What's new

Calling all Sheffield fans

I recently acquired this set of razors, and got them today.

They actually look better in real life than in the photos, the etchings are all crisp, and the "Prince of Wales Razor" on the spine looks great, the lettering is shiny, with a roughened background. Difficult to see on a photo.

Minimal pitting in most places, except for at the pivots where there is serious rust. These razors have never been on a honing stone, so I presume they were not used much, if any.

I know some of the history of the George Butler company, thanks to Arne that sent me a link. According to the history these razors were made between 1861 and 1882, because they used the "ART" mark. Geo Butler is known in our circles for their Keen razors, but I have never seen this type of razor, and I can't find similar razors on the internet.

So here is where I need some advice:

Any more information about them? Anyone have similar razors?

I think they are rare enough to take some care in preserving them, so should I clean up the corrosion? The only way would be to remove the scales to get to the pivot area.

How special are they? Is it just me that thinks they are special?

To me their value is not in monetary terms, I just love them and want to take the best care of them.

geo butler 1.jpggeo butler 2.jpggeo butler 4.jpggeo butler5.jpg

Those looks great, nice find. I cant help with any info about them, but any old razor is worth restoring IMO. Value, dont know either and guess it would be difficult to determine. The better the condition higher the price. Value for me is the joy I get in using, caring and maintaining them.

I found this KROPP that is engraved Henwoods - Johannesburg. Henwoods was a high-end market where the wealthy gold diggers and business folks shopped back in the 1920’s. Its just a KROPP, made in sheffield but engraved fo luxury store in SA, so it’s got some history value for me.

C04A8FE2-29D0-4F02-85A2-72313C9F2F76.jpeg

I found this KROPP that is engraved Henwoods - Johannesburg. Henwoods was a high-end market where the wealthy gold diggers and business folks shopped back in the 1920’s. Its just a KROPP, made in sheffield but engraved fo luxury store in SA, so it’s got some history value for me.

Yes that's special when you find something that has local historical value. I sometimes wonder what happened to all the razors that I am sure was imported to South Africa. A few weeks ago I was in South Africa, and I walked into a pawn shop that looked like they had anything and everything. Asked the owner if he had any straights and he looked at me like I am crazy.

My only relevant childhood memory was of my dad using a DE, he never used a straight.

That rust will eventually destroy the blades if you don't remove it. There are bladesmiths that do restoration work on razors. They can remove the scales to get at the rust and have them back on like new.

You should hone the razors and use them IMO. Simple maintenance will preserve them.

That rust will eventually destroy the blades if you don't remove it. There are bladesmiths that do restoration work on razors. They can remove the scales to get at the rust and have them back on like new.

You should hone the razors and use them IMO. Simple maintenance will preserve them.

I stopped the rust in it's tracks by oiling it and cleaning it, so it will never get into that state again. What's left is just the black marks of corrosion, but I have made the decision to remove the scales and polish out the marks by hand.

Agree that they should be used for what they were made for. Both just required stropping on pasted leather to achieve a edge that was good enough for a shave. Shaved with both and I was very pleased with the results. These blades feel different to the extra hollow grinds that most of my others have.

I will wait and do the work on them first before putting a real edge on them that I am sure will match any of my other razors.

Had a few hours today so I CAREFULLY removed the pin of one of the razors, polished it up with a combination of 600/1000 grid sanding paper, and then continued to polish with .5 micron diamond paste. Pinned it again.

It's not perfect and there are some pitting spots left, but this is how far I am prepared to go. I think doing more risks losing some of the etching.

I am happy with the result and because it's unlikely that I will be selling them on, it's enough for me. I don't mind that it shows some of it's age, it's about 150 years old, after all.

It was nerve racking, because I didn't want to do something stupid and cause damage. When I have some time again, I will do the other one.

The bit that I am looking forward to is putting an edge on them and shaving with them.

Geo B1.jpgGeo B 2.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering if you were able to clean up the rust cancer from around the pin hole area of the shank.
I managed to remove all the corrosion, should have taken a photo before pinning it again. No more "Black stuff". Polished it up so it's shiny, but you can still see a small indentation where the rust had eaten away at the steel.

Not going to happen again while they are in my care, I am a bit paranoid because I know how easy it is for high carbon steel to rust. After shaving I dry my razor with a paper towel taking care to get between the scales. Then I leave it open for at least a day, never in the bathroom, before stropping and placing it in a case with some silicon sachets until the next time.

Got the first one honed up today.

I think it's a testament to the makers skill that setting the bevel took about 100 light pressure circles each side and about 20 rolling X-strokes on a 3k stone. Blade geometry is perfect.

Did my normal progression to 8K, 12K, 1u lapping film, then on to the balsa pasted .5u, .25u and .1u. Stropped 100 laps on clean leather hanging strop.

Shaved with it, and I can honestly say it was one of my best shaves ever. Effortless, comfortable and smooth. Very sharp, but not harsh.

The makers may not have ever heard the word "Ergonomics", but they got it right 150 years ago. Handling this razor is a pleasure, both in stropping and shaving. Blade profile is perfect for effortless shaving, no sharp corners waiting to bite you, but small enough point to get into the hard to reach places under my nose.

It is clear to me that they were made for daily use. Easy to use and very efficient.

Top Bottom