What's new

Calling all cartridge users - what system are you using?

When i use a cartridge razor,on the days i have to guarantee no nick's or cuts,i use a Wilkinson Sword Performer,which is called a Schick Tracer in the USA,i can get a pack of 10 cartidges for 99p,it's a two blade cartridge and gives a damn good shave to be honest.

Dave.

Does anyone still use the old style cartridge razors? I thought it was a lost art?:lol:

Let's face it. After one has bought 20 or so soaps, 20 or so creams, 10 or so DE razors, and several lifetime's supply of DE blades, then the only way to get some real variety in ones shaving is to explore the dark world of cartridge shaving, and perhaps - if one has the constitution for it - the even darker world of disposable razor shaving.
Regards,
Renato

I really like the Gillette Vector(Atra)I ordered awhile ago.I tried the Mach 3,Mach 3 Turbo,and Fusion and found 2 blades work the best with less irritation and less tugging.

I use a Bump Fighter handle which is compatible with TracII cartridges. The handle was inexpensive but very good quality and I like the thicker razors of the TracII. I just got this set-up a few weeks ago and it has replaced my well-used but hated Mach3.

For what it's worth, I prefer single edge razors that have a thick blades as opposed to thin DE blades. My cartridge set-up is ideal when time is a factor and the closeness of the shave is decent enough.

As much as I like a good DE shave, I use disposables about twice a week. Mornings that I didn't shave the night before and didn't get up early enough to DE shave, I shave in the shower with disposables. I've got the 4-blade (Quattro I think) and 5-blade (the original Fusion) cart system handles buried in a drawer somewhere because I never really bonded with them...even when I was using them all the time. Plus it just made me mad every time I had to shell out 30 bones for a new pack of blades.

I use the cheap 2-blade Gillette disposables to cut everything in (I model my chin after Maynard G Krebbs) and then use the Schick 3-blade disposable to shave my neck and open areas on my face. I shave the wide open areas with the 3-blader because it seems to do a better job, but I have trouble getting my chin even when I use it.

Traveling today so it's a tracII with a bump fighter handle.

It does a great job as long as my lather is ok.

I gotta admit i get much betrer shaves with my mach 3 disposables, fusion, or schick quatro's than my DE. I still create my own lather with a small mix of prosaso soap and Nivea shave cream... Coupled with either gillette preshave gel or noxema and i get great shaves... The DE just feels like it rips my face so much more than the above razors and blades.

Trac 2, Atra, Sensor are all nice systems.

WalMart sells Wilkinson sword cartridges that work with trac 2 or Atra and they only cost $3.50 for a 10-pack. They are every bit as good as Gillette carts.

No need to use disposables. You can use carts without wasting so much plastic by using one of the systems I just mentioned.

+1

My preferance for a cartridge razor is the Trac II. I have around 100 blades on hand (personna, and wilkinson sword). It gives me a great shave, with not a lot of fuss. It get's used about twice a week.

When I travel, Gillette Custom Plus with twin blades and swivel head. It is a disposable, so the blade stays sharp for 1-3 shaves, then toss.

I'm up to my over 20th or so shave with my Gillette Fusion (not Pro-glide) cartridge and it is still working very sharply. I use the Razorpit gadget after each use, and it seems to be extending the cartridge life fine. Though I mainly use DE with good creams, today I used my old Fusion cartridge with Schick Hydro gel, and got an excellent, close, one pass shave with zero alum stings.
Regards,
Renato

This seemed to be the thread for it, so I was just about to ask if anyone else used the RazorPit. When I first started expanding my shaving horizons this was the first thing I purchased. I easily got three months out of one cartridge. I might have been able to get more, but I got freaked out at the thought of what might be living on those blades. I definitely saved a fortune with that thing.

Mach 3 when travelling light with only carry-on luggage.

I was able to get my safety razor, sans blades, through TSA security. I think I might have been able to get the blades as well. Now that TSA is allowing small knives on-board, next time I travel to CONUS I might try it.

I've seen "private label" systems at some stores I've been in, though never tried. I wanna say Meijer has their own brand of I'm guessing OEM'd cartridge systems. 5 blades w/ lube strips, etc.. I've never tried them, but they are definitely cheaper than the main brands. I wasn't able to find mention on their website, but when perusing their shaving aisle (it's fun sometimes ;> plus I often run into a soap or two) I'm sure I noticed a couple.

They're probably cheap enough to try. The cartridges might even already be compatible with a handle (though the handle's usually the cheapest part) you already have.

I have a Col Conk Trac II handle with the Wal-Mart Wilkie carts. Work great in both my headblade and for days I don't have enough time or am traveling.

...I was able to get my safety razor, sans blades, through TSA security. I think I might have been able to get the blades as well. Now that TSA is allowing small knives on-board, next time I travel to CONUS I might try it.

Matt, I wouldn't if I were you (unless it's in a checked bag). Razor blades are still specifically prohibited items for carry-ons, despite the changes allowing small knives. Never annoy anyone with a firearm--they have the capacity to make your life VERY difficult!

About two weeks ago I purchased an Edwin Jagger Bulbous Lined Razor Handle for my Mach 3 cartridges.
This has made for quite a different experience with the Mach 3 cartridges. They seem to be smoother cutting with less feedback.
It just seems to glide over my face similar to my DE.
I think it is do to the added weight of the handle, which is about the same as my Muhle R89.
It looks great too!
Definitely worth the $$.

For travelling overnight and in my locker at work I use a Persona Triflex three blade system. It's actually sold by Tesco in the UK and its branded as one of their own, but google cleared up the manufacturer. In the circumstances described I use it with Gillette gel in a small travel can. Works very well.

I actually had a little bit of a thing going a while back where I tried to identify the makers of the main supermarket own brand systems, and persona seems to be the main player, in the UK anyway.

The sadder part is then trying to find the cheapest supply of an own brand cart if there are two people selling the same product as there own - eg the Tesco matrix 3 blade is more expensive than the same Razor system, different name, in Aldi...

sad, moi !!!!

Top Bottom