What's new

Calling all Wilkinson Sword razor experts

There are at least three versions of the Wilkinson wedge blade razor. I have two versions.

The first takes a full height wedge blade a bit wider than a Henckels Rapide or CV Heljestrand blade. Original blade height is similar to a Gem but the blade stops are wide enough apart so trying to use a Gem blade makes me nervous. Stropping is done with a separate auto stropper, not with the blade mounted in the razor head. The Wilkinson blades for this set will fit a Henckels Rapide or CV Heljestrand wedge blade razor.

V2 is the one discussed here. I need to look for one.

V3 uses the low height blades but with an adapter to fit the late version razor head. The blade is installed by mounting it on a stud on the razor head and rotating it a bit to engage the spring loaded gripping mechanism balls on the blade holder on the head with the adapter. Blades for this version have a center hole in the top adapter the blade is installed in. My set came with 6 of the 7 original blades.

I have V1 and V3 seven blade razors. No way I can see to use the V3 with modern blades and I have not tried to bend the stops closer together on the V1.
Hi
Just trying to clear up, for my own benefit, if V1 is an Empire or Pall Mall model. Also, will the Henckels & Heljerstand blades fit V1?BTW I liked your pictures & history of the Heljerstand.
Regards

Hi
Just trying to clear up, for my own benefit, if V1 is an Empire or Pall Mall model. Also, will the Henckels & Heljerstand blades fit V1?BTW I liked your pictures & history of the Heljerstand.
Regards

The Henckels and Heiljerstrand wedge blades will fit barely in the Pall Mall but not the Empire. The Empire uses a shorter blade that fits nothing far as I know except for the Empire razor. None of the Wilkinson wedge blades will work with the Henckels and Heiljerstrand because they are wider. Regardless of v1 or v2 identifcations the key features that seperate both is the Pall Mall can accept (barely) a Gem blade while an Empire can't, the other difference is the Empire head is designed like an Autostrop and can strop a blade with the razor while the Pall Mall can't.

The Henckels and Heiljerstrand wedge blades will fit barely in the Pall Mall but not the Empire. The Empire uses a shorter blade that fits nothing far as I know except for the Empire razor. None of the Wilkinson wedge blades will work with the Henckels and Heiljerstrand because they are wider. Regardless of v1 or v2 identifcations the key features that seperate both is the Pall Mall can accept (barely) a Gem blade while an Empire can't, the other difference is the Empire head is designed like an Autostrop and can strop a blade with the razor while the Pall Mall can't.

Thanks ever so much for the reply, which, read together with your first post re the 3 different Wilkinson versions, answers quite a few questions I had, esp regarding the blade adaptor for V3. I'm expecting an early Henckels Rapide, Heljerstrand 7 day & a Mandarin which I believe is a made under license in Germany version of the Wilkinson Pall Mall. Also an Empire. Hence all the questions.
Having to wait though for courier services to resume because of the plague lockdown here (South Africa).

Top Bottom