What's new

Calling all shallow-angle shavers, I'd like your input

After repeatedly hearing people say that shallow angle works best for them (particularly ATG), it seems as though it's become almost common wisdom to tell relatively new shavers like myself to ride the cap to reduce irritation. However, I've never been able to get a shallow angle to work for myself (nicks/redness), and recently realized something. I use a Gillette New SC, and when riding the cap the comb doesn't even touch my face, resulting in nicks due to the lack of skin stretching ahead of the blade. Has anyone had a similar experience? I find that for me with the New SC in particular, a moderate angle that allows the comb/guard to stay to do its job works much better and provides a smoother shave with less chance for nicks.

More importantly than angles, the blade itself is vital to shaving ATG. A shallow angle coupled with a blade that is not keen or the edge is compromised is going to cut you. When i do go straight up ATG i'll only do so with a brand new blade. The shallower the angle, i find that it picks up the hair and whatever other skin/bumps is raised, cuts it closer, and irritates the skin moreso than a steeper angle ATG. I prefer to start steep because the blade doesn't catch any hair and skin and then adjust the angle from there rather than ride the cap which can feel like a front end loader bucket passing over your skin. Either way, if you run your razor south to north always do it with a fresh blade.

After repeatedly hearing people say that shallow angle works best for them (particularly ATG), it seems as though it's become almost common wisdom to tell relatively new shavers like myself to ride the cap to reduce irritation. However, I've never been able to get a shallow angle to work for myself (nicks/redness), and recently realized something. I use a Gillette New SC, and when riding the cap the comb doesn't even touch my face, resulting in nicks due to the lack of skin stretching ahead of the blade. Has anyone had a similar experience? I find that for me with the New SC in particular, a moderate angle that allows the comb/guard to stay to do its job works much better and provides a smoother shave with less chance for nicks.

If the comb isn't touching your face,
then somewhere along the line,
"shallow angle" has been misinterpreted.

My understanding is that the difference between shallow and steep,
is whether or not the cap is touching your face,
or how much the cap is touching your face.

I never heard of keeping the comb off your face.

I agree with Shane @Blackland Razors, the angle is about what the razor wants, not what you want. I start shallow/neutral, then adjust until I find what angle the razor works at. It sounds like a neutral angle works well with the New SC for you, that's terrific!

I second this opinion. Each razor is different and none will all work with the exact same angle. With that said, I generally find most razors are more comfortable when used towards the shallow end of their effective ranges rather than the steep end.

Top Bottom