What's new

Calling all Handy Men & Women--Broken Gillette Tech!!

I apologize for the graphic pictures....If you are of a sensitive disposition then look away.

The story:
Its a saturday morning, I wake up ready for a brand new day. I put on my bear like dressing gown ( really thick and brown) and stroll to the bathroom. I conduct my gentlemanly business:redface: and get ready for a mediocre shave ( have never really got a great shave with the tech no matter what blade...my hair is like wire wool).
I turn on the hot water and prepare some super smooth hot lather. After whipping up and applying the lather I grab my tech ready to shave when :eek: it slips out of my hands...I panic......the first thing I think of is MY FEET....please dont cut me!!:blushing:
Phew.....my feet are ok........I crouch down to get my razor when I notice that the razor seems a little loose up top. I wiggle the top when....CLUNK!!!......THE TOP FALLS OFF AND HITS THE FLOOR.

'WHAT THE F#*&$^!!" .......I say to myself quietly............I look at my razor ....then I look up at the razor gods.......Why?? WHY??

Are they trying to tell me to get a new razor? HD, Progress, etc.
Why this way...true I never got great shaves with it.......but I liked the lightness and small build of it.
So, alas I continued shaving with my only other razor..a superspeed and carried on with my business....

Now, the actual pictures:

proxy.php

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=06032008083js0.jpg

proxy.php

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=06032008087ns3.jpg

proxy.php

http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=06032008091sv0.jpg

Now, any handy person who thinks they can fix the razor is welcome to fix and keep the razor either for themself or to pass on to someone else ( if fixable). Just pm me with your details and I'll send it on....though I am based in the uk.....I will be willing to post this to europe, states, etc.

So thank you for reading.........and see ya.

i see alot of work there, you have to trill the handle to get the screw out, you have to solder on a new screw piece and use a dremel to make a new screw rail, i think its too much work for the old lady to handle, let her rest in peace.

on the other hand, with a thin drill piece, you make a small hole, then use a metal which has a nice thermal expansion to have it grab to the screw bit, and use it to pull it out,
that way you can save the handle, then its just a matter of soldering back on the screw piece to the head, but dont expect it to last long,

Lets see...drill and re-tap the handle and spot weld a new stud on the head. Probably take 10 minutes or so. Our machine shop has a 1 hour minimum labor charge at $65. Might as well just machine you a new razor out of stainless! :wink:

the handle is certainly salvageable, but the top really isn't, unless someone is really good, but solder isn't going to hold very long on that part, neither is glue, so that may be a lost cause, but, surely the handle could be fitted on something else

I feel your pain.

It looks salvageable if there's some sentimental attachment to that particular razor. Otherwise, IMHO, not worth the time and effort since they can be gotten inexpensively on ebay as others have noted.

Lets see...drill and re-tap the handle and spot weld a new stud on the head. Probably take 10 minutes or so. Our machine shop has a 1 hour minimum labor charge at $65. Might as well just machine you a new razor out of stainless! :wink:

Or buy a replacement Tech still in its box for $10 ...

I did the same thing with a British Aristocrat,now the silo doors won't open or close.Nice piece of scrap metal.:cursing::cursing:

So nobody wants this?.....I'm willing to ship this to whoever wants it free of charge....if you need a replacement part or something.
Anyways that being said..............

Maybe that was God's way of telling you to get a red-tip SS, a Merkur HD, or a FatBoy. All more aggressive shavers than the mild-mannered Tech.

Does anyone have any of the above razors that they would like to part ways with and ships to the uk? Just let me know the price.......cheers
Amann

Sad story :( i know this is an old thread. All my emphaty for you man. I quess it was zamak top? 🤔

For this thread, have someone destryed an brass razor? What you guys think, if an full brass tech could fall to the ground, could that go broken?

Top Bottom