What's new

Calling Canadians, West Coast Shaving?

I was lucky enough to be given a couple of IP Reds in a BST purchase. This blade works great for me, but I am unable to find a Canadian dealer for them. I do know that West Coast Shaving sells them, but what is their service to Canada like? I know they are a respected company here, I am just wondering about any problems with stuff coming across the border and approximate shipping times.

Thanks
George Mason

I have found that West Coast Shaving has excellent service.. John is a stand up guy. However, I have found that Border Services Canada delays parcels and than calls Canada Post to pick them up. So a parcel may arrive to a Border Hub in a week but the CBSC can/usually delay parcels upto another 1-2 weeks.

So typical cross border online shopping delays. My hobby is knife making so I end up cross border shopping for special items often and that delay seems to be common. I ordered a set of contact wheels for my grinder from a supplier that was 8 hrs from Winnipeg, they took 3 1/2 weeks to get here after they were shipped, then I got tagged with an extra $38 GST and handling fee by Canada Post.

So typical cross border online shopping delays. My hobby is knife making so I end up cross border shopping for special items often and that delay seems to be common. I ordered a set of contact wheels for my grinder from a supplier that was 8 hrs from Winnipeg, they took 3 1/2 weeks to get here after they were shipped, then I got tagged with an extra $38 GST and handling fee by Canada Post.

I totally here u George.. That is why when I visit my brother in the USA I place a fairly large order, and than bring it back with me. You could try and get a PO Box number at UPS and see if any vendor would send it that way? That way when you cross the border you can pick it up.

I do that with some of my knife making stuff now, but the blades aren't a biggy, I have about 150 other blades on hand, so if I have to wait 3 weeks it isn't going to kill me. Shipping is realitively cheap too, under $3 for the blades so I may look around the site and see if there is anything else I can't get over here from them.

For shipping items from the states, there are two main choices

1) USPS and assume a three week wait
2) UPS and assume there will be a $30 or so brokerage fee on top of the taxes

FedEx seems to be decent enough on the fees and time, but I imagine they don't have the best rates on small items.

Never had a problem with orders from WCS and I've ordered from them and Bullgoose several times. The orders have always arrived within a week to 10 days and I pick the cheapest shipping option

Never had brokerage fees, GST or customs fees on my orders either.

I've made several orders from the states and europe over the years and only one has ever had a customs/gst fee slapped on it.

Last edited:
i just ordered a razor from WCS & now i gotta wait for the darn customs to clear it its a real pain lol.

I find that US shave sites have much better selection, reasonable prices for shipping and items. With the CAD being so high it makes sense to shop on US sites aslong a you don't get hit with brokerage and custom fees.

Top Bottom