What's new

Cajun Butter Mix

Hey All....

I'm looking for your...Store Bought...ALREADY MIXED...In a Package or Container....seasoning you use to make Cajun Butter.

NOT- looking for a recipe!!!!!

Here's what I'm wanting: Just a Cajun Mix that you recommend. I see and read that most of the Cajun/Creole mixes are heavy with salt.

What I want to do:

Melt a stick of butter...add a 1/4 can of beer...add seasoning and use. Melt a stick/ half a stick butter...dash/drops of Worcestershire sauce ...seasoning and use this.

I just want to bake or grill some oysters in the half shell and spread some Cajun Butter on them as they cook. Maybe a dash/drop of hot sauce and then some parmesan cheese on top.

Has anyone tried these???

Parrain's Cajun Butter Seasoning???
Parrain's Cajun Butter Seasoning - Shaker - https://www.theoysterbed.com/products/parrains-cajun-butter-seasoning-shaker

Ragin Cajun-Blue Can

Cajun's Choice-Red Can/Creole Seasoning

McCormicks-Perfect Pinch Cajun

Luizanne-Creole Seasoning

Louisana BBQ Shrimp Mix

I have read that Tony Charere's and Zatarains Creole are very salty.

Post up your recommended Cajun/Creole seasoning that I can make some butter for my oysters.

Thanks!!!

1582672445961.png

1582672326024.png

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I see and read that most of the Cajun/Creole mixes are heavy with salt.

They are. It's pretty tricky to find a readily available Cajun seasoning that isn't. If you really are dead set on buying something already mixed, THIS is pretty good stuff that has a good deal less salt than Zatarain's or Tony's (although it has a fair amount of salt). I've seen a couple that have no salt, but I've never tried them so cannot recommend them.

Of the ones you put up there, Zatarain's probably is my favorite, but the only one I don't care for is McCormick's. But, yes, they all have a ton of salt.

Frankly, if you are looking for something that truly is low in salt (or has none), you're probably better off mixing your own. For those who are so interested, there are loads of copycat recipes for any of the popular mixes, but mine is:

• 5 Tbsp paprika
  • 4 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 2 Tbsp onion powder
  • 2 Tbsp ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper (or less, if you want it milder)
  • 2 Tbsp ground dried oregano
  • 2 Tbsp ground dried thyme
  • 1 Tbsp ground bay leaf (maybe a little more or less)
  • 1 Tbsp sea salt (or less, or none at all)
It's simple enough to throw together, and I always have all those ingredients on hand (although I need to grind the bay leaves--you can buy them ground, though). It's easy to play around with, too.

They are. It's pretty tricky to find a readily available Cajun seasoning that isn't. If you really are dead set on buying something already mixed, THIS is pretty good stuff that has a good deal less salt than Zatarain's or Tony's (although it has a fair amount of salt). I've seen a couple that have no salt, but I've never tried them so cannot recommend them.

Of the ones you put up there, Zatarain's probably is my favorite, but the only one I don't care for is McCormick's. But, yes, they all have a ton of salt.

Frankly, if you are looking for something that truly is low in salt (or has none), you're probably better off mixing your own. For those who are so interested, there are loads of copycat recipes for any of the popular mixes, but mine is:

• 5 Tbsp paprika
  • 4 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 2 Tbsp onion powder
  • 2 Tbsp ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper (or less, if you want it milder)
  • 2 Tbsp ground dried oregano
  • 2 Tbsp ground dried thyme
  • 1 Tbsp ground bay leaf (maybe a little more or less)
  • 1 Tbsp sea salt (or less, or none at all)
It's simple enough to throw together, and I always have all those ingredients on hand (although I need to grind the bay leaves--you can buy them ground, though). It's easy to play around with, too.

Thanks for this recipe. Looks good and will try it.

Shelby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Someone posted a salt-free or reduced salt Tony's on here some time back. I haven't seen it in the store yet but I still have about half a shaker full of the original and another half of the 'more spice' left.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Someone posted a salt-free or reduced salt Tony's on here some time back. I haven't seen it in the store yet but I still have about half a shaker full of the original and another half of the 'more spice' left.

That is what I used to keep around before I started mixing my own. It's pretty cool stuff, but it's still mighty salty

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
That is what I used to keep around before I started mixing my own. It's pretty cool stuff, but it's still mighty salty

I do the same with BBQ rubs. Mix them myself to reduce that salt. Your recipe looks like it would also work for Baby Backs!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I do the same with BBQ rubs. Mix them myself to reduce that salt. Your recipe looks like it would also work for Baby Backs!

Oh, definitely. There is one brand of rub that I'll buy, but I otherwise mix my own. My rib rub is similar, but with a few key changes:

Black peppercorns, whole – 3-4 tbsp.

Coriander seed, whole – 1-2 tbsp.

Dill seed, whole – 1 tbsp.

Thyme, dried – 1 tbsp.

Oregano, dried – 1 tbsp.

Chili powder – 3 tbsp.

Cumin, ground – 1 tsp-1 tbsp.

Brown sugar – 4 tbsp

Kosher salt – 1 tbsp.

Garlic powder – 2 tbsp.

Grind whole spices finely. Mix in remaining spices, salt, and sugar. The variations in there have a lot to do with my whim at the time.

Top Bottom