What's new

Calico beard - what to do?

My mixed heritage is wildly apparent in my beard. I keep it relatively short - 1/2" to 1" at the very longest. I've got mostly brown beard hair, but a good amount of red, blonde and even some black here and there. If I were to let it grow in and keep it long, I imagine it would look rather reddish brown, but I don't like getting things caught in my hair and looking like a fool when it is time to eat chicken wings or spaghetti.

I've got a spot on each cheek that looks like I can't grow hair there. However, I do grow hair, just finer blonde hair. Same story in the middle of my mustache. Upon recommendation of someone on another site, I've been scrubbing my face with a fairly coarse boar body brush and the hair in the patchy looking areas is getting a little darker. Better circulation is what I was told.

Anyway, is there anything else I can do to try and get things a more even color without having to dye it? Or am I doomed to look like a cat? Maybe some sort of supplement? Or another routine like scrubbing?

Sadly, I'm pretty positive nothing short the dyeing will really make much difference at this point. That, or waiting till it all goes grey/white. lol

Lol I'm hoping the grey holds off for a while! At least another 20 years. Guess I'll just deal with it. I don't think I could live with myself knowing I dye my hair, whether beard or otherwise. I'll embrace the grey when it comes, but I do hope it doesn't show up for a while.

I hear ya. If there were ways outside of dyeing to affect hair color, they would have been discovered centuries ago and women today would pay to have them done. lol

You obviously don't like it, but I think that sounds awesome, and I'm kind of jealous I don't have a calico beard. I too have a reddish brown mix of red, brown, black, and blonde hairs, but they're fairly uniformly scattered. I get lots of compliments on the color of my beard. Although the whites and grays are creeping in more and more now...

I guess I probably described it a bit extreme. I don't literally look like a calico cat, just have multicolor hair on the entirety of my beard, with a couple patches that are primarily one color. Not quite as extreme as I guess I made it sound. As for compliments, my brother's girlfriend has made a mention of it, and my grandmother has said it reminds her of my father and her uncle, who they called "Red" a Scot with fiery red hair and beard. I don't think I'll mind when the grey comes calling, but I do hope it waits for a while. Nobody wants to be grey in their 20s!

My buddy has a calico beard and when he grew it out for November, he looked like a Saint Bernard. It was awesome, but he had never grown it out before because he didn't like it. Grass, greener....

I have a calico beard also and had a full beard for the past 2 years until recently. How mine was is my mustache is a light golden brown, my cheeks were brown/red, goatee dark brown and under my chin/neck was dark brown/black. After it gets some length *2" plus* it all seems to kind of meld together. I actually got compliments on it all the time. Also keeping beard oil in slightly darkened the lighter hair and made it more uniform looking. I miss my beard, but it is a hassle to eat/drink and having to deal with bad beard days is horrible lol.

But please don't dye it... lol just embrace your beard. Mine was pretty cool in the sunlight which gave it a fiery red appearance but otherwise looked brown/black. Also I don't know if your bear grows straight or wavy/curly but mine was very wavy, which blended in the thinner spots nicely so if your hair is the same it will look better the more length you have. I kept my beard at a well trimmed 7-8" and it was very nice looking!

I don't generally let mine get longer than an inch, so I have no idea what it would look like at 8". I've always got a little grossed out with long beards because they tend to be a catch all for food and what not.

I won't be dying it. I'll just be dealing with it. Maybe I'll see if I can let it get to 2 or 3 inches. My hair is sort of wavy and straight. Some wavy, some straight. The longer it gets, the more wiry it tends to look, so I try and keep it shorter. I haven't got into the oils and waxes and such. Just a comb.

Don't dye it. Just own the beard! Frankly, I'd grow it out for a few months if you haven't tried it. It might look awesome.

I used to have black hair on my head and a lot of that red-brown in my beard. Of course I never grew the beard out for more than a few days since I was on active duty. After retiring I realized all that red-brown in my beard is gray now. So enjoy it while you've got it!

Apparently my life laughed when I made that grey in 20 years statement. Found a completely grey hair on my chin this evening. Not blonde, but pure silver. It has just barely been 3 months since I said that too. So at this rate, maybe I'll be a silver fox by the ripe age of 30.

Apparently my life laughed when I made that grey in 20 years statement. Found a completely grey hair on my chin this evening. Not blonde, but pure silver. It has just barely been 3 months since I said that too. So at this rate, maybe I'll be a silver fox by the ripe age of 30.
Started going white at 25! Mostly a white beard by 40.
Now people ask me if I'm rich to have such a young wife. She's only four years younger.
Had a Doctor ask "why do you bring your daughter with on your appointments." She's not my daughter this is my wife, and no I do not have dementia.

You're well on your way to my life!

Top Bottom