What's new

Californian/US freeway lines

Eyoop lads, hope everything's well with you.

So I'm here in California visiting my girlfriend, and when we were on the freeway the other day I noticed these small parallel lines or grooves running in the direction of the traffic flow. They only seem to be present on what appears to be concrete, let me stress: these are NOT lane markings. Also they can't be for drainage as they don't lead to drains

I was wondering what these grooves are for, if they only exist in CA and why they use concrete for freeways here, not asphalt like in britain?

Thanks lads,

Dave

Those small grooves are there to evacuate water. When it rains concrete can become quite slipery. These grooves are there to help get rid of the standing water that may accumulate during a rain storm. They dont help so much with drainage as they just help provide a better contact patch for the vehicles tires in wet conditions.

I was wondering what these grooves are for, if they only exist in CA and why they use concrete for freeways here, not asphalt like in britain?
Concrete lasts longer and will take more abuse.

Grooving is not only done on roadways, but on bridges and some airport runways. It provides an increase in traction in wet weather.

Last edited:
huh, I've never seen this OR concrete roads here in Canada. The grooves in particular sound like a good idea. As for the concrete, if it helps with pot holes I'm all for it!

California roads get more slick than normal with rain because it doesn't rain that often. The oils build up on the road and can be very slick when mixed with water.

They also cause problems for motorcycles, they tend to cause the tire to follow the "squiggles".

As far as crossing the streets, when I was in the UK, I waited for the German tourists to start. If they didn't die, I tried to catch up.

Asphalt gets kind of soft in CA heat, as well.

Concrete or no, CA road quality sucks. Worst in the USA. I-80 went 30 years with virtually no maintenance.

In Texas, the most back-country farm road is smooth as glass.

Around here you'll see grooves running perpendicular to traffic right along the outside lane markers on interstate highways. If you drift out of your lane into the shoulder they make quite a racket. From what I understand they are to help make sure people stay in their lane and don't drift off the highway.

Asphalt gets kind of soft in CA heat, as well.

Concrete or no, CA road quality sucks. Worst in the USA. I-80 went 30 years with virtually no maintenance.

In Texas, the most back-country farm road is smooth as glass.

Apparently someone's never been to Michigan. Our roads are are far worse than anything I've seen in California.

Our roads may be crappy... but we have the hottest women here in So. Cal!

Ha! I beg to differ. Texas and Florida are full of hotties. Where I live we have pretty smooth roads, for the most part. There are spots with hellacious dips, though. Potholes, not so much. Only where there's asphalt...

It can be hell on most British roads as we have speed humps all over the place, with potholes you can lose your wheels in in between them!

Plays havoc with the steering geometry on the car and I often end up with bald edges on the tyres causing premature replacement if I don't get the tracking checked every six months.

Gareth

Apparently someone's never been to Michigan. Our roads are are far worse than anything I've seen in California.

Yes, I think that it's more likely that a road that goes through freezing cycles is going to tend to be worse than one that doesn't, all other things being equal. I lived in Connecticut for around 8 years and on the whole the roads there were worse than here in the Bay Area.

Yes, I think that it's more likely that a road that goes through freezing cycles is going to tend to be worse than one that doesn't, all other things being equal. I lived in Connecticut for around 8 years and on the whole the roads there were worse than here in the Bay Area.

Definitely, nothing helps potholes form better and quicker than ice and frozen earth.

Top Bottom