype previously; I got my toolkit out (and a laundry hanger which I cut my piece of wire from):
FAB-DIY-Kit_2022-03-05.jpg

Voilà! Cal’s FAB® (fits any brush) Stand:
FAB+2_2022-03-05.jpg

On the left is my Wee Scot (13/39 knot) with a 31mm high handle, and on the right my current favorite Shavemac (20/46 knot) with a 46mm high handle.

Here’s the Wee Scot on the stand:
FAB+WeeScot_2022-03-05.jpg

and the Shavemac on the stand:
FAB+Shavemac_2022-03-05.jpg

The single laundry hanger cost me ~75¢ (and I still have plenty wire left over to play with).

I’m pleased with today’s little experiment. :cornut:

I’ve always liked the look of the Thäter stand,
View attachment 1419735
but it appears that the gap between the front and rear edges is ~52mm.

This is fine for brushes with handles taller than ~52mm,
View attachment 1419734
but not so clever for smaller handles. The tallest brush in my collection has a 50mm high handle, so it would just slip through the gap.

Executive Shaving have the similar style Alpha stand… I had to laugh when I saw their pic:
View attachment 1419733
^ That brush is obviously way too small for the stand :facep:
(not to mention how stupid it looks).

So I thought, OK let’s make one that will fit any brush. If I make it with wire all I need to do is leave the rear vertical for large brushes, and bend it forward for smaller brushes.

Having made a rough prototype previously; I got my toolkit out (and a laundry hanger which I cut my piece of wire from):
View attachment 1419732

Voilà! Cal’s FAB® (fits any brush) Stand:
View attachment 1419730
On the left is my Wee Scot (13/39 knot) with a 31mm high handle, and on the right my current favorite Shavemac (20/46 knot) with a 46mm high handle.

Here’s the Wee Scot on the stand:
View attachment 1419729

and the Shavemac on the stand:
View attachment 1419728

The single laundry hanger cost me ~75¢ (and I still have plenty wire left over to play with).

I’m pleased with today’s little experiment. :cornut:

Now that's what you call a universal brush stand, nice going mate.....

So, what are you gonna hang up your shirt with now?

The loop on the back of his shirt lol there is a way around everything.

Hmmm. It’s unquestionably brilliant, though only in the same way that using rope for a belt is. 😉

FWIW, I really like my Saponificio Varesino brush stand. It’s about €20 but I’m sure you guys could make something at least as good for a fraction of the cost. It’s wood, works with any brush, and it just has a lip that holds the brush in place. Very simple and neat. Not my photos.

9F3BA3A2-7B0F-4B71-B210-ACC964816956.jpeg

D366E573-2503-4723-8E8E-FF1A91F33007.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hmmm. It’s unquestionably brilliant, though only in the same way that using rope for a belt is. 😉

FWIW, I really like my Saponificio Varesino brush stand. It’s about €20 but I’m sure you guys could make something at least as good for a fraction of the cost. It’s wood, works with any brush, and it just has a lip that holds the brush in place. Very simple and neat. Not my photos.

View attachment 1419998

View attachment 1419999

Very nice.

I'd seen the item before but missed the point of it. Never saw it with a brush I think.

Question: Can you take a photo which shows the lip?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom