What's new

Caldo must be Italian for "garbage"

I picked up some of this Caldo shaving cream from Target (it's in the spa section next to the Proraso) thinking that it must be some high end Italian shaving cream I'd never heard of. Turns out, it's basically Target brand. Anyway, it smells like Drakkar Noir, comes in a nice tub, and has a nice consistency to it, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. It's a no go. I simply couldn't get it to lather, no matter how much I agitated the brush. I tried more water, less water, and everything else. Nothing. Finally I tried rubbing it dirrectly on my face with my fingers like you would with Edge. Nothing. No lather at all.

Seriously folks, don't waste your money on this crap.

I guess I'll use it as a shampoo on my German Shepherds when they get stinky from running around the yard.

It actually is a brushless cream. Richard from Texas (Couche_Y_Bondu) from SMF used it this past week and really liked it as a brushless.

I tried rubbing it on my face without a brush and couldn't get any lather either. I can't imagine shaving with it at the consistency at which it comes from the tub.

U can't give a real review if u don't try the product ; just because it doesn't lather doesn't mean it's a bad shave cream

Heh, I was looking "caldo" up on babelfish, and lo and behold, it actually means "warmth". Maybe it really translates to steaming? :9898:

RueTheDay said:
I tried rubbing it on my face without a brush and couldn't get any lather either. I can't imagine shaving with it at the consistency at which it comes from the tub.

Not all brushless creams lather.

I don't know about Caldo specifically, but the brushless creams I have tried never really lathered (e.g., Jack Black, Neutrogena).

Cheers,

Hello Ruetheday,

I shaved with Caldo twice last week. The second time to finish up my third and T&C passes, because I just couldn't finish the shave with Molle.

It is an Italian cream and it definitely is a brushless. True, there are some brushless formulations that will work with a brush, so naturally, we try to. I tried Caldo with a brush as an experiment. Sure enough, no lather.

It excels as a brushless and it will not lather. It is very slick, though.

Gels and foams will lather when applied by hand; true brushless creams will not.

I just massage Caldo into my beard. With a brushless, it is important to do this rather than just wipe it on. The massaging action emulates your brush; not as luxurious, but it gets the job done. And I get excellent shaves with Caldo every time with a DE, an injector or Artist Club str8.

I like Caldo. Maybe a tad expensive for a brushless.

Don't throw it away, Ruetheday. It really is a good high-end brushless cream.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

Caldo means hot. Think "scalding" hot as a mnemonic. I'm in Italy at the moment, and I haven't seen it in any shops here, so I was wondering if it is, in fact, Italian. I don't think it is. According to an announcement on the Target website, it is "designed in the Italian tradition of impeccible quality and taste." Those words seem to me to be intended to give one the imprssion that the product is Italian when, in fact, it is not. Here's a link to the press release: http://pressroom.target.com/pr/news/health-beauty/bath-and-body/target-caldo.aspx

Coche_y_bondhu said:
Hello Ruetheday,

I shaved with Caldo twice last week. The second time to finish up my third and T&C passes, because I just couldn't finish the shave with Molle.

It is an Italian cream and it definitely is a brushless. True, there are some brushless formulations that will work with a brush, so naturally, we try to. I tried Caldo with a brush as an experiment. Sure enough, no lather.

It excels as a brushless and it will not lather. It is very slick, though.

Gels and foams will lather when applied by hand; true brushless creams will not.

I just massage Caldo into my beard. With a brushless, it is important to do this rather than just wipe it on. The massaging action emulates your brush; not as luxurious, but it gets the job done. And I get excellent shaves with Caldo every time with a DE, an injector or Artist Club str8.

I like Caldo. Maybe a tad expensive for a brushless.

Don't throw it away, Ruetheday. It really is a good high-end brushless cream.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

I'll give it a shot, but the stuff just feels so slimy I don't see how it can work.

peacefrog said:
Caldo means hot. Think "scalding" hot as a mnemonic. I'm in Italy at the moment, and I haven't seen it in any shops here, so I was wondering if it is, in fact, Italian. I don't think it is. According to an announcement on the Target website, it is "designed in the Italian tradition of impeccible quality and taste." Those words seem to me to be intended to give one the imprssion that the product is Italian when, in fact, it is not. Here's a link to the press release: http://pressroom.target.com/pr/news/health-beauty/bath-and-body/target-caldo.aspx

The bottom of the box says:

Distributed by Target Corporation
Minneapolis, MN 55403
Made in Italy
©2006 Target Brands, Inc.

I'm sure Target did the bare minimum to get to be able to use the "Made in Italy" line (maybe they have someone in Italy screw the tops on or something), but it is definitely Target Brand shaving cream.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the ingredients list is a mile long and looks like what you would expect from a modern "goo in a can" product.

Austin said:
Not all brushless creams lather.

I sometimes use Nancy Boy as a brushless and while it does not lather, it gives me tons of protection and a shave closeness that is akin to some hard shave soaps I have tried. :)

Austin said:
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

At least it's not menudo.
Hey, hey! Watch it! Menudo, the breakfast of champions! You're messing with the 1971 Leukenbach Menudo Eating Championship first runner up! And don't ever forget, Menudo eaters make better lovers!!!:cursing:

guenron said:
Hey, hey! Watch it! Menudo, the breakfast of champions! You're messing with the 1971 Leukenbach Menudo Eating Championship first runner up! And don't ever forget, Menudo eaters make better lovers!!!:cursing:
Menudo...helping people with hangovers for many years...the real reason most restaurants only serve it on the weekends.

guenron said:

Ron, I thought you were a fan of the adolescent group Menudo. :biggrin:

Man, my friend's mom makes me menudo to die for. A couple of shots of tequila, a fresh cut piece of sugar cane and you're good to go. :biggrin:

Austin said:
Ron, I thought you were a fan of the adolescent group Menudo. :biggrin:

Reminds me of my DJ days when I would have to play The New Edition...always proceded with "America's Answer to Menudo"...

Randy

Top Bottom