What's new

Calabash pipe

Here are my two, both real gourds, one with a removable bowl and one with a fixed bowl and metal rim, best smoking pipes I own hands down...
$P1030748.jpg$P1040871_2.jpg

I saw this unusual one the other day, it has a fixed bowl with a meer-lined wind cap which was made of gourd as well, first one I had ever seen like it...
$$T2eC16Z,!y0E9s2S8jQnBQTRFzqsp!~~60_57.jpg$$(KGrHqZ,!owF!F0PPH!IBQTRFetFjg~~60_57.jpg$$(KGrHqV,!n0F!J4fjnW1BQTRFI8O8w~~60_57.jpg

Looks like that is oak, cherrywood or maple, not an actual gourd either - but, will probably deliver a very cool smoke!! and yeah def don't recommend clenching it LOL

are you sure it's marble and not porcelain or ceramic? marble would be valued more than the pipe I'd imagine.

let us know how ti smokes

and I vote GLP!

You're absolutely right, it is NOT gourd; unfortunately, it is Mahogany and the bowl itself is marble; according to the seller, but hey its made in China so who knows.

I smoked the pipe tonight with a bowl of GL Pease Westminster and the pipe really refined the smoke and make it even more flavorful and enjoyable.
$DSCN0795.jpg$DSCN0796.jpg
Here is a before and after shot of the bowl when I was done smoking it. It wipes really clean, it looks like I hardly smoked anything at all! I really love this pipe and the marble didn't get really hot either, this pipe is aAWESOME!!

right on!!!! yeah I was sure it wasn't a gourd. mohogany, very nice!!

and all that matters really is how YOU like its' smoking characteristics :)

congrats!!!! and def good call on the Westminster by GLP.

TCG that pipe is interesting, how much space is there between the bottom of the cup and the bottom of the hollowed out portion of the pipe? It's also interesting to be that the draft hole is offset from the hole in the cup, but I guess that is the easiest way to do it. I've never seen the inside of a wood calabash shaped pipe, but I assumed they was drilled into a funnel shape to at least recreate the chamber effect of a gourd.

Here is a link to some unconventional shapes that are not calabash pipes, but have a chamber that collects and cools the smoke like a calabash. http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2011/3/1/the-calabash-effect.html

Hey, there is about 1/2" of space between the bottom of the cup and the floor of the chamber.

It smokes pretty cool and is very comfortable to hold in that the pipe doesn't get hot!

I may take the pipe to a specialized wood worker and see if they can't reem it out a little deeper for me, perhaps down to perhaps 2" max; it presently has a depth of about 1 5/8". I don't know, maybe I should just leave it alone, it smokes nice and has I might mess it up if I get it reemed a little deeper.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You're absolutely right, it is NOT gourd; unfortunately, it is Mahogany and the bowl itself is marble; according to the seller, but hey its made in China so who knows.

I smoked the pipe tonight with a bowl of GL Pease Westminster and the pipe really refined the smoke and make it even more flavorful and enjoyable.
View attachment 272325View attachment 272326
Here is a before and after shot of the bowl when I was done smoking it. It wipes really clean, it looks like I hardly smoked anything at all! I really love this pipe and the marble didn't get really hot either, this pipe is aAWESOME!!
Hey CG, I think cigars when I think of you. Welcome to the pipe world.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
LOL!! Yeah, I actually started with a pipe years ago and some how got into cigars. They are nice and all but I have learned that I much prefer my pipes instead.
I like both, but can afford pipes easier. I have a Cuban, Bolivar I think, waiting for me to light up. A coworker gave it to me. I had one a few weeks ago, and it was quite enjoyable.

I like both, but can afford pipes easier. I have a Cuban, Bolivar I think, waiting for me to light up. A coworker gave it to me. I had one a few weeks ago, and it was quite enjoyable.

That sounds pretty good, I had a Cuban La Gloria Cubana one time and even a Cuban H Upmann, they are pretty good cigars, It will be nice if the U.S. ever lifts the embargo on Cuba so we can get the Cuban cigars again; its been ages though!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That sounds pretty good, I had a Cuban La Gloria Cubana one time and even a Cuban H Upmann, they are pretty good cigars, It will be nice if the U.S. ever lifts the embargo on Cuba so we can get the Cuban cigars again; its been ages though!
It is crazy. ChiComs killed US soldiers in Korea. Vietnamese communists killed soldiers in Vietnam Nam. Cuban communists killed none. We have trade relations with the first two sets of communists.

Just an update on the mahogany calabash pipe I bought
$DSCN0917.jpg
The pipe is wonderful!

It really refines and mellows the smoke making a wonderful blend much more enjoyable. The bowl gets warm but not hot and it wipes clean every time, aside from smelling the bowl you wouldn't know that this pipe was smoked 4-times.

I bought two; one for English blends and one for aromatics, but my evil twin brother stole my second one to use with his VaPer's. Now that I've had time to cool off; about my twin stealing my 2nd calabash pipe, I don't know if I would smoke the occasional aromatic in a calabash or simply enjoy them in my briars and cobs.

The pipe has a couple of very minor problems like a very small leak in the stem that can be easily fixed by gluing the stem to the tenon like I've done here
$DSCN0918.jpg
or you can get one custom made by Walker Briar Works for around $30 +/-

Aside from the stem being a little faulty the pipe is wonderful, I'm really glad I purchased the pipe. I might still get another one for my aromatics, and I'll definately get one larger gourd calabash.

Top Bottom