What's new

Calling All Titan Experts

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I just got two of these from the GD factory, no markings, and my contact there refuses to divulge the steel alloy or a model number. They look an awful lot like Titan, to me. @rbscebu hope you see this.

MysteryGD02.jpg

MysteryGD03.jpg

MysteryGD04.jpg

MysteryGD05.jpg

The scales and spacer are dreadfully heavy. The razor tips the scales at 3.3oz. A GD66 is 1.9oz, for comparison. The weight is all i the scales and honing was extremely difficult because of the terrible balance. Also the steel seemed quite hard. I would say at least 62C. Shave test in the morning. So is this a Titan? A fake Titan? Are GD and Titan secretly in cahoots? For certain, I hate those scales. They are crazy thick with a SS liner and a SS spacer too. Grinding wasn't too bad. Bevel angle is a bit on the fatty side, 18.13 deg. This, while recently produced GD razors are mostly well under 18deg.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The scales look as though they are from a cheaper Titan VG10-HZ model. The blade could be VG10 steel but the shoulder grind does not match the Titan VG10-HZ.

The Titan VG10-HZ is reviewed here:

Personally I don't think it's from Titan. It could be GD are trying to copy the Titan VG10-HZ which is a good seller for Titan.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It might be a mistake to assume that both the scales and the blade are from the same source - with either razor. I believe that it was/is common for blade makers to outsource their scales....

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It might be a mistake to assume that both the scales and the blade are from the same source - with either razor. I believe that it was/is common for blade makers to outsource their scales....
True, however the scales shown on the GD blade are only similar to the Titan VG10-HZ in that they are of stainless steel with timber outers. It is just the concept that is similar.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The scales look as though they are from a cheaper Titan VG10-HZ model. The blade could be VG10 steel but the shoulder grind does not match the Titan VG10-HZ.

The Titan VG10-HZ is reviewed here:

Personally I don't think it's from Titan. It could be GD are trying to copy the Titan VG10-HZ which is a good seller for Titan.

Have you measured the bevel angle of any of your Titans?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Have you measured the bevel angle of any of your Titans?
Yes. All technical details are given in each of my reviews for the Titan ACRM-2, VG10-HZ and ACRO.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Oh thanks. I didn't read the fine print, just looked at the pictures. My bad.

Wow those bevel angles... like a ZY!

Top Bottom