What's new

Calling all VINTAGE SIMPSONS - Hear Ye Hear Ye

Scotty, what size knot did you transplant? Looks nice. How did it work?

Anyway, thanks for your replies. Hope you're enjoying the Aristo. Jr.

Scotty, what size knot did you transplant? Looks nice. How did it work?

Anyway, thanks for your replies. Hope you're enjoying the Aristo. Jr.

I want to say it was a 10066 Omega. The knot was approx 22mm once out of the Omega handle. I ground the outside of the knot down to 21mm and opened up the handle from 20 to 21mm. Worked great, but I wanted the Crat Jr more :)

Latest addition. A Simpson 54 in Best Badger.

Sadly the knot seems to be in far better shape than the handle.

I'd be curious if anyone has suggestions about restoring the handle, stabilizing the crazing & cracks, etc.

IMG_0581 on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/rdMWxg] [/URL]
Thankfully, none of the damage seems to go much beneath the surface.

Anyone know if there is some sort of sealant that would work on this?

Last edited:
How big is the knot on that 54? I have a smaller 50 series, but the engraving is pretty much invisible. Also, anybody recently contact Simpsons about restoring brushes? Did you just email their enquiries email address?

A Simpson salesman case :

$unnamed (1).jpg$unnamed (2).jpg$unnamed (3).jpg$unnamed (4).jpg$unnamed (5).jpg

No clue on that. Guessing it was stored in some unfriendly environment. One of the few times where the knot was in better condition than that handle among my vintage acquisitions.

A wee bit of a shredder, but I can live with it as-is for a while.

Wat the heck were they doing with that handle????

cernel, I'll have to get back to your re the knot size.

you can contact Mark at Simpson directly via email on their website or through their twitter, facebook, etc. social media pages.

I have no personal experience with their restorations, but scroll back through this thread to see some nice work other folks have had done at Simpson (and elsewhere, as well as some nice DIYs).

Got this X2L the other day. Sadly someone marked up the bottom of the grip pretty good but I think it adds to the character.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424534791.973772.jpg

I have neglected to properly update this thread. Here are some of my most recent acquisitions, I will go back through the thread to see if I'm missing any others.

Simpson 54 for Gimbels
$01282812.jpg$01282813.jpg

Simpson Chubby 3 for Hoffritz
$01282804.jpg$01282806.jpg$01282805.jpg

Top Bottom