What's new

Cal Ripkin Challenges - 2,632 in a Row (The hardest challenge in B&B)

I am hoping this is tongue in cheek. If so, well played.

In case it is not, he is talking about using the same BRAND of blade for all the shaves, not the actual same blade.

Sorry that just struck me as funny. I hope nobody tries the same blade that long! Although I would be curious how many times it would still cut! That would be painful!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
YIKES!! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Best of luck gentlemen!!

(I would not stand a chance!!)
Lol. Me too my friend. No job, shave when I feel like it, or the War Department says to.

WAY too many samples from my B&B brethren to get through, both soap AND blades.

This thread is one I will follow, but not join.

I, quite unfortunately, am a "maximalist!" So minimalism is something I know I should embrace, but won't.

I recycle or repurpose Everything I Can, compost, grow organic, but I am into acquisition, like an oil baron, LOL!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I would do this happily and easily with my straight razor, Wee Scot, and Tabac.
Sadly, I am in the middle of a PIF that’s based on using up an entire tub of MdC and I will not finish it in time to start this.
And I miss Tabac and cannot use it again until this PIF is done and I won’t go an additional 7 years without Tabac.
And for those reasons I’m out!!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sadly, I am in the middle of a PIF that’s based on using up an entire tub of MdC and I will not finish it in time to start this.
And I miss Tabac and cannot use it again until this PIF is done and I won’t go an additional 7 years without Tabac.
Best reason I've read yet!

You can start these challenges anytime. Just wait until you are done with the MdC.

I once had a cheap synthetic brush I really liked and used exclusively from about 2001-2004. I'm guessing I put around 1200 consecutive shaves on it. That is as close as I could ever come in a challenge like this though, lol. Good luck!

I appreciate the spirit of these challenges and have used the same brush and DE razor daily at home since Sept 2017. Also am working through the many soaps in backstock 3017 style (use one soap continually until finished).

Part of minimalism and simplicity for me is letting go of stuff. My bias is to avoid adding the rules and administration such as daily logging and measurement needed to officially participate.

Will follow with interest and support the challenges.

1577868486994.png

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I just realized it’s 7 years. Wow!! I can do it once I finish the MdC. Been at the same jar for 13 months now. Same straight and same brush too.
So only the soap will change. I will use only Tabac.

I just realized it’s 7 years. Wow!! I can do it once I finish the MdC. Been at the same jar for 13 months now. Same straight and same brush too.
So only the soap will change. I will use only Tabac.

You can start the razor, blade, brush, and everyday shaver challenges now if you like. If you are reasonably confident in your records, you can backdate the starting date for the 13 months. I suggest including the soap. You can either continue with MDC or start over with Tabac when the time comes.

In a way, I see the Cal Ripkin challenges as a fight against the "weapons of influence" others will use to sabotage my journey. Like the devils, these weapons have names: reciprocation, commitment, consistency, social proof, liking, authority, and scarcity. (Paraphrased from Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini.)

The opposition will tempt me with razors, blades, soaps, and brushes, but I will not yield.

My attitude makes the fight easier. It is a challenge, not a curse. Any stumbling block turns into a stepping stone for higher achievement. All things are possible for the person with determination and courage. I have a purpose and a plan and the determination to carry them out.
Hill, Napoleon. Napoleon Hill:Yesterday and Today for Tomorrow - Kindle Edition.

My plan is simple. Six times 2,632. The trail is simply defined, but simple is not easy. However, "simple" frees us from oppression.

Baby Turkeys

Baby turkeys cheep to stimulate the mother to feed them. No cheep, no food, turkey dies. Turkeys are so stupid, they will try to feed anything that cheeps. Humans are no different

In fact, automatic, stereotyped behavior is prevalent in much of human action, because in many cases it is the most efficient form of behaving, and in other cases, it is simply necessary.
Cialdini PhD, Robert B.. Influence (Collins Business Essentials) (pp. 6-7). HarperCollins e-books. Kindle Edition.

Unscrupulous influencers cheep like baby turkeys to trigger reflexive buying responses. Those held by constrictors of buying addictions entice me with the siren calls of variety, fear of boredom, and social isolation.

Without a defense, capturing me may take one correctly chosen word that engages a strong psychological principle and sets an automatic behavior tape rolling within me.
Cialdini PhD, Robert B.. Influence (Collins Business Essentials) (p. 10). HarperCollins e-books. Kindle Edition.

I switched to Astra SP blades instead of Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades. The Astra Sps have better longevity and give a closer shave after 25 shaves. Unfortunately, I had to start the count over for the blades and single setup challenges.

1578131763082.png

Top Bottom