What's new

Calling all Electric Shaver Users!

Let’s gather in this thread to discuss all things Electric Shavers.

Suggested topics

What kind of shaver or shavers do you use?
Do you use your shaver regularly?
How many kinds of shavers have you had?
Or, anything else.

As discussed in the SOTD thread, I'm pretty much an electric shave rookie, using a Braun Series 3 (340) model for the last week. As time goes on, I'm appreciating it more, though it is still early.

The only other electric shaver that I've personally owned was an early 1990's model Remington Microscreen, probably the same model that Victor Kiam used to show in his commercials. I never particularly like shaving with it as it seemed to leave behind a lot of stubble on my jawline and neck. It didn't supplant the cartridge razors that I was using at the time. I ultimately gave it to my father, who was unable to wet shave any longer due to various infirmities that he suffered from. He immediately raved about it each time I saw him. I'm not sure whether it was the quality of shave or the fact that it enabled him to shave on his own (or both) that lead to his excitement. Regardless of the reason, his happiness was what mattered to me.

Later on after he passed away, I got the shaver back, cleaned it up and gave it to a teenage nephew to use. I'm not sure what happened to it afterwards, but I did hear that he got a decent amount of use out of it.

As discussed in the SOTD thread, I'm pretty much an electric shave rookie, using a Braun Series 3 (340) model for the last week. As time goes on, I'm appreciating it more, though it is still early.

The only other electric shaver that I've personally owned was an early 1990's model Remington Microscreen, probably the same model that Victor Kiam used to show in his commercials. I never particularly like shaving with it as it seemed to leave behind a lot of stubble on my jawline and neck. It didn't supplant the cartridge razors that I was using at the time. I ultimately gave it to my father, who was unable to wet shave any longer due to various infirmities that he suffered from. He immediately raved about it each time I saw him. I'm not sure whether it was the quality of shave or the fact that it enabled him to shave on his own (or both) that lead to his excitement. Regardless of the reason, his happiness was what mattered to me.

Later on after he passed away, I got the shaver back, cleaned it up and gave it to a teenage nephew to use. I'm not sure what happened to it afterwards, but I did hear that he got a decent amount of use out of it.
Thanks for replying. I assume that Remington was corded. There were battery powered small travel shavers available in the late 1950s but they were not very popular because the battery technology was still primitive. I remember Victor Kiam in those TV commercials claiming he liked the shaver so much he bought the company. Glad to hear that both your father and your nephew got good usage out of it. I’m not sure that Remington shaver parts are still available for those vintage shavers.

Hopefully, this can become the thread where those of us that either use or want to try an electric shaver can share information and experiences.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. I assume that Remington was corded. There were battery powered small travel shavers available in the late 1950s but they were not very popular because the battery technology was still primitive. I remember Victor Kiam in those TV commercials claiming he liked the shaver so much he bought the company. Glad to hear that both your father and your nephew got good usage out of it. I’m not sure that Remington shaver parts are still available for those vintage shavers.

Hopefully, this can become the thread where those of us that either use or want to try an electric shaver can share information and experiences.
Yes, it was a corded model. From Googling, I'm pretty sure it was an XLR-800.

Another smooth irritation free shave with my Braun Series-7.

Clayton
proxy.php

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Clayton
proxy.php

I thought that I was getting a close shave with my old Panasonic shaver, but like you I get an amazingly close and comfortable shave from my Braun Series 7. How long have you been using it? The series 7 has been around for a couple of years.

Last edited:

Clayton
proxy.php

I find it interesting that Braun would make two versions of the same shaver. You have the black handle and mine is silver.

I find it interesting that Braun would make two versions of the same shaver. You have the black handle and mine is silver.
Mine is a 740 wet/dry model. It's the same shaver basically, and it can still be cleaned in the charging unit.

Clayton

How many shaves do you get between battery charges? I get at least 17.
I get about 6 full shaves (head and face) from my Braun Series 3. Then again, it went almost a decade without being used, so it's a miracle that the NiMH battery has any life left at all!

I get about 6 full shaves (head and face) from my Braun Series 3. Then again, it went almost a decade without being used, so it's a miracle that the NiMH battery has any life left at all!
I’m amazed it even holds a charge after just sitting around in a drawer.

I had a comfortable, and smooth face, and head shave, this evening with my Braun Series-9. I haven't used a Braun Shaver that I didn't like. They all shave me well.

Clayton
proxy.php

I thought that I was getting a close shave with my old Panasonic shaver, but like you I get an amazingly close and comfortable shave from my Braun Series 7. How long have you been using it? The series 7 has been around for a couple of years.
Since November of 2015. It's a great shaver.

Clayton

My first electric razor was a Sunbeam in 1969.. Pretty nice but I then tried a Braun and many Remington's all these were corded. I prefer the foil screen to the Norelco rotary heads. I only had one Norelco and I let it sit for about 5 years and it killed the battery.
My current 2 favorites are my Braun model 4775 and my Remington Titanium 300 both cordless. I use the pre-shave powder stick.
Here they are, first up the Braun then the Remington.

Braun M_4775.JPG
Remington 300.JPG

I recently returned to DE & straight razor shaving, but there's a Norelco sitting at the edge of the sink for emergency use. Norelco AT815 is an economy model with the cheaper HQ8, single row cutter blades. I replaced them with the HQ9 double row cutter blades, found on the pricier Norelcos.

It still gets at least 2 weeks' worth of shaves between charges, and, especially with wet shaving with foam, gives an impressively smooth shave with the blade set upgrade.

I don't use my electric since I took up shaving as a hobby about 8 years ago. I found all electric razors do a bad job on neck hairs.

My first electric razor was a Sunbeam in 1969.. Pretty nice but I then tried a Braun and many Remington's all these were corded. I prefer the foil screen to the Norelco rotary heads. I only had one Norelco and I let it sit for about 5 years and it killed the battery.
My current 2 favorites are my Braun model 4775 and my Remington Titanium 300 both cordless. I use the pre-shave powder stick.
Here they are, first up the Braun then the Remington.

View attachment 1005374 View attachment 1005375
I had a Remington foil shaver about five or six years ago and couldn’t keep either the foils nor the cutters to last more than a few weeks. The foils would develop holes and the cutters would corrode. II shaved dry but rinsed the shaver daily. After replacing a few cutters and screens, I chucked it in the trash and bought the Panasonic. Hopefully Remington has improved their product.

About 20 years ago I bought a Panasonic foil. It did a great job. Problem is, the battery lasted only a couple of years, so I bought another one - fantastic shave, but only a couple of years on the battery. My last Panasonic is now at least 8 years old. The battery still charges like new, but the shave is pretty mediocre.

I had a Remington foil shaver about five or six years ago and couldn’t keep either the foils nor the cutters to last more than a few weeks. The foils would develop holes and the cutters would corrode. II shaved dry but rinsed the shaver daily. After replacing a few cutters and screens, I chucked it in the trash and bought the Panasonic. Hopefully Remington has improved their product.
They haven't. My first foil razor was a cheap corded Remington. It shaved ok but it ate foils fast.

Clayton

Top Bottom