What's new

Caisson DE blades

5B45DC36-EF1C-453A-B665-86034FFB177D.jpeg

Third shave with the Caisson blade tonight, a day and a half growth with my Lupo 58. The blade still took the easy parts easily, but struggled more with my usual trouble areas. My jawline required more cleanup. More of my neck is still rough ATG. And while I didn't draw any blood this time on my first pass, I got numerous weepers on my mustache shaving ATG today, several of which were close to requiring my Proraso gel ripatore to seal, though they ultimately did not. More alum feedback, and more irritation too. I'm not sure if this was an off-day for me or if the Caisson isn't aging well. I expect to get a week out of my blades, so I'll find out when I try it 1 more time on Sunday in my Henson medium.

Second shave, different razor

full

Last night I used the same razor as my first shave, but with a different blade for comparison. I used what I have referred to as the "Chinese Voskhod," a product of Gillette's Shanghai factory. I haven't used one of these in that razor yet so it seemed like a good blind test. I kept everything else the same as best I could.

Unfortunately, as expected, this blade is better than the Caisson. The blade is a normal width and this further cemented my belief that the Caisson is narrower, the narrower blade producing a more patchy shave. I also think the sharpness is close as I had hoped based on feel and per pass reduction. Obviously the width plays some part, but I tend to go even lighter with a blade that is cutting as expected. The quality of the edge is where the biggest difference lies, it's visible even. But more importantly, the feel is completely smooth without any prickly sensation. And no unexpected weepers, even though they were minor with the Caisson. If I am going to keep my own integrity, I have to bring some reality to a review. As I said previously, the blades are perfectly serviceable if you are already ordering other items. However, these are still one level of quality below what I will buy because there are so many blades readily available online at $13/100. I don't see any reason to search out anything cheaper even on a very low budget, that should be nearly a years worth of blades for about $1/month!

Tonights shave was very nice with my chosen razor, it's less aggressive than the previous one in spite of it's appearance. The first pass produced basically no blade feel at all, except on my slightly irritated neck. This felt like a neutral exposure razor, but this isn't a neutral exposure razor! The second pass produced more feel as expected due to the open comb plate, but the feel wasn't too uncomfortable. Some blades are already cutting my skin if I feel the edge so this a mixed bag, at least I didn't get cut! There was no pink lather, but a weeper or two appeared later on like last time. Confusingly, not really, the shave results were the same as the first shave with a more aggressive razor. The reason that I have found for this is closeness is more a product of blade sharpness than razor aggression. A more aggressive razor being better for me to get a more even shave, but in this case it's a tie.

The next shave will be with the "Chinese Voskhod" again in this razor to compare. Then I will move the Caisson to another razor, I think these will have four shaves in them.

14AE9D64-F7D5-417E-952C-4F87EB581B57.jpeg

Fourth shave with this Caisson blade, first with the Henson medium. 1 small weeper on the mustache, 1 tiny one I noticed on my neck just before final rinse. Still no tugging. Just ~32 hours of stubble this time, but no trouble with my thicker chin hairs and just little trouble with my mustache. Could have used more cleanup on my neck and left jawline, but still a DFS+. Not much irritation, but I didn’t clean up as much either.

The Caisson has made it a week, so it’s done. Overall, it’s sharp enough for me, though I don’t have the heaviest beard in the world. And it’s pretty smooth as well. Seems a very good blade, at least it works for me. Next time, I’ll give one a full week in my preferred Henson, but it’ll be a bit before I get to that. Thanks again, @BaPh96!

Third shave

full

Trying the blade in my Timeless was instructive, if a bit absurd. I know how a lot of blades perform in this razor, but the average person buying these blades isn't exactly a Timeless owner.

The shave went quickly without any sign of trouble, but storm clouds were gathering unseen. I blasted through the first pass as the Timeless is prone to do. Man did that feel nice, I had some longer stubble than normal. This feels suspiciously similar to a Lord family blade; one of the sharper ones that has bad quality control. Like a Platinum class mixed with a Rainbow maybe.

The real discomfort started appearing on the second pass. I wasn't exactly going against the grain nor trying any fancy manoeuvres, but I got some mild weepers like usual. The blade is still sharp enough, but the irritation is getting worse. The edge is still uncomfortable as it has been from the beginning, only worse. And, to be fair, only going south to north. I mean if splashing water on your face is causing stinging, their is clearly a problem.

Still, now that it's done my face feels nice and smooth. But I know doing this again is going to be a no-no. I will once again put the other blade in for comparison tomorrow then try the Caisson one last time in a different razor. I think this blade could go more than four shaves, but I am only willing to push one more shave past significant discomfort. It's great that it doesn't degrade noticeably, but it would be better if they ground the edge better from the beginning.

If the claimed hardness is actually correct, that may go some way toward explaining the problem. High HRC edges are notoriously difficult to sharpen and prone to micro chipping during sharpening. I could imagine a blade machine, with the speed they run, may produce less consistent quality with steel like this. I am not sure how other manufacturers are mitigating this, because they are, but maybe it involves multiple passes through the same honing stage? With a straight razor, you would need to check with magnification after you felt the edge was just about there to make sure the last polishing stone didn't push the edge too far.

Well.... With work and life being hectic number 6 got pushed back all the way to Monday the 11th which means I dove into this one with close to a weeks growth 😳 I apologize for the scarry image of my ugly mug in this thread since I appear to have sort of that deer in the headlights look 🤦🏻‍♂️
PXL_20220711_235648494~2.jpg
PXL_20220711_235820754.jpg

So... I boldly did a warm water wash and rinse with Cremo Daily Face Wash followed by face lathering with Caisson Fire for Effect Soap. Of course in keeping with this being the original blade on shave #6 flipped loaded in the Merkur 34 C I wasn't entirely sure what to expect.
Pass number 1 WTG using short strokes and rinsing when both lather channels were filled to prevent the longer whiskers from clogging the razor I managed only one wheeper on the right jaw line, which is one of my trouble spots. And noted a bit more of stubble than usual left behind.
I then applied a spot of alum to the weeper, giving it a minute or two and then did a warm water rinse of my face, before once again face lathering. And doing pass number two, across the grain, doing each side of my face starting at the ear and moving towards the middle with some overlap on the chin. The neck tends to be more angled shaving than true across the grain, since I have had better results with less irritation this way. No new weepers but some irritation on the neck.
Warm water rinse to get rid of the soap residue followed by a cold water splash and full application of the alum block. Allowed it to sit while cleaning up my shaving gear. Warm water rinse, towel off and apply Nivea shave balm.
Follow up inspection gave me the faint feeling of stubble but overall a good shave.
PXL_20220712_001931356~2.jpg

My evaluation the next morning is that it resulted in a socially acceptable shave. I would say that evaluation of blade number 1 for me is that it was slightly above average in the 34c and worth the price. Rather than ditching blade number 1 I believe I may keep it to see how if I can get one or two more out of it.

I will move on to my Gillette Heritage razor which we know has a Muhle r89 head for blade number 2.
After all the point of this whole thread is a bunch of us giving multiple points of view with different equipment and different faces. After all we know YMMV.

Tuck of blades shipped to @Grundi to join in the adventure of a newly marketed blade. There are still some to be had if anyone else is interested in joining in the fun.

The journey continues....

The Caisson slips in for its third shave....

SofD07132022.jpg

First pass, with the grain at 5.
Second pass, across the grain inward at 7.
Third pass, across the grain outward at 8.
Results were an excellent BBS shave.

This is only the third time using this (same) blade but it's holding up quite well. I'm still getting that "thin" sound from this blade, but it keeps mowing my facial hair down without issue.

Caisson Stainless Blade #1 - Shave #1

TL;DR -
very good 1st shave, close, with just a hint of roughness

Equipment: Fatip Piccolo Closed Comb Slant (FCCS), Caisson Blade(1), PdP 63 shave Soap

The Shave: the shave was a close, DFS shave, and overall the blade performed well. Typical, for me, most blades have a hint of roughness out of the wrapper on Shave#1, then settles down for the next shaves. PdP 63 is one of my favorite shave soaps and provides an excellent lather blade for the Blade to work with. The Caisson paired nicely with the FCCS and made quick work of my whiskers. On to shave#2.

Caisson Stainless Blade #1 - Shave #1

TL;DR -
very good 1st shave, close, with just a hint of roughness

Equipment: Fatip Piccolo Closed Comb Slant (FCCS), Caisson Blade(1), PdP 63 shave Soap

The Shave: the shave was a close, DFS shave, and overall the blade performed well. Typical, for me, most blades have a hint of roughness out of the wrapper on Shave#1, then settles down for the next shaves. PdP 63 is one of my favorite shave soaps and provides an excellent lather blade for the Blade to work with. The Caisson paired nicely with the FCCS and made quick work of my whiskers. On to shave#2.
I love me some PDP 63 as well. Fantastic scent and performance.

Caisson Stainless Blade #1 - Shave #2 & #3

TL;DR -
Shave#2 DFS, similar to Shave #1; however Shave #3, DFS+, was excellent

Equipment Shave #2: Fatip Piccolo Closed Comb Slant (FCCS), Caisson Blade(2), CTS Cowboy Spice Shave Soap
Equipment Shave #3: Gillette Slim, Caisson Blade(3), back to PdP 63 Shave Soap

The Shaves: Shave #2 was very similar to Shave #1, except for the soap, CTS does a great job with the scents and the lather is wonderful. Shave #3 was a the same in closeness, but a step up in comfort. PdP 63 shave soap is top shelf lather for me, and the Caisson blade paired very nicely with the Gillette Slim on 5. The blade shaved very close in both razors, but the comfort level was a step up in the Slim.

Four, five and done

full

My face has been taking a beating with the blade testing. So with unknown number of days growth, the Caisson already loaded in my Focus and the soap already in the lather bowl strangely(scratches head), I went for it this morning. With lather still left, I moved the blade over to a post war tech clone(Star) for my usual evening shave just now.

I think I found the code to unlock this blade, a neutral exposure razor. Even when there is some blade feel, it is indistinct and lacking any specific character. It is just a blade edge. This isn't going to produce a close shave, but the tilted slant helped there. I did my usual two pass shave and there was a lot of blade skipping(noisy). The blade is performing like a new Tatra/Tiger, which don't work for me out of the package. It might be skipping, but it isn't chattering with this razor! So I kept at it and was surprised to get a very even shave, this is more important to me than closeness. I had no irritation or red dots and was very satisfied with the face feel afterwards, a solid DFS. Easily as good as the first shave, if not better.

By the evening shave, there was stubble to remove. I was still enjoying rubbing my face, but I knew I wasn't going to be looking good in the morning without another shave. I moved the blade over to my Star and commenced to perform a period correct reenactment! One pass, long fast strokes. Pulled up in a few places to clean up my jaw and made sure my fast growing neck was thoroughly cleared. There was definitely stubble in the lather throughout the shave and I could feel the difference afterwards. This was a solid DFS-, not particularly close with even more skipping of hairs. I got a nick, plenty of blood involved. Like usual with this razor, all I was doing was repositioning the razor and the exposed blade corner got me. Another nice shave overall.

I am calling this blade done, that fourth shave has to have put an outsized amount of wear on the edge. If I was going to be doing a single pass per day with a mildish razor, I have zero doubt that I could get a weeks worth of shaves out of this blade. I would need to start the blade on Sunday night because the last two shaves would be CCS, not DFS. I wish I had a pot metal Merkur slant to try this blade in because I think that might be best beginner combo. Obviously there are other suitable options, but I think a slant makes the most sense for this blade considering it is narrower and only medium sharpness. Once again I have to reiterate that while it is nice when a company goes out of their way to source usable blades, I don't see it as necessary nor a good use of their time. There simply are better blades on the market for the same or less and they could have cardboard tucks made with their company name and just repackage some other suitable blade(Personna Supers in bulk boxes?). For the 100 packs, since they usually come on a hanging card, they could have a custom box made and just drop the tucks right in.

I would like to thank @BaPh96 for providing the blades for me to try out. I will return in about a month, possibly with another slant, to try out another of the blades. Thanks everybody for reading!

Caisson Stainless Blade #1 - Shave #4

TL;DR -
worked for a DFS, comfortable shave, but blade is done

Equipment: Gillette Slim(5), Caisson Blade(4), A&E Asian Pear Shave Soap

The Shave: For me, the pairing of the Gillette Slim on 5 and the Caisson Blade remained smooth and drama free, but the blades left behind some stubble that needed extra buffing to clean up. A&E Asian Pear is a wonderful fruity scent and an excellent lather base to shave with. So after 4 really good shaves, this blade is done.

Thank You @BaPh96 for the opportunity to try these Caisson Stainless Blades!! Four very good, comfortable shaves is all I can ask of any blade!!

Sorry I'm late for the Caisson shave in.!
I did a 5 O'clock Shadow shave yesterday.
The blade did fairly good except it was rough on my neck area. On a scale of 1-5 I give it a solid #3.:thumbup1:
Todays A.M. three pass shave was much smoother especially on my neck & wound up with a DFS. I give it a #4 overall. I wonder how @FarmerTan is doing with this blade.?? I know he has a beard like Barb Wire. :w00t:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sorry I'm late for the Caisson shave in.!
I did a 5 O'clock Shadow shave yesterday.
The blade did fairly good except it was rough on my neck area. On a scale of 1-5 I give it a solid #3.:thumbup1:
Todays A.M. three pass shave was much smoother especially on my neck & wound up with a DFS. I give it a #4 overall. I wonder how @FarmerTan is doing with this blade.?? I know he has a beard like Barb Wire. :w00t:
I used to date a girl named Barbara Wyre.

She was too prickly for me.

True story doggone!

Caisson Blade #1 Shave #4
Tools: Lupo Razor, Timberwolf brush & VITO's Tabaco shave cream.
Got a nice three pass shave this A.M. resulting in a DFS.
The VITO Tabaco provided plenty of slickness & glide with the Lupo razor.
The Caisson blade has really smoothed out from first use. :thumbup1:
@Demolition should take note of this phenomenon.:w00t:

Obviously there are other suitable options, but I think a slant makes the most sense for this blade considering it is narrower and only medium sharpness.

I will return in about a month, possibly with another slant, to try out another of the blades.

Well it's a month year later and I am back, finally! I have had this in the works for at least a month, blade loaded and ready. :letterk1:

full

TLDR: as suspected, the slant was the right choice with this blade!

I have had several false starts getting around to this blade again; difficulty choosing a razor, etc. I wanted to keep this realistic because these are budget blades so the most expensive thing here is actually the SV soap in the crystal tub! Hmm, actually the horse hair brush may be more... at least I pulled off an accidental Italian themed shave.

This was more interesting than if I had gotten around to this sooner, I have been using a lot of previously unfamiliar blades lately. The ones that most come to mind are Dorco Prime, their top offering. They are still cheaper than this Caisson blade per hundred. The thing is, I have gotten to know that blade better now and I think these are closer sharpness than different. And those are Vietnamese Nacets for me!

I have never got along with this Fatip razor and it's fiddly alignment problem, even when it's aligned properly it has tended to rough up my face pretty good. What I discovered is with less sharp blades, it's pulling the skin in close to the blade and scrapping. After finally fitting a Bic to it, I discovered it's secret. The problem is that I can only get two shaves out of the Bic because they are so sharp that my face can't handle it when they loose their coating! This blade solves that.

First pass, I made sure I was going straight north to south, no slides(it's a slant). This went quickly, but involved many short fast strokes. There was virtually no blade feel, as expected, but nice long stubble in the lather! I was able to do this in three sections: left, right and goatee area. All of them taking strokes from my cheeks down my neck. I didn't manage to catch the backward growing hairs at the bottom badly so the shave was off to a good start, but I didn't mention how good of a lather I had made because it's not relevant to the blade. I can't help mentioning that I have never gotten SV this dense while still being adequately hydrated, it's got to be the brush.

Second pass was straight south to north, as few trick shaving manoeuvres as possible. This is where I was nervous and awaited my inevitable face mangling. But it never came because this blade's narrower width and milder sharpness compared to a Bic worked like magic! Like the first pass, this took a lot of buffing strokes. I kept this to two passes without a touch up pass, but I am not sure it's right to label it as a two pass shave as I took enough strokes for a three passer. The results were good, DFS+ territory. The face face feel was awesome, smooth with a slight tightening(not too much). I could shave with this combination every day and don't feel like there would be any problems encountered. Except with the alignment issue, which became a problem toward the end of this shave.

I think I have typed enough words now and last year about this blade so I don't think I will likely return after reviving this thread. Unless something interesting happens, I will just do 1-3 more shaves until I get tugging and no further. :devil:

Top Bottom