What's new

Calling all Rex users past and present.

Interesting threat. I too am interested in the Rex and prefer mild razors. On the aggressiveness range, ideal for me is Gillette Tech to ever so slightly more aggressive. Sounds like the Rez can be tamed down to that range?
If the Rex can't be tuned down to replicate a Gillette Tech, it's not much of an adjustable razor.

But I strongly suspect it can.

I had one and sold it. I thought it shaved well, but I didn’t like the way it covered the blade tabs. It made it feel a little bulky and it was hard to load and unload the blade. I would have kept it if the blade tabs were exposed.

It's too bad the passaround isn t active. I was earlier in the list a and if I had the disposable income I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It's very smooth, al most no blade feel, a wide adjustment range and a great weight.

It's too bad the passaround isn t active. I was earlier in the list a and if I had the disposable income I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It's very smooth, al most no blade feel, a wide adjustment range and a great weight.

The pass around is active. Also, the Rex absolutely has blade feel. I don’t think that is debatable or subjective. More than average, in my opinion.

Last edited:
The Rex Ambassador is my best razor. My beard grows pretty parallel to the skin so most razors are not enough for me. I always need to shave against the grain to get a close shave. The Rex on setting 3 on a wtg, xtg and atg gives me the closest, most comfortable shaves. No irritation or weepers. You will read about a drag that this razor has, well the razor has blade feel and what I asume is positive blade exposure, so a blade shaving your face at skin level is going to cause drag. I feel the drag and I remember to use less pressure and the drag disappears. I hear the same thing about the blackbird, blade + pressure + skin = drag.

The Rex is an astounding razor but most reviews are more about comparing it to other razors for a few shaves and always falls short. But after owning one for about a year and using it for months at a time. I say its a masterpiece, it’s heavy, the knurl is amazingly grippy, and I like the industrial look that it has, etc.

The Rex Ambassador is my best razor. My beard grows pretty parallel to the skin so most razors are not enough for me. I always need to shave against the grain to get a close shave. The Rex on setting 3 on a wtg, xtg and atg gives me the closest, most comfortable shaves. No irritation or weepers. You will read about a drag that this razor has, well the razor has blade feel and what I asume is positive blade exposure, so a blade shaving your face at skin level is going to cause drag. I feel the drag and I remember to use less pressure and the drag disappears. I hear the same thing about the blackbird, blade + pressure + skin = drag.

The Rex is an astounding razor but most reviews are more about comparing it to other razors for a few shaves and always falls short. But after owning one for about a year and using it for months at a time. I say its a masterpiece, it’s heavy, the knurl is amazingly grippy, and I like the industrial look that it has, etc.

Even though I’m still kind of on the fence after 6 shaves, I can’t argue with the awesome look and amazing knurling. It’s absolutely beautiful. Feels great in the hand.

Great razor, but I think it is a bit overpriced. I prefer my Gibbs as I think it is much smoother. It is in my top 5 as far as efficiency, but it has been sitting in my umbrella holder in my car door for a few months as a backup.

As with some others posting here, I found the Rex well-made but with too much blade feel for my taste, and daily shaving of my relatively light beard. I could do OK with it on 3.0 - 3.5 or so, but definitely no more than that. If I only shaved once a week I suspect this and many other razors highly praised here would work better for me.

I have been shaving each morning this week but one (Slim) with my Rex and a Polsilver blade. This morning was the sixth use of the blade and I have it dialed in at 2. A great shave again today, definitely YMMV applies. I thought with an adjustable most could find a blade and setting combo that would work.

Top Bottom