What's new

Calling all serial numbered Toggle owners!

I've done my first edit of the wiki :001_unsur

Following a suggestion in this thread I copied the code from the Double Ring Database section of the wiki and played a little to create a similar database for Toggles.

So, if you are the proud owner of a serial numbered Toggle you can register your serial number here.

I'm the proud owner of 4123! I picked it up a little over a month ago. One question I do have is, the Wiki and other people have mentioned that it turns smoothly and does not click. Mine definitely makes a clicking sound and stops at the numbers and hash marks. Do other people's SN toggle click too?

Attachments

• $DSC03518.jpg
    $DSC03518.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 96
I read that as well. Mine has positive clicks in each position. Not sure why the Wiki states that. Perhaps it needs changed.

I don't believe the following sentence is accurate:

" In the Fat Boy turning the adjustment knob lifts or lowers a bar underneath the blade changing the angle of the blade in relation to a fixed gap between the razor head doors and a fixed safety bar"

I don't believe the angle changes. The angle is always set by the bar underneath pressing the blade to the cap. The doors just close on it higher, creating a larger blade gap. Which brings us to the next error, the mention of a fixed gap.

Actually, I have to disagree with you Amish. I think that the adjustor plate presses into the blade, causing it to flex or "dome" upwards more, increasing the blade angle. The gap essentially remains constant, although it does probably change by a very small amount as the blade flexes.

I do not have either of these razors in front of me tonight, but I believe you are correct Amish.

In a Standard Toggle the safety bar adjusts up and down to change exposure while the Serial Numbered Toggles are more like a Standard FatBoy, adjusting the dial moves the blade and doors up and down.

I do not have either of these razors in front of me tonight, but I believe you are correct Amish.

In a Standard Toggle the safety bar adjusts up and down to change exposure while the Serial Numbered Toggles are more like a Standard FatBoy, adjusting the dial moves the blade and doors up and down.

I thought we were talking about the fatboy in this case?

I believe the doors remain the same height on all the adjustables regardless of the setting. It is on a shaft with a fixed length that does not change.

Actually, I have to disagree with you Amish. I think that the adjustor plate presses into the blade, causing it to flex or "dome" upwards more, increasing the blade angle. The gap essentially remains constant, although it does probably change by a very small amount as the blade flexes.

Ok, I'll buy the flexing blade thing. But at some point, and I think this is early on, there is going to be contact between the bars (or, pillars), the blade, and the head - which prevents it from flexing any steeper.
As for the blade gap, you can see it. It is larger at higher settings. If the blade is flexing progressively further down, which would be accomplished by raising the pillars without raising the doors, the gap would actually become smaller on higher settings. This doesn't happen. You are left with one inescapable conclusion. The pillars must be raising the position at which the doors close.

Oh, and one more piece of evidence, as I am lacking a micrometer for actually measuring door height:

The adjustables have a spring as part of the door closing mechanism.
No other gillettes have them, or need them.
Why?
To allow the doors to close at different heights.

Nick, I am sorry, but I think if you perform this procedure, I believe you may see it differently.

On a Standard FatBoy set at position #1, while holding the handle press up on the adjusting plate on the bottom of the head several times. You will see the adjusting plate and doors move as one up and down relative to the safety bar. This mimics the action of adjusting the razor.

Nick, I am sorry, but I think if you perform this procedure, I believe you may see it differently.

On a Standard FatBoy set at position #1, while holding the handle press up on the adjusting plate on the bottom of the head several times. You will see the adjusting plate and doors move as one up and down relative to the safety bar. This mimics the action of adjusting the razor.

I see what you are saying. That at the higher setting the doors push down on the adjustor plate, causing increased tension in the spring mechanism in the handle. I think this also answers Amish's question

Amish, this is also why the Toggle doesn't have the spring in the knob/handle. It doesn't need one. The doors remain a fixed height, and the safety bar moves instead. In the serial # toggle, I believe there may be a spring in the handle near the dial. But I don't think anyone has taken one apart to find out

Top Bottom