What's new

Calling all VINTAGE SIMPSONS - Hear Ye Hear Ye

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Three Simpson’s guessing from the late 80’s to early 90’s. Made for Geo F Trumper, a Polo 12, Polo 14, and a Chubby 3. Made from the Ivory stock the the slight red tint to them coming from one of the Somerset Mills. They are densely packed and not to floppy for there size. The tips of the brushes are extremely soft, with no scratch or skritch to them at all. These are a joy to use when they come up for use on special occasions

2B2BA35F-2A99-47CD-B535-A8BA643B5634.jpeg
F72B438A-7DA7-4809-8F4C-64BA60A443A6.jpeg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Three Simpson’s guessing from the late 80’s to early 90’s. Made for Geo F Trumper, a Polo 12, Polo 14, and a Chubby 3. Made from the Ivory stock the the slight red tint to them coming from one of the Somerset Mills. They are densely packed and not to floppy for there size. The tips of the brushes are extremely soft, with no scratch or skritch to them at all. These are a joy to use when they come up for use on special occasions

Nice brushes, Tim! I have a couple in "best" from that period ... the old pinkish Somerset handle stock is distinctive.

Stunners, and the knots look in good condition to use.

The knots are really nice and very usable, however the CT1 is extremely floppy. I'm debating on whether I want to send it out to get re-knotted or not.

Just got this one the other day:

BB14A139-DB72-4F2B-A098-E45E2A0D27C4_jpeg.jpg

106 in Pure Badger. The knot is in great shape, though it popped out when I first got it. Some silicone adhesive fixed her right up.

Go with the floppy knot. I have found that they are outstanding latherers. Well, at least give it a try.

I'm more then likely going to keep the original knot in my CT1 only for originality sakes. I don't mind it as I face lather anyway, so a floppy knot isn't a huge deal. It's still very soft and nice on the face.

Yeh for sure, re-knotting those brushes would be vandalism. They're heirlooms imo.

If I was gong do it, it would be sent to Simpson and have the same grade knot installed. But, that's only if it starts to shed like crazy, and it's barely shed a single hair since I cleaned and combed it.

Got my personal Holy Grail brush yesterday. Somerset Tulip 2. Haven't used it yet but washed it out and not sure how I feel about my first fan bulb, the 3 band bloom is enormous. (Not pictured)

Attachments

• IMG_20190805_122559_01.jpg
    IMG_20190805_122559_01.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Here she is after a dance with some proraso.

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190807162247524_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190807162247524_COVER.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 45
  • 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190807163210440_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190807163210440_COVER.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 49
God, I love this thread.

I’ve never seen a T2 in a fan shape before. I have to say, I prefer the bulb, but I would be very happy with that Tulip.

Yeah me neither, I was hoping for a bulb shape and figured the photos just had a bad angle. Fan may take some getting used to.
God, I love this thread.

I’ve never seen a T2 in a fan shape before. I have to say, I prefer the bulb, but I would be very happy with that Tulip.

So I saw this brush about to end with no action. I figured it looks like a decent quality handle and is probably about a 24 mm which I’ve been looking for some decent 24 mm butter scotch handles to reknot.

It gets here and I think it’s probably a Rooney until I look closely at the stamps And find the word Simpson very faded.

Anyone recognize the shape know if it’s got a name? The brush is only stamped “2” Where the model number goes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Anybody know if there was ever such a thing as a "23" model? I picked this one up today and it has all the hallmarks of a vintage Simpson right down to the lampblacking but it's missing the all important logo so presumably made for someone else? Either way it's a beautiful brush with an outrageously soft knot.

PicsArt_09-24-10.56.19.jpg

Cool thread ! I shall take some pictures of mine. Stay tuned !

Anybody know if there was ever such a thing as a "23" model? I picked this one up today and it has all the hallmarks of a vintage Simpson right down to the lampblacking but it's missing the all important logo so presumably made for someone else? Either way it's a beautiful brush with an outrageously soft knot.

View attachment 1019643

Looks more like a Rooney to me ;)

Ok here are my vintage Simpsons :

IMG_0342.JPG

From left to right : butterscotch Chubby 2 (original knot), silver Chubby 1 (original knot) from the early 1960s, butterscotch hive / tulip (reknotted in two-band silvertip), what looks like a Vulfix 52 but has a Simpson label (and hair is super badger, whereas the 52 is supposed to have best ?! I found it like this), and the very last Samson ever made ! Wasn't so long ago, but they retired the design.

I anyone has some more info on them (particularly the "Hivelip") don't hesitate to share !

Just got my first Simpson butterscotch W3L coming to me next week. It may need a new knot, but from what I can tell it’s all original. Any advice and help us greatly appreciated as well as any info on this one.

Larry
D8209425-DA65-4282-9885-AFE622AFC962.png

Top Bottom